Toronto George Brown College Waterfront Campus | ?m | 8s | George Brown | KPMB

Yeah, I think "campus" needs to be put in perspective a bit. I mean one building, five, ten, what? I wouldn't mind one building, but "campus" kind of scares me, sounds too restricting.

George Brown College has recently bought a 30,000-square-foot building at 230 Richmond St. E., which it is currently renovating.
I think that's the former "Click, Double Click" building that runs between Richmond St. W. and Britain St. Good thing they built that walkway through Space!

No its the first building west of the one that has Stonecutters Pub in it. Been under renovation for a while now. The connection through Space wasn't put in for this but it certainly comes in handy now.

I am all for having some College buildings on the waterfront, but I wouldnt want to see a "campus" there. I fear it would create too much of an isolated feel. If a couple of buildings were tied into the fabric of a mixed use area, then go ahead, but if it becomes a set district, I am against the idea.

Six hectares isn't going to be too big as to be deadening. At least there will also be Corus across the street, condos to the west and eventually to the east, public parks, and the East Bayfront LRT. George Brown has a huge continuing education program, so there will be evening and Saturday activity most of the year as well.

Can someone help me visualize what's going whereon QQ East? Pier 27 is to the west of Redpath, right? And Corus and GB are to the east? Or am I mixed up?

On a divergent but relevant note, one of the most annoying things about U of T is the complete lack of any businesses or services on campus. It wouldn't be a big deal if the school just went from St. George to Queen's Park, but as it sprawls outward, it's a real pain that there isn't even a single convenience store or coffee shop open past 6 pm. I'm sure some university administrator who drives in from King City would think that it would take away from the wonderful campus academic experience, but for the thousands of students who live in residence, it's not so great. Once the dining halls close at 8, there's nowhere to even get a snack on campus. Of course we all know that university students go to bed at 10 to be bright and fresh for their morning classes...

Six hectares is pretty massive. I hope this turns out alright.

If George Brown treats the site as a "location" rather than a "campus" surrounded by institutional forcefields... that is to say it is designed and animated (public space, coffee and a few fast food bites) as part of the future urban fabric (I always feel welcome wandering through Ryerson )... it will be a great addition and nice accelerant for the pie-in-the-sky schedule of our East Bayfront dreams.

I hope they dream up something that is designed to invite the public to hang out... I would love to see a GB cafe with it's own evolving menu (sort of an Equity Showcase for future food superstars).

Ryerson is probably not the best model to follow when it comes to planning George Brown's new 'campus' (or at least what Ryerson looks like right now). Sure, Ryerson fits into the urban fabric, but it isn't designed for the urban fabric. The campus does not address street-level walkability, how buildings meet the street, etc. This is something that Ryerson is only beginning to address in its master plan, and probably not the best spot for George Brown to look for design answers.

I would love to see a GB cafe with it's own evolving menu (sort of an Equity Showcase for future food superstars).

How about a George Brown version of Captain John's? A ship that offers haute-cuisine at competitive prices will definitely draw people down to the waterfront.

Models don't matter.... Ryerson is an example. For all it's flaws it is welcoming to the rest of the world... even the students seem to know they live and learn in a city, not a campus bubble.

It's the "welcome" that has to be insinuated in every planning doc... simple but usually forgotten.

George Brown Satelite Campus - East Bayfront

Lakeside George Brown campus to be announced

JENNIFER LEWINGTON

July 8, 2008

The development of a lakeside satellite campus for landlocked George Brown College is expected to be announced today by Waterfront Toronto, with Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, Energy and Infrastructure Minister George Smitherman and Toronto Mayor David Miller due to attend.

A new complex, located east of the $160-million Corus Entertainment project now under construction in East Bayfront between Jarvis and Cherry Streets, has been long hinted at as a consolidated site for the college's health-care students.

When completed over the next decade, East Bayfront is to include 6,000 residential units and 230,000 square metres of commercial space.

Back