News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 839     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Vancouver’s Multi-Modal Success Story
Imagine the possibilities if we didn't have a shitty council standing in the way of progress.
Wow...as well as having a massive case of envy, I've got to say that it's more than just Council in Toronto. Toronto Council pretty much represents the Toronto Mentality.

An observation watching the drivers and cyclists in that vid: Very similar to the behaviour seen in Dutch and Danish ones. The cyclists are *choreographed*...they're all moving in cadence, not doing crazy things like you see rampant in Toronto. Perhaps that was all edited out...but I don't get that impression. There is something *socially different* about what that vid celebrates. Is it a west coast thing? Perhaps...

I was on vacation for the eight minutes watching that. Thank you. I'm inspired again...

Just watched that vid again, I'm absolutely intrigued. Keep asking myself "how much of that was staged, if any at all?" What also strikes me is how so many in the vids I'm watching are riding *sensible bikes*, ones that match their need. Again, this is reminiscent of what is popular in the Danish and Dutch vids.
Vancouver records spectacular increases in cycling trips
In advance of Bike to Work Week, city residents are taking to two-wheelers like never before

by Charlie Smith on May 25th, 2016 at 5:23 PM
[...]
Vancouver's growth in cycling is being noticed internationally. LaClaire said that he was recently at a conference in Amsterdam, where people were surprised to hear how cycling is becoming so much more popular in a North American city.

Bike to Work Week promotes cycling
Over at the bicycle-advocacy group Hub Cycling, the director of corporate engagement and events, Laura Jane, is ecstatic about how things are progressing. In 2007, 3,550 people signed up for Bike to Work Week. This year, she hopes Hub can reach its goal of 13,000 participants.

There are 75 events taking place during the week. At “celebration stations”, people can stop for free coffee, free snacks, and free bike repairs. Logging on to Hub’s website makes them eligible to win bicycles or a trip to cycling-crazy Amsterdam.

Jane explained over the phone that cycling to work is a great way to incorporate regular exercise into the day. She also said that people often underestimate how much time they can save by cycling.

“You don’t have to drive around in search of parking and you don’t get stuck in traffic,” she said.

Jane added that people who bike to work are often happier commuters. And once newcomers learn to get comfortable cycling during Bike to Work Week, they often continue.

“We do follow-up surveys after the event,” she said. “Most of the people stick with it on a regular basis.”

In fact, Bike to Work Week has been such a success that Hub is adding two more events on this year’s calendar: Bike to Shop Day on August 13 and Bike the Night, which will take place on an unspecified evening later this summer. Bike the Night was inspired by a similar event in Montreal that, she said, attracted approximately 17,000 people.
[...]
Separated bike lanes boost safety
According to LaClaire, one of the biggest obstacles to cycling is the perception that it’s not safe. That's where the separated bike lanes have helped.

"The more that we build these facilities where people can visualize themselves taking that route on a bike, the more likely they will," LaClaire said. "I would say the rsults of what we see on these investments kind of validates what people have been telling us in our surveys."

At first, the city created bikeways on nonarterial streets between arterials. The Ontario bikeway runs between Main and Cambie streets. The Heather bikeway is between Cambie and Oak streets. The bikeways along Cypress and Angus are between Granville and Arbutus.

"A lot of other cities didn't approach it that way," LaClaire explained. "It was actually pretty unique in North America."

In more recent years, separate bikeways have been added to busier streets, such as Hornby and Dunsmuir.

That's not to say that safety isn't still a concern. The City of Vancouver’s 2015 cycling-safety study identified 19 locations where there had been 10 or more reported collisions between 2007 and 2012.

Green paint and intervention to prevent right turns going west were added at the most dangerous site: the north end of the Burrard Bridge and Pacific Street. Green paint was also added to three more of the top six crash locations, a traffic circle was removed from a fifth, and a new protected bike lane was added at a sixth.

After taking bicycle volumes into account, the neighbourhoods where collisions were most likely were Sunset, Shaughnessy, Victoria-Fraserview, and Killarney.

“This suggests that the neighbourhoods with the least amount of cycling and cycling infrastructure had the highest cycling collision likelihood,” the report stated.

DunsmuirBikeLane-SH.jpg

According to the City of Vancouver, separated bike lanes like this one on Dunsmuir enhance safety for cyclists.
Stephen Hui
LaClaire said statistics indicate that there has been a decrease in collisions involving cyclists as their number has sharply increased. That’s because motorists are more likely to keep an eye out for two-wheelers when there are more of them on the roads.

And he suggested that the rising popularity of cycling couldn’t have been anticipated 20 years ago because the forecasting models were based on people who were living in Vancouver at that time.

“One of the flaws with that system is it assumes the people of the future are like the people of the past,” LaClaire stated. “These young people behave differently than the young people of 20 years ago.”

One of the reasons is the growing awareness of climate change. Another is the cost of living has shot up in Vancouver, making it more difficult to operate a car on an average income while grappling with student loans.

Still another is the introduction of the UPass program at postsecondary institutions.

"I think that's been a huge, huge help," LaClaire said. "I mean, everyone gets a bus pass when they go to university. And they inevitably get to know the transit system."

Bike to Work Week is welcomed at Vancouver City Hall because it increases the chances that even more people will take up cycling, freeing up road space by having fewer vehicles in the commuting pool.

"They may not bike to work all the time," LaClaire said, "but even if they only do it once a week—for us on the transportation side—that's huge. That's a 20 percent reduction in their car trips."
http://www.straight.com/life/705251/vancouver-records-spectacular-increases-cycling-trips

Just re-reading this, looking for clues to understanding what it is that Van has beyond the normal "Left Coast" stereotypes (which is a factor, but not the major one), and here's a very important clue, maybe I just *want* to believe this, but it gives me hope for Toronto:

“One of the flaws with that system is it assumes the people of the future are like the people of the past,” LaClaire stated. “These young people behave differently than the young people of 20 years ago.”

Last edited:
Intuitively I built up my latest set of wheels with slightly wider 36 hole touring rims, heavier gauge spokes, but double butted DTs, and larger section tires. This was for endurance and comfort, and got tired (pun not intended) of having to true my wheels after every rough distance trip. You can 'go bigger' without much of a performance loss. (My rims are still true going into the third year, high mileage, and many of those miles on trails...these are *road rims!*)

I have a classic Reynolds 531 frame, very narrow old school, and maxed section in rear at 28c, use 25c on the front, up from 25c on the rear and 23c on front. In my old parts box are 18c tires from the manic days of risk-taking decades ago. What was I thinking? What was cycling altogether thinking? And how did all the performance claims get it so wrong? I note a trend back to steel machines when not racing, and the realization that *behaviour* trumps ultra light weight when doing distance. Since the article below was published, 28c are now considered optimal section for most uses. Brace yourselves for a return to cross laced wheels too. They are by far the best (2 over, one under still being considered the strongest and most forgiving) in terms of durability and ride comfort at only a slight weight cost).
Trend spotting: Why you need to switch to wider tyres
by Mat Brett March 7 2016
13 Comments

If you’re still running 23mm tyres on your road bike, it could be time you made the jump to 25s, or even wider

For many years 23mm wide tyres were the default choice for road bikes. Many racers used 21s or even narrower. In the last few years 25mm tyres have become the most popular option for both professional and amateur riders, and some riders have gone wider still. If you’ve not yet made the switch, it’s about time you did. Here’s why.

Comfort
Wide tyres can provide more comfort than narrow tyres, all other things being equal.

With a larger chamber of air between you and the road, a wider tyre allows you to drop the pressure without running the risk of a pinch flat (where the inner tube gets punctured as a result of being sandwiched between the wheel rim and the ground). The lower pressure increases the amount of cushioning you get from the road, improving your comfort.

That’s pretty straightforward, right? You’d expect a wide, soft tyre to be more comfortable than a narrow tyre that’s pumped up hard.

Check out road.cc's tyres review archive

Why is comfort important? Well, we all want to feel comfortable when we’re riding because life’s just better that way, but there’s also a performance aspect to feeling good on the bike. You can get more from your body when you’re comfortable than you can when you’re feeling battered and bruised. “Smoother is faster”, as Specialized is fond of saying.

Surely, though, the flip side is that wider tyres are slower? Well, no. It’s not as simple as that.

Rolling resistance
You’d like your tyres to roll as easily as possible but a certain amount of energy is lost through rolling resistance, which is the energy is takes to flex the tyre body where it touches the ground. Lots of factors determine rolling resistance, such as tyre width, profile, air pressure, material quality, and the thickness of the tyre casing and tread.

“Wider tyres roll faster,” says Dave Taylor, Marketing Manager at tyre brand Schwalbe. “The answer lies in tyre deflection. Each tyre is flattened a little under load. This creates a flat contact area.

“At the same tyre pressure, a wide and a narrow tyre have the same contact area. A wide tyre is flattened over its width whereas a narrow tyre has a slimmer but longer contact area.

“The flattened area can be considered as a counterweight to tyre rotation. Because of the longer flattened area of the narrow tyre, the wheel loses more of its roundness and produces more deformation during rotation. However, in the wide tyre, the radial length of the flattened area is shorter, making the tyre rounder and so it rolls better and therefore quicker.”

As Dave Taylor says, that’s when the wide tyre and the narrow tyre are pumped up to the same pressure. In truth, though, you’re likely to run a lower pressure in a wider tyre, increasing the size of the contact area. That will increase the rolling resistance above the level it would otherwise be, but according to figures from another tyre brand, Continental, a 20mm tyre with 160psi, a 23mm tyre at 123psi, a 25mm tyre at 94psi and a 28mm tyre at 80psi all have the same rolling resistance.

“In practice, the energy saving is even greater than in theory as the elasticity of the tyres absorbs road shocks, which would otherwise be transferred to the rider and so saves energy,” says Dave Taylor.

Aerodynamics
As usual, it gets more complicated when it comes to aerodynamics. It’s obviously true that a narrow tyre has a smaller frontal area than a wide tyre, but it’s useful to think of the tyre and rim together rather than just the tyre in isolation.

Wheel rims have generally started to get wider over recent years, partly because of the trend towards wider tyres. Zipp’s 58mm-deep 404 Firecrest carbon tubular (link is external), for example, has a maximum width of 27.5mm.

“Our wider rims allow the use of wider tyres,” says Zipp. “Tyre choice depends on what factor you want to prioritise: aerodynamics, CRR (coefficient of rolling resistance), grip, comfort, traction....

“You can still use narrow tyres on Zipp rims if your primary objective is aerodynamics, but if you want the ride qualities that a wider tire provides, the Zipp Firecrest and Firestrike rims do an exceptional job of supporting those tyres in their intended design profile.”

“The current trend toward creating wheels with wider rims stems from the trend toward increasing the diameter of tyres, particularly in competitive road racing,” says Paul Lew, Reynolds’ Director of Technology and Innovation. “Wider rims offer better mechanical support to large-diameter tyres and are needed to help separated airflow reattach to the rims.”

Run a 25mm tyre on many narrow rims and you get an ice cream effect: a big, bulging scoop of tyre sitting on top of a skinny cone of a rim. The mismatch between one element and the other doesn’t result in a high level of aerodynamic efficiency. However, wider rims have been designed specifically for use with wider tyres, the rims and tyres work together aerodynamically. Airflow that is separated by a wide tyre is able to reattach better to a wider rim than to a narrow rim, reducing drag.

Even if fitting a wide tyre on a narrow rim doesn't improve the aerodynamics, you might consider it a swap worth making for other reasons, such as extra comfort.

Check out Paul Lew’s short article: Is Wider Better? (link is external)
Why not go super-wide?
If this is true, why stop at 25mm? Why don’t we use 35mm or 45mm tyres on a sporty road bike?

Well, for a start they won't fit in most road bikes; a few still struggle with 25mm tyres. Second, a super-wide tyre wouldn’t work aerodynamically with existing wheel rims. And third, wider tyres would add to a wheel’s rotational weight and dull the acceleration.

For all these reasons, it seems that 25mm tyres have become the new 23. Or have they? Specialized has tacked on an extra millimetre and is making its super-quick Turbo S-Works and Turbo Cotton tyres in a 26mm width, and rolling resistance tests conducted on behalf of Velonews magazine found them to be the fastest-rolling tyres tested (link is external).

The 28mm versions of the best-rolling tyres will be faster still, and over the next few years they'll fit more and more new bikes as manufacturers expand their ranges of bikes with disc brakes.

Riders whose bikes will take them report that the 28mm versions of the fastest tyres really are another step up in comfort. For many of us they might yet turn out to be the best option.
http://road.cc/content/feature/182519-trend-spotting-why-you-need-switch-wider-tyres

http://www.straight.com/life/705251/vancouver-records-spectacular-increases-cycling-trips

Just re-reading this, looking for clues to understanding what it is that Van has beyond the normal "Left Coast" stereotypes (which is a factor, but not the major one), and here's a very important clue, maybe I just *want* to believe this, but it gives me hope for Toronto:

Vancouver seems to be an amazing case of "build it and they will come".

I think there may be other factors to consider in Vancouver (rapid rise in cost of living for one) for why their population is especially friendly to this cycling transformation, but regardless, Vancouver might soon become the first North American city considered as a top-tier cycling city.

Can we replicate this in Toronto?

Can we replicate this in Toronto?
Groan...getting in shape for this year's cycling season, I thought I'd best check-out the Bloor psycho lanes.

The answer, Wisla, is "not at this rate".

As to "First North Am top-tier city" I think a couple of US west coast ones are already there.

An a more positive tone, I'd like to hear suggestions on how we can be more like Van. I don't know if it's possible. Better? Absolutely, but Ontario in general just lacks the willingness to see past the car.

For starters, more cycling infrastructure. Then, better cycling infrastructure.

I think the Vancouver example provides a clear-cut case that cycling infrastructure has to be accessible to all. It is not a successful piece of infrastructure until you can trust that your 5 year old child and your 75 year old parent can travel the infrastructure safely and without assistance.

It was not until Vancouver reached that point, that they received massive growth in cycling usage. According to the City of Portland's Bureau of Transportation, Vancouver's case is not all that surprising.

Four Types of Transportation Cyclists
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/article/158497

4TypesofCyclists.png

If we take Portland's Bureau of Transportation word, then 4 in 5 people opt against cycling because of inadequate infrastructure and cycling conditions.

Attachments

• 4TypesofCyclists.png
    4TypesofCyclists.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 267
An a more positive tone, I'd like to hear suggestions on how we can be more like Van. I don't know if it's possible. Better? Absolutely, but Ontario in general just lacks the willingness to see past the car.
In Toronto in particular, I think that the change in grade between Bloor and Eglinton is a challenge for cycling growth, especially if we are restricted to improving cycling infrastructure solely on existing road infrastructure. The expansion of Bixi is a great example of this problem visualized. Bixi has opted to growing east-west as opposed to northward expansion.

In the interrim, we can focus on improving east-west cycling conditions and building up a critical mass of Toronto cyclists.

In the long run, I think we should think about a radical and ambitious plan for opening up the rest of the city. Would a cycling highway heading northward through the core be a feasible plan? I am imagining some sort of cycling route that is easily accessible from the downtown core's streets that pushes northward towards Eglinton Connects' cycling lanes, and is perhaps bridged at points between Eglinton and Bloor in order to minimize the impact of different grade levels there.

No clue how and where one would place such an infrastructure, but hopefully by posting this someone is inspired to create a fantasy map.

The problem is distance. No matter what you build, there's a limit on how far people are willing to travel by bike, and as the distance increases the size of obstacles (i.e. ravines) that people will put up with decreases. So, aside from Yonge Street, where do you build north? And what do you do between Yonge Boulevard and Sheppard?

The problem is distance. No matter what you build, there's a limit on how far people are willing to travel by bike, and as the distance increases the size of obstacles (i.e. ravines) that people will put up with decreases. So, aside from Yonge Street, where do you build north? And what do you do between Yonge Boulevard and Sheppard?
I have a fantasy idea of converting the Richmond Hill GO line corridor into a cycling superhighway on the city's eastern end. It can connect to a East-West cycling superhighway on the Finch Hydro Corridor. This would be the key piece of cycling infrastructure in the city's east end. It would need to be connected by east-west dedicated and protected cycling lanes on arterial streets.

Building north along Yonge has a good piece of infrastructure already in place in the Belt Line. There is a stretch along Yonge Street between Bloor and the Belt Line I would like to see better connected somehow. Can this be done via David Balfour Park trails? Or perhaps this should be done directly along Yonge Street? What can be done to minimize the effect of the changes in grade between parts of Yonge Street?

As for further up north, you solve the gap between Yonge Boulevard and Sheppard via a new piece of cycling infrastructure that's been posted before in this thread:

On the city's west end, I have not given as much thought. Filling in the Allen Road gives us interesting possibilities, but I deem that as incredibly unlikely in the forseeable future.

Perhaps Caledonia Rd can be used to connect between Eglinton and Davenport. The raillines become major obstacles in connecting that piece of a network with the Bloor cycling lanes.

I have a fantasy idea of converting the Richmond Hill GO line corridor into a cycling superhighway on the city's eastern end. It can connect to a East-West cycling superhighway on the Finch Hydro Corridor. This would be the key piece of cycling infrastructure in the city's east end. It would need to be connected by east-west dedicated and protected cycling lanes on arterial streets.

One of my fantasies is to extend the West Toronto Rail Path in both directions as much as possible, and replicate it along other rail corridors. Imagine if we can have a network of grade separated bike highways without any hills. The Barrie Line for example would have been a great place to do it. In fact that's exactly what was called for in the 2001 Bike Plan between Finch and Eglinton ("CN Newmarket Sub"). But nothing ever came out of it. There's no information on it. It's not part of the latest bike plan either. I've asked city staff about it and none of them were even aware this proposal existed. Which is a shame because if the city has no intention to create bike lanes on any north-south roads like Jane, Keele, Dufferin or Bathurst, then we need some alternatives.

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 8.50.40 PM.png

By the way, when will the railpath extension begin construction?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 8.50.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 8.50.40 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 325
By the way, when will the railpath extension begin construction?
Ravines and rail RoW are excellent for cycle routes. Don Valley is being connected north in many segments. What I really need (as do others) is a continuous swathe of cycle paths to get in and out of the city, let alone downtown. West Humber branch does that, albeit it looks like it's still truncated due to 401 bridge construction again this year. Grrrrr..... It does peter out in Brampton, but Brampton has plans to open more trails.

The problem with paths adjacent to roadways is...well...it's obvious...lol...

West Toronto Railpath is due to open to the south, but I'm unaware of plans to the north. It's right across from where I live, an excellent trunk unattached to anywhere meaningful at this point, albeit it helps jog me downtown through some of the back streets to Richmond/Adelaide paths.

West Toronto Railpath is due to open to the south, but I'm unaware of plans to the north. It's right across from where I live, an excellent trunk unattached to anywhere meaningful at this point, albeit it helps jog me downtown through some of the back streets to Richmond/Adelaide paths.

I'm aware of the plans for its extension to the south, but I was wondering if there is a timeline yet for its construction. At this point all I know is that it received federal funding last August, and that the design work is mostly (if not 100%) complete.

As for the north extension, this is the plan:

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.51.41 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.51.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.51.41 PM.png
    710 KB · Views: 294
From a paragraph from this article on Six Points intersection reconstruction, at this link:

The design also calls for physically separated bike lanes on Bloor and Dundas. (Last June, council scrapped a proposal to study bike lanes on Kipling as part of the city’s new bike plan).

Seems to me that city council still does not like bicycles.

Interesting case in London, UK that cycling orgs in Ontario and other provinces might wish to watch, it might be time for private prosecutions on some cases here. In all due respect though, London is a much more dangerous city to cycle than most, including Toronto:
Driver faces private prosecution over death of cyclist in London
Case at Old Bailey brought by cycling organisation after collision in Regent Street
  • Caroline Davies
    Monday 3 April 2017 14.00 BST

• The driver of a car that hit a cyclist who later died has appeared at the Old Bailey in a private case brought by the Cyclists’ Defence Fund.

Gail Purcell, 59, from St Albans, is charged with causing death by dangerous or inconsiderate driving, after a collision with cyclist Michael Mason, 70, in central London. She denies the charge.

Swearing in the jury, the judge said: “Somewhat unusually the prosecution in this case is not being brought by the Crown Prosecution Service but is being brought by something called the Cyclists’ Defence Fund, which is a subsidiary of Cycling UK. Therefore, they being party to the prosecution clearly, just as the CPS may not serve in other trials, so in this trial we do not want members or contributors to either of those bodies to serve.”

Opening the prosecution, Simon Spence QC told jurors the fact that a “private organisation” and not the CPS was bringing the case against Purcell “does not in any way affect your approach to the case”.

Outlining the prosecution, Spence said Purcell was driving north along Regent Street from her work at a hair salon at about 6.20pm on 25 February 2014.

He said witnesses would say Mason was offside in the middle of the road ahead of Purcell, who was driving a black Nissan Juke.

“For whatever reasons the defendant simply did not see the cyclist in the carriageway ahead of her, in circumstances where the prosecution say she should have done,” he said.

The jury was told that the car hit the cyclist, and witnesses saw him flying into the air before landing head first in the road. He was taken to St Mary’s hospital. He died 19 days later without regaining consciousness, having sustained serious head injuries consistent with vehicular collision, said Spence.

Purcell pulled her vehicle over to the left and stopped level with where Mason had landed, the court heard.

Spence said one witness would say Purcell told her at the scene: “I’m the driver. It was me. Is he OK? I just didn’t see him.” Another described seeing her car “go up and down twice like it was going over bumps”.

Purcell was described as “shaking and upset” by a police officer who attended the scene, and told him: “I honestly didn’t see him. But I did hear a noise”, said Spence.

Later, in a police interview, Purcell said Mason “must have come from nowhere”. She continued: “I realised I had hit something or something had hit me. There was an impact. I went to pull over on the left-hand side of the road and put my hazard lights on, and I then ran back to the scene. I spoke to a man with glasses and said to him: ‘I didn’t see him. I was looking at the traffic straight ahead,’” the jury heard.

Spence said she told police it was only when she ran back to the scene that she realised what had happened.

Spence said Purcell estimated her speed at 20 to 25mph, but speed was not a factor in the case: “It’s her failure to see a cyclist she should have seen.”

Experts would say she could have seen him through her windscreen, he said.
    Experts found no signs of braking or skid marks.

“This case is about a complete failure to notice a potential hazard in the form of a cyclist even when it is in front of the driver and has been hit,” said Spence.

The case continues.

Back