News   Mar 18, 2024
 825     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.8K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 788     0 

Gap closing 25% of stores

They haven't been doing well for awhile now - and frankly they should pay more attention to the stores - surly staff, messy merchandising, poor lighting.

AoD

It's unfortunate that it took this long before Gap realized the changing retail clothing market. Customers have been gravitating towards lower-cost, quickly-changing fashion apparel for years now. I'm shocked that they didn't realize this given that their Old Navy stores continue to do well.

Gap's network of stores essentially needs to be pared back; it's as simple as that. Their re-branding is going to be a challenge, especially if they don't revisit their pricing model. With the rapid introduction of the popular lower-cost clothing stores, Gap really needs to keep their pricing in line to remain competitive.

Wonder if they will close the Gap at Bay and Bloor - its a big location and the rent must be pretty expensive.

Not surprised. They kept having 40% off sales. I always waited for deep discounts to buy their overpriced stuff. Plus, you could find similar stuff at Old navy for much cheaper...or get better stuff at Banana Republic at aroudn the same price as they too have deep discounts every once in a while.

I bet both locations north of Eglinton on Yonge vanish.

I bet both locations north of Eglinton on Yonge vanish.

The Gap Kids actually does really really well (or at least it used to). Adults used to do decent as well. They obviously don't have the same sales as mall stores, but considering their square feet and rent both stores were profitable. I could see them combining both into one space to save management overhead (as they've done throughout malls).

If the men's 'section' at the Bay/Bloor location is anything to go by I am not surprised. Easily one of the worst men's depts I have ever seen. Pointless, really. They kept moving it around and it got smaller and smaller every time. And the selection is ridiculously bad. It's up there (down there?) with Forever21 (totally pointless men's section) and Club Monaco (why are they even bothering anymore with a men's dept here?) Can't lie, won't lie, though, I still buy Gap boot-cut jeans. Skinny jeans are for 19 yo's. Lol. :p

I suppose they expect men to go online and shop - and to be frank, I do that (especially when you know what size you're getting from Gap).

AoD

Back