News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 765     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

G Road Test Tips

The Brampton examination centre was moved to an industrial plaza near Steeles and 410 so it is similar to most exam centres. This was not long after the Harris/Eves government privatized the examination to a subsidiary of that great beneficiary of Conservative deregulation and privatization, SNC Lavalin. I guess at that point, they ran out of ideas for privatization.

So the once massive Rhodes centre was closed and put up for sale.

And Rhodes itself sits vacant to this day.

It sorta reminds me of an army urban operations training village - or at least a level from Call of Duty

I think they should turn it into a subdivision and leave the internal road network as-is.

But get rid of the traffic light that senses approaching cars and turns red.

Seriously, at the test look around as much as possible. Actually turn your head 90 degrees when checking your blind spot. It's completely counter-intuitive, and probably dangerous, but they're really looking for that. Turn your head at every intersection, even minor ones on an arterial road. Do it as much as possible. Your head should always be moving.

The Rhodes Centre was sold to Giffels, a large industrial developer. The place consisted of 80 acres! I don't think any development application has come forward yet. The place was one of the last remnants of the old "Parkway Belt" (anyone remember that?)

Good luck with the test Metroman.

Have to ask the obvious - is your euro license A)still valid and B)from a country that allows a straight swap, ie full foreign license for Full G license here? Only reason I ask is that if your from the UK, this is perfectly possible, I did just this, no test = less hassle...I haven't looked back(except when driving of course).

Thanks for the wishes Observer Walt.

BUGEYEDBRIT, unfortunately I'm not from one of those countries. It makes little sense though that my license is swappable with any other European Union countries, yet in Ontario, they discriminate giving a straight exchange to a country that drives on the opposite side of the road, yet not allowing that swap to a country (Spain) who has a very similar driving code to Ontario.

The loophole here is that I could have spent a few months in say Germany and had my license swapped to German, then come to Toronto and get a straight exchange.

Nonetheless, driving hasn't been that important to me to go through that loophole so I'm just doing it all over.

A family friend had a similar problem. He last lived in Japan, and wanted to get an Ontario license. Unfortunately there's no way to do it. Fortunately he also had an Australian license, which he got simply by giving them his Japanese license. That was acceptable for Ontario. The countries may be reversed, but you get the idea.

Taking my G 2 Exit Test Tomorrow!

Hey everyone! I'm taking my G2-exit test tomorrow at Lawrence Ave. East. I don't know why everyone says Morningside is so easy. I failed my G1-exit test over there 5 times. I was aksed to parallel park the first 4 times, which I managed to screw up ROYALLY. I heard that they are passing people at Vic Park now, because very few people are taking their tests there. My friend passed his G1-exit and G2-exit at Vic Park without a problem. He said that he didn't have to parallel park for either of his tests. Not being familiar with the area, he said that merging onto the Don Valley Pkwy was a bit tricky. WISH ME LUCK!

Hey everyone! I'm taking my G2-exit test tomorrow at Lawrence Ave. East. I don't know why everyone says Morningside is so easy. I failed my G1-exit test over there 5 times. I was aksed to parallel park the first 4 times, which I managed to screw up ROYALLY. I heard that they are passing people at Vic Park now, because very few people are taking their tests there. My friend passed his G1-exit and G2-exit at Vic Park without a problem. He said that he didn't have to parallel park for either of his tests. Not being familiar with the area, he said that merging onto the Don Valley Pkwy was a bit tricky. WISH ME LUCK!

See, I think being able to competently parallel park is fairly important, even if you do it rarely. If you have a decent teacher, you should be able to learn. I've never tried an SUV, maybe they are more difficult, but cars are certainly not that challenging.

I don't know what you normally drive but if you are concerned about parallel parking - rent a Mini or a Smart car, practice in it and take your test in it. You know where your back wheels are so you won't hit the curb, you know where your back bumper is so you won't hit anything behind you and the parking spot will seem huge.

Back