News   Apr 19, 2024
 345     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 673     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 740     1 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

Did he use the word 'peaceful' ? That can mean so many things depending on the context.

Anyway, in an ideal world I think downtown (and we're not referring to the financial district here) should be homes to ages of all sorts, that includes families. Is it possible? Maybe / sure why not. Granted some areas will be loud at night, and it should stay that way - that doesn't mean there can't be quieter areas at the same time. Maybe the donlands i.e. waterfront east development could be the place for families though.

And I see absoultly nothing wrong with complaining about hosting G20 in downtown Toronto ... clearly you haven't been / seen / read about other such events. And the reason why it shouldn't be in dontown Toronto is because already so many people live here and many of these people will be disrupted. Granted it's only 2 days so I don't think it's big deal really. But the fact exhibition place was turned down so quickly also makes little sense to me.

And I see absoultly nothing wrong with complaining about hosting G20 in downtown Toronto ... clearly you haven't been / seen / read about other such events. And the reason why it shouldn't be in dontown Toronto is because already so many people live here and many of these people will be disrupted. Granted it's only 2 days so I don't think it's big deal really. But the fact exhibition place was turned down so quickly also makes little sense to me.

I think PM Harper felt that downtown Toronto should be showcased to the rest of the world. It makes sense to me. We have the choice of presenting the skyline of a sophisticated international city or the exhibition grounds. Which would you choose?

I think PM Harper felt that downtown Toronto should be showcased to the rest of the world. It makes sense to me. We have the choice of presenting the skyline of a sophisticated international city or the exhibition grounds. Which would you choose?

You're kidding right? ... 'Harper felt Toronto should be showcased to the rest of the world' why do I very much doubt that was his intension ;).

Anyway, again this isn't a very peacful even most of the time so - if you mean give them more glass to break then sure.

You're kidding right? ... 'Harper felt Toronto should be showcased to the rest of the world' why do I very much doubt that was his intension ;).

Anyway, again this isn't a very peacful even most of the time so - if you mean give them more glass to break then sure.

No, I don't think Harper has much love for Toronto. But, keep in mind, the summit was to be held up north. They had to move it to T.O. to accommodate five thousand or more delegates and media. (not enough hotels)

Having said that, it would've been safer and more convenient to have it at the exhibition grounds. But as a person who lives in Toronto, would I want our skyline or the exhibition to be broadcast around the world? My choice is the skyline.

As for the protesters, they're going to "break glass" no matter where this is held.

They'd see our skyline from the Ex, framed by the beautiful Prince's Gates. I think downtown would make a better impression on visitors than the boring exhibition grounds, but it's going to get trashed.

...Having said that, it would've been safer and more convenient to have it at the exhibition grounds. But as a person who lives in Toronto, would I want our skyline or the exhibition to be broadcast around the world? My choice is the skyline...

If it's safety at the Exhibition or downtown with the skyline as the two choices, then why not the best of both worlds?

What about The Docks Entertainment complex on Polson Street? Have you seen the view of our skyline from there? And who could care less about demonstrators clogging up busy streets way down there? Not to mention if the demonstrators do get out of hand, any damage they do to the neighbourhood would only be an improvement.

:D

If it's safety at the Exhibition or downtown with the skyline as the two choices, then why not the best of both worlds?

What about The Docks Entertainment complex on Polson Street? Have you seen the view of our skyline from there? And who could care less about demonstrators clogging up busy streets way down there? Not to mention if the demonstrators do get out of hand, any damage they do to the neighbourhood would only be an improvement.

Forget that!

Why not the islands!!! :D

They can build huge tents, get a fleet of 20+ ferries and your set.

I haven't seen the Polson St. complex. Do you think the conference centre is big enough and would have the tech equipment etc., to handle what must be the mother of all summits?

I think the Docks would be a perfect compromise for the G20 summit.

No, I am not affiliated with Polson Pier or do I promote for them... I was there a couple of times for parties.

Well, it's big enough to host huge circuit parties with 3 thousand attendees, all cracked out on E and tweaking on Meth, so I'm sure it's big enough. As for technical equipment... It has all the lighting and sound equipment you could need. Any specialty stuff for security or the media would be brought to any convention and rarely supplied by the venue.

Plus there is a driving range and amusement area and the outdoor patio pool area with the Toronto skyline as a backdrop, is perfect for a head-of-state group photo-op.

IMG_8469.jpg

(courtesy Peaceful Pixel at http://www.peacefulpixel.com/2009/09/14/toronto-from-the-docks/ )

The Complex's website:
http://www.polsonpier.com/altpages/view/1/site:polson

No point making proposals for where to move this to. Fairly certain the Americans have already come in and started looking around the Convention Centre (I've personally been asked to alter my route home by police officers already, and this wasn't on a day where it was publicly known that things were going on at the Convention Centre like when the blackhawks landed or today's flybys).

Since I live on the waterfront, we're wondering if we'll essentially be hemmed in for that week. My girlfriend has already inquired if she can work from home that week if she needs to. We're also wondering if we'll have snipers on our rooftop, which would be interesting.

Ultimately, the idea of being only a couple hundred metres from the 20 most powerful people in the world is kinda cool.

jn_12 where are you?

C'mon, man, only a month+ to go, time to get righteous!

Our building has got the 'Business Continuity Planning' thingy going full blast. Saw some 'protestors' outside Scotia Plaza practicing while headed home on the 504 limo the other day. It's like being inside one of UrbanShocker's favourite operas -- dress rehearsals start in a couple of weeks, sweeties!

Did a little surfing, and I love how the anarchists are trying to co-opt more recent and sexy issues (green, queer, etc.). It's got to be galling to be an unreconstructed Communist and feel you need to throw in with Pride and Sierra Club to get a movement going!

Not to mention the fact that it's got to be truly embarassing to be in one of the most gay-friendly towns on the planet and pretending you're protesting for that group, a week before the Pride Parade. Shake your head.

Anyhoo... I need a serious type to explain to me why this isn't just a ridiculous, ineffectual, yet boring 'protest'. Jn_12?

huh? I'm not sure what I said that prompted that response...
All I said was: 1. I live on the waterfront, right in that narrow strip of space between the security perimeter and the lake. Oh and apparently everyone is arriving at the Island airport, so that's 3-sides, really. Considering we basically need to travel through the security zone to get anywhere, it's going to make for an interesting week. 2. I suggested that there's no point proposing the CNE or Portlands now since American security personnel seem to have already started securing the convention centre. 3. I suggested there might be a sniper on my roof... we're close enough to the action that you never know. This is a pretty huge event afterall. 4. The idea of being 200 metres from what will be global news is kinda cool.

The only thing i can think of that prompted that response was #4 but it was pretty much just an afterthought, so i'm not sure why i'm expected to answer for everyone...

Granted it's only 2 days so I don't think it's big deal really.
The actual event may only be 2 days but the barricades and perimeters are going to be set up ahead of time, and delays and hassles will start well before the actual summit. They've started with the military aircraft scoping out air space and fly zones (as per Canada AM this morning); stuff will be going on every day from now on. It's going to be a PITA but hopefully Toronto will get some good press out of the whole thing.

I work in the CBD and have been advised by many to take vacations during that time. The letter from the building management indicated that the underground parking will be closed for the duration of the summit. I expect that other parking lots in the CBD will be closed as well. My building is encouraging all tenants to obtain access passes (for when they go into lockdown), and is pushing up the annual fire drill to go over the evacuation procedures + explosives threat procedures. People have been warned about multiple building lockdowns during the conference, and have been advised to not schedule any construction or essential meetings during the summit.

Although the letter didn't state so, I've heard that the PATH will be shutdown (i.e., doors that connect to other buildings will be locked). For how long, and which sections of PATH, I'm not certain.

IMO, this is a raw deal for Toronto. It's going to cripple downtown for days, and any positives from worldwide media exposure will be eclipsed by the nature and the tone of the coverage (overwhelmingly negative and potentially violent). I still associate Seattle with the protests of many years ago.

huh? I'm not sure what I said that prompted that response...
All I said was: 1. I live on the waterfront, right in that narrow strip of space between the security perimeter and the lake. Oh and apparently everyone is arriving at the Island airport, so that's 3-sides, really. Considering we basically need to travel through the security zone to get anywhere, it's going to make for an interesting week. 2. I suggested that there's no point proposing the CNE or Portlands now since American security personnel seem to have already started securing the convention centre. 3. I suggested there might be a sniper on my roof... we're close enough to the action that you never know. This is a pretty huge event afterall. 4. The idea of being 200 metres from what will be global news is kinda cool.

The only thing i can think of that prompted that response was #4 but it was pretty much just an afterthought, so i'm not sure why i'm expected to answer for everyone...

My apologies. I was responding/goading due to your earlier posts in the thread, not noticing that you were also the last poster. Your latest post was both sensible and an articulate defense of the viewpoint that this might actually be kind of cool, despite the negatives.

Back