News   Apr 19, 2024
 149     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 484     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 664     1 

Futuristic Chinese Bus Concept

Sure maybe use this concept up in Brampton!
Call it the CHOW MAIN LINE

Looks like it could eat a few cars & solve all there problems up there!

It would be more interesting if there were an LRV version of this as well.
It is an LRV of sorts.... It rides on a rail track embedded at the sides of the road.

It could be disoriening for a car driver feeling like they are going backwards, mind you -- one suggestion I read was to put a screen on the underside to compensate.

Not sure if practical due to operational complexities.

How do you manage vehicle heights? The average automobile is only 8 or so feet high, but cube vans and transport trucks can be up to 16 feet or more. Do you build the bus way to be 20+ feet above the roadway to allow for all types of vehicles (and accommodate the rare tall truck) or build it 12 or so feet from the road way and ban trucks?

We have seen what can happen with low clearance bridges and tall trucks, this would be a disaster if it were a bus carrying 1000 passengers.

I am bus, eater of cars.

I am very receptive to new and innovative technologies but this thing is just plain stupid.

It would have to operate on a very wide roads due to needing 2 lanes over top and at least 2 more for turning traffic and transport. Of course even if the have the room, what about fire trucks that need to get onto that bus covered lane? Instead of trying to serve people on a freeway with a cumbersome vehicle with infrastructure needs why not just grab a paint brush and write 'bus-only' on one of the lanes and be done with it?

This contraption has far more to do with keeping cars moving than it does with transit. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to transportation but this thing is laughable.

I think it is a creative concept and one must appreciate it for what it is. It is not to say that this is ready for production by any means. It's new concepts that drive innovation. Yes, there are obvious limitations to this design but it's still forward-thinking. I'm interested to see what new ideas are borne from this one.

I think it is a creative concept and one must appreciate it for what it is. It is not to say that this is ready for production by any means. It's new concepts that drive innovation. Yes, there are obvious limitations to this design but it's still forward-thinking. I'm interested to see what new ideas are borne from this one.
Spinoff ideas may involve trains, both of the freight and passenger varieties. This would help free up railway space for other transportation uses while satisfying NIMBYs.

Aesthetics aside, Its practical and thats what i like. I like some practical and pragmatic thinking when it it comes transit planning. What i can tell about this concept is that it can move large numbers of people quickly and efficiently and that is what should be the number one priority.

PS.: I wonder if this thing will jam or interrupt your radio signal, cell phone signal, or GPS in your just as it passess over you. Imagine the frustration just as your favourite song comes on :)

Last edited:

For the record this isn't a new concept, it was originally proposed about 6 years ago. The plans stalled for quite sometime, but they are now planning to construct a smaller scale test track .

I'm not sure if the scale makes sense. It seems like it could hold a vast amount of passengers, far more than an LRT, but if it's running on streets it's going to have to make frequent stops at intersections, unlike a subway. And every stop is going to be costly to construct, as it has to be elevated, and in a location where passengers can easily access ground level.

It's a very cute idea, but I really don't know how practical it is. At the very least, it appears this system would be difficult to retrofit into existing infrastructure.

They have actually built a full size demonstration prototype model.

Last edited:
Seems like it requires more infrastructure and has a higher capital cost than I thought. Couldn't they also run a double-decker bus/tram on a designated lane and get a similar result?

Back