News   Mar 28, 2024
 417     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 756     0 

Freed Development

M5Vgirl

Member Bio
Reaction score
From what I've heard, Freed has a pretty good reputation. Everything I've seen has been nice and they are really putting the stamp on glamourizing and branding the King West neighbourhood. What are people's thoughts/experiences with Freed?

I'm moving into 550 Wellington in February, so ill be able to give you a better review then.

So far I am pretty happy with how I've been treated. Of course I was still subjected to the bold faced lies about occupancy dates (August 2008 originally, now February 2010).

My other complaint is their lack of follow up with the buyers. This is by far the biggest purchase of my life and I feel totally in the dark about it. The only time I hear from them is when the law requires them to or they are trying to sell me a unit in one of their other condos. It would be nice to get an email talking about how construction is going, or what the retail is going to be at the bottom....but no, its just radio silent.

If you want to read some freed horrorstoies go to the 455 Adelaide facebook group and read the nonsense that's been going on there for the past year. Freed tried to stick them all with park levvys in their closing costs (which they ended up waiving after lawyers got involved).

From what I've heard, Freed has a pretty good reputation. Everything I've seen has been nice and they are really putting the stamp on glamourizing and branding the King West neighbourhood. What are people's thoughts/experiences with Freed?

I've had no problems (550 Wellington) and plan to purchase another condo from him. All my questions have been answered in a timely fashion and so far no unexpected surprises...

I just moved in at 550 wellington and I have had a horrible experience with Freed. The quality of workmanship is terrible, the heat in my unit has not worked for 3 weeks and they have not addressed it (it's freeeeezing). Many many problems. They promised 9-10 foot ceilings, well they lied to me - my ceilings are as low as 7 feet and as high as 8.5 feet. I am furious with my purchase and really regret it.

Freed Developments Review

To add some of my own experiences:

I've recently moved into one of Freed's recent developments located at King/Bathurst (Six50 King) after 4 years and 4 months from signing and have had some positive experience - mostly when I'm purchasing something - but mainly negative in dealing with customer service. The legal red tape is outstanding from getting the keys to my unit to having condo deficiencies corrected. Basically I feel as though Freed Reps would rather wave the fine print than make the transition smooth and pleasant.
Just a quick example of this: I had upgraded a vanity in the master suite; it was not installed during PDI (noted on the PDI); 5 months later still not installed (numerous emails sent with a recent one stating I would escalate to Tarion); response from Freed customer service is that Tarion does not cover "extras" but that the counter is expected "soon". Again, all responses have been surrounding what's within their legal right...not what is right from a customer's standpoint. I've purchased a new condo and have had so much stress in trying to have my condo finished (30+ deficiencies!). Even the terrace is not completed.....and the response to that is that the terrace is part of the common elements and it's not permitted to be on a PDI/30 day Tarion warrenty.

So many other examples to mention, but for those who even consider Freed or purchasing preconstruction, PLEASE consider a resale first and foremost. The aggrevation I've gone through has left me exausted, frusterated, and extremely annoyed. It's just not worth it. I dont even want to live in my home anymore because it reminds me of Freed.

Sadly, this is the norm with 99% of the developers out there. They just want to get you into the unit as quickly as possible and hope you get so frustrated with chasing them down to fix things that you just give up.

A lot more things need to be done for purchasers. Developers seem to get away with MURDER!

Freed doesn't get design or understand details but he has learned that it's profitable to hire people that do. Because he doesn't get it he pushes his architects to the point that the designs suffer, and then fails to follow through to make sure the details are properly resolved. In the end the architecture suffers on both counts.

That said, he still does a better job than most schlocky developers who really don't have a clue.

I was looking into purchasing a unit at The Thompson (55 Stewart) but have read some negative comments about the management etc. Could anyone share their experiences and let me know your thoughts on the building as a resident? Thanks!

They had a lot of growing pains at the beginning but it appears that things are much better now. I have a friend who lives there and loves it. The facebook group is still very active.

I had upgraded a vanity in the master suite; it was not installed during PDI (noted on the PDI); 5 months later still not installed (numerous emails sent with a recent one stating I would escalate to Tarion); response from Freed customer service is that Tarion does not cover "extras" but that the counter is expected "soon".

Emails aren't very effective at all. Did you try speaking to someone on the phone? Personally, I'm the type to find and talk to these individuals in person. That's when they know you mean business.

I was looking into purchasing a unit at The Thompson (55 Stewart) but have read some negative comments about the management etc. Could anyone share their experiences and let me know your thoughts on the building as a resident? Thanks!

I have heard from a friend who lives there that there are still some concerns about quality and workmanship. However, building management for the most part has been cooperative.

Last edited:

Back