News   Mar 18, 2024
 806     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.7K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 784     0 

Fraser Mustard Kindergarden Learning Academy (Kohn+Shnier, 2s)

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
An interesting design in a neighbourhood that desperately needs improved public facilities. I had my first introduction to this really fascinating quarter of the city last week during the TPL's Walking Series and was amazed at how this 1950s highrise area is being adapted for very different times and demographics. I can find very little information on this addition so these shots will have to suffice. One nice feature is the metal screen running along the top of the overhang. It reminds me of the jalli screens in many South Asian Muslim buildings and is a subtle homage to the culture of a large percentage of Thornecliffe Park's residents. It also speaks, IMHO, to the finely detailed accents of many of the modernist structures in the area such as the Coca Cola building.

IMG_5357_2_1-L.jpg

IMG_5355_2_1-L.jpg

IMG_5353_2_1-L.jpg

IMG_5351_4_1-L.jpg

IMG_5354_2_1-L.jpg

Last edited:
I love seeing smaller projects from around town, especially institutional facilities like this, given that most of what we see on UT are residential projects.

The alphabet motif looks great, as does the screen motif, pilotis, and overall materiality of the project.

My dream for this sub-forum is that UTers take a greater interest in smaller projects like this one, and recognize the higher degree of architectural interest that can sometimes be found in institutional projects and other smaller projects.

Last edited:
Definitely agree one this. Some of the best projects in the city are the smaller out of the way ones we don't see as often in the news or forums. this is a great example of it. TDSB and TCDSB(?) have done some great work with school expansions in recent years which add a sense of rejuvenation to such a critical community social space. I think given that the profit motive is not so immediate and strong in that the return on capital doesn't need to be as quick as say for a high rise, developers (public and private) are willing to invest in greater architecture which provides an added benefit. The result of which, measurable or immeasurable seems to be more than the increased cost.

This building reminds me a lot of the Port Credit Library:

http://www.mattmattucci.ca/account/6aba35e332146cb1/pages/124907_3.jpg

Definitely agree one this. Some of the best projects in the city are the smaller out of the way ones we don't see as often in the news or forums. this is a great example of it. TDSB and TCDSB(?) have done some great work with school expansions in recent years which add a sense of rejuvenation to such a critical community social space.

Problem is though that there is a real cost of those little (but expensive) touches in the sense that the massive cost over-runs on the few major capital projects that the TDSB have done recently have caused the suspension/ cancellation of expansions at many more schools that desperately need investment! Hard to applaud subtle homages while mopping up the rainwater dripping through the ceiling of your kids Gr. 1 classroom. :-(

Back