CIMG2300.jpg

CIMG2296.jpg

CIMG2295.jpg

CIMG2273.jpg

CIMG2270.jpg

CIMG2272.jpg

CIMG2285.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

Those stairs give off a depth perception optical illusion to me. Also, something about the inside of the chamber reminds me of a Star Wars political theatre.

Looks like you had very good seats. People have told me that they found it disappointing on the inside. However I certainly found it to be tastefully done-very anglo Canadian with its conservative decor and wood finishings. Simple and Elegant.

It'll be interesting to see how attendance is for the National's Don Q now that their season runs later into the summer. The COC, being the owner of the building, gets the prime dates.

Also, I hope the opera house gets an international vocal series - that'll give the less acoustically excellent RTH and their series a run for their money!

Looks like you had very good seats. People have told me that they found it disappointing on the inside. However I certainly found it to be tastefully done-very anglo Canadian with its conservative decor and wood finishings. Simple and Elegant.

Actually, the seats inside are horrible.

1st time, I was in Ring 2 Balcony centre, 5 rows back, couldn't see the stage if the person in front of you were too tall. Imagine how annoying that was when that person kept moving his head...

2nd time, Ring 5 Balcony centre, 1st row...the seats were very tight and narrow. I feel sorry for over-weighted people, seriously. And you couldn't get out without EVERYONE had to stand up. It's similar to the Royal Alex...

"And you couldn't get out without EVERYONE had to stand up."

I know what you mean. When I was there to see the National Ballet, during the intermission, I had to repeatedly stand-up and sit down to let people by. I was perturbed that they didn't have cupholders- I had to put my beer on the floor.

But seriously the individual seating room was fine I thought, and I'm 6.1 and 215lbs.

Venti: There is no Ring 2. Below Ring 3 is the Grand Ring, where the seats are loose and can be arranged however you like. The other Rings are more strongly raked than at Roy Thomson Hall - especially Ring 5, where your feet almost line up with the shoulders of the person sitting in front.

But I agree about the front rows having less leg room.

Patrons aren't allowed in once the performance has begun, and it is an established custom in theatres for people to move to let others pass. More passing room would be nice, but it would set each row of seating further and further back from the stage and defeat the benefits of having a small, intimate hall.

Back