News   Apr 24, 2024
 109     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 451     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.9K     7 

Fords Working to Fire Webster, Stintz, Scrap Streetcars: Star

The idea to substitute busses for streetcars as a learning experience is cute but won't happen because the busses required don't exist which may be a blessing in disguise for the streetcar fans on UT.

The experimenters may have discovered to their dismay that the public doesn't particularly care what gets them to work, it may be a surprise to some but streetcars are not held in such high esteem or reverence as they may think outside of this tiny box of a thread.

Regarding vehicle capacity, yes a streetcar can carry more passengers than a bus but that capability is only important in peak periods, most of the day the vehicle load on streetcar lines is well within the capability of a bus.

The idea to substitute busses for streetcars as a learning experience is cute but won't happen because the busses required don't exist which may be a blessing in disguise for the streetcar fans on UT.

The experimenters may have discovered to their dismay that the public doesn't particularly care what gets them to work, it may be a surprise to some but streetcars are not held in such high esteem or reverence as they may think outside of this tiny box of a thread.

Regarding vehicle capacity, yes a streetcar can carry more passengers than a bus but that capability is only important in peak periods, most of the day the vehicle load on streetcar lines is well within the capability of a bus.

Close to the bone, Spider !!! I believe that you have a measure of reason.

I recently retired so my daily commute is no longer a concern, but I will admit this: as a lifelong commuter, I can recall so many times that my streetcar was held up by a fender-bender. Streetcars can't maneuver around fender benders. That is the only problem I have with streetcars, they fall victim to careless auto drivers, and people are late for work. It's especially irritating when the temperature is something like -17c.

But there are hordes of people who want streetcars kept, and these people must be listened to. I personally just want good reliable transit, and the buses or streetcars should run very frequently during rush hours.

Last edited:
He's not really anti-social, per se. I think you have to give the guy a modicum of credit for actually returning all those one-on-one phone calls.

Beyond his own claims, does anyone actually know someone who has received a return call from Mr. Ford? He is so quick to point out that he is always receiving calls lauding whatever particular decision he seems to have made that day, but not one person that I know has ever had their call returned by the mayor, or even when he was a councillor.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Eh... Every Transit System is designed to handle peak capacity. A good number of buses and rail vehicles will remain idle outside the peak hours. The streetcars are packed during peak hours, and you'll need 2-3 buses to replace one streetcar. That is a lot more vehicles required to share already congested roads.

Steve Munro thinks it may even go further: (as others here have speculated too):
Queen’s Park struck a deal with the devil to preserve the Eglinton LRT as a subway while leaving Ford free to work his financial magic on Sheppard. The streetcar system appeared safe if only because replacing it would be a long-term, difficult proposal. However, the Liberals’ hold on power is tenuous, and a Ford-favouring Tory government would no doubt be happy to cancel the streetcar order (and probably the LRVs for Eglinton as well) with Bombardier, and the voters of Thunder Bay be damned.

for full story: http://stevemunro.ca/

Also, according to Ford, Torontonians favour "Smooth, Clean roads" as #1 priority: http://www.thestar.com/news/article...n-roads-a-priority-for-toronto-says-ford?bn=1

Hinting to the streetcars? Do streetcar tracks prevent a road from being 'smooth'?

This from Globe: So now we know what our priorities are!

“I encourage people to come to the executive committee next Thursday,” he said during an interview on CP24. “Everyone has five minutes to talk to me personally at our executive committee. I invite the whole city. I don’t care if we have to sit there for three days. I don’t want to have people ... they have five minutes to tell me what business do you think we should be in. And it’s next Thursday at 9:30 at city hall. Come and let me know what you think – the average taxpayer out there – what are we doing right, what are we doing wrong. I want to hear from the people and I encourage them to come. “

During the same interview the mayor said taxpayers have three priorities: They want to feel safe, they want roads that are clean and without potholes and they want their garbage picked up.

These, he said, “are the three high-level issues that people really want us to deal with.”

As a city councillor and now as mayor, Mr. Ford has made a point of stressing his accessibility to the public, although media interviews are rare. He ended the interview Friday by saying he still returns calls to his office and makes a point of getting out and meeting people. “I have no problem meeting people,” he said, adding, “I love being mayor.”

Eh... Every Transit System is designed to handle peak capacity. A good number of buses and rail vehicles will remain idle outside the peak hours. The streetcars are packed during peak hours, and you'll need 2-3 buses to replace one streetcar. That is a lot more vehicles required to share already congested roads.

You're absolutely right...the truth is that ford isn't really interested in transit...it's a nuisance to him...it's only value in his eyes is to make driving easier for those who aren't left wing bicycle riding pinkos...

...he won't be happy until his suburbanization goal of the whole city is complete...

Close to the bone, Spider !!! I believe that you have a measure of reason.

I recently retired so my daily commute is no longer a concern, but I will admit this: as a lifelong commuter, I can recall so many times that my streetcar was held up by a fender-bender. Streetcars can't maneuver around fender benders. That is the only problem I have with streetcars, they fall victim to careless auto drivers, and people are late for work. It's especially irritating when the temperature is something like -17c.

This is a functional/operational problem more than it is something necessarily inherent to streetcar operation. If, for example, we gave the TTC more authority when it comes to keeping their tracks clear, I think you'd see these kinds of significant delays eliminated almost overnight.

Anyway, what's interesting about this streetcars-for-Sheppard trade is that it would essentially mean decreasing transit capacity for the 250,000+ riders who use the streetcar system every day in order to provide an extension for the ~50,000 people who currently ride the Sheppard subway. (Sheppard ridership would obviously increase some with the extensions, but not that dramatically.) That's not a good trade-off for a populist politician.

This is a functional/operational problem more than it is something necessarily inherent to streetcar operation. If, for example, we gave the TTC more authority when it comes to keeping their tracks clear, I think you'd see these kinds of significant delays eliminated almost overnight.

I'd like to see a bylaw enacted whereby those involved in fender benders disrupting public transit can be fined. Emphasis on respect for all means of public transit.

Cutting back to the topic of Ford ... my mind wanders a bit today ... the best thing that can happen at this point is to have Ford keep on talking. Very much in the spirit of today's developments, "give 'im more rope" ....

I'd like to see a bylaw enacted whereby those involved in fender benders disrupting public transit can be fined. Emphasis on respect for all means of public transit.

Cutting back to the topic of Ford ... my mind wanders a bit today ... the best thing that can happen at this point is to have Ford keep on talking. Very much in the spirit of today's developments, "give 'im more rope" ....

accidents happen by "accident" nobody intentionally gets into a collision. Putting a fine on something like that would be punishing people for something, that they often could not prevent. It's mandatory to pay for insurance. Maybe having the fine be paid by the insurance might work...if it's bundled under collision costs...I still don't agree with it though.

Unless the autos are undrivable, there is no reason drivers cannot drive their cars to the curb, and deal with the accident. I have seen far too many accidents where the damage seems minimal and the drivers block the lanes because they do not want to move their cars.

Unless the autos are undrivable, there is no reason drivers cannot drive their cars to the curb, and deal with the accident. I have seen far too many accidents where the damage seems minimal and the drivers block the lanes because they do not want to move their cars.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression it was against the law to move your vehicle after a collision, unless an officer shows up and says it's ok.

accidents happen by "accident" nobody intentionally gets into a collision. Putting a fine on something like that would be punishing people for something, that they often could not prevent. It's mandatory to pay for insurance. Maybe having the fine be paid by the insurance might work...if it's bundled under collision costs...I still don't agree with it though.

It's my "war on the car" working overtime :)

Seriously, I'd like to see a solution to this. It happens very often.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression it was against the law to move your vehicle after a collision, unless an officer shows up and says it's ok.

How does one get to the collision reporting centers that are set up in Ontario?

Back