Fold out balcony?

Discussion in 'Design and Architectural Style' started by Hanlansboy, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Hanlansboy

Hanlansboy Active Member

found this clip on YouTube, thoughts? I'd be hesitant to step onto one on the 80th floor, how strong can that glass be?

2. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Senior Member

Multi-layered structural glass can be quite strong. For a personal balcony even for a full family, you don't need to go that thickness of that walkable glass structure at Times Square. I'm curious of the specs, though, and multi-layered damage resistance (from a dropped metal object, for example).

3. Tranquillity

Tranquillity New Member

I'd be glad to even see some balcony glass. I've been trying to find a condo downtown where the have it but it's impossible. Here's an example of a typical balcony in Finland, Sweden or Norway:
    [​IMG]

The glass can be fully opened and stacked on the sides. There are drain pipes that collect any water and lead it down to the street. These are really practical in cold locations as they raise the temperature by 10-15 degrees. If it's only +5 outside you can still enjoy your balcony on a sunny day, and there's no wind. Have you seen these around?

4. nobie

nobie New Member

Yeah its seems very good and the balcony gives you a refreshing feel and the balcony should be full open in my opinion....

5. LiberalForLife

LiberalForLife New Member

Why can't the balcony be permanent?

6. tripwire

tripwire Active Member

I love Lumon's as well! There have been a few units in various buildings in the GTA retrofitted with them, but it's really dependent on the condo board giving the OK. 88 Queen St. East development is the first I've heard to incorporate Lumon's into some of their units: https://condonow.com/88-North-Condos/Features-Finishes

I really wish more development would incorporate them by default. I imagine it'd be much cheaper than getting them in yourself later on (if you even get permission to do so).