Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Yonge St. storefronts are gradually getting done. From today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,073
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,125
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,076
They've done an excellent job....had a friend from out of town on the weekend, took him for a tour of the newer buildings, he saw 5 and said "am I seeing things, or is it crooked"...me being me, I asked him what was he smoking, and told him it was petfectly straight (it's the devil in me). Damn smart phones, he wouldn't believe me and googled it! But was fun to see the look of total confusion on his face! Hard to believe it wasn't that long ago I was at Club Colby's drinking and dancing almost every night of the week, and now it's long gone, so many great memories of the area, I may just look into buying after all, that particular area means a lot, funny how a memory can connect you in such an intimate way to a piece of land.

It does evoke some powerful memories - all the way back to when Colby's was Katrinas - along with Chaps (long gone) and Boots. More on topic, this has become one of my top 5 favorate projects of the decade so far. The retention of the Rawlinson Cartage facade, St. Luke lane reanimated, the late 19th century shops on Yonge Street restored - and the tower itself. I think a lot of what draws me to this project so much is that this corner stays much the same - only improved, and with a condo tower dropped in the middle. If half of new projects were near this good, I'd be very happy. Looking forward to completion, and to how Massey Tower is handled by MOD.

That really looks out of place. Surely a more attractive solution could be found? What am I thinking? This is Toronto.

That really looks out of place. Surely a more attractive solution could be found? What am I thinking? This is Toronto.

It might have been a progressive idea at some point to maximize sidewalk space by getting rid of street light poles. Some cities mount ornamental lanterns on the sides of buildings for street lighting. I'd rather see wider sidewalks and standard pole-mounted street lights on Yonge Street.

. Some cities mount ornamental lanterns on the sides of buildings for street lighting. .

The city wants preservation of these heritage bldgs, but then they install industrial 400watt HPS or MH wall pack lighting, i dont get it??, there is so much architectural LED street light fixtures for buildings available out there:confused:,
No wonder Yonge street is a dump, it starts with the city not giving a hoot:eek:

I wonder if writing the City/developer about this could start the conversation about finding products that would blend better with the heritage aesthetics while still providing effective lighting? It could be that in paying attention to all the other wonderful details, they simply forgot to ponder the aesthetic impact industrial fixtures might have in this context. This really is an amazing development (at least in the pictures). Can't wait to see it in person during a future visit(!)

From yesterday:

Five1IMG_8216.jpg
Five2IMG_8220.jpg
FiveIMG_8219.jpg
FiveIMG_8221.jpg
FiveIMG_8226.jpg
FiveIMG_8229.jpg
FiveIMG_8230.jpg

Attachments

• Five1IMG_8216.jpg
    Five1IMG_8216.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 2,827