News   Apr 23, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 600     0 

Fish & Chips!

Any thoughts on this place? I drive past every day on way to work.

http://m.yelp.ca/biz/british-style-fish-and-chips-toronto

I go all the time, but always at off peak hours. That way, I'm assured a table, and my food.

The Chinese owner (as in he's from China) is a very nice enough guy but he panics and his head goes into another zone when the phone orders come in at the dinner hour.

If you are unlucky enough to be a dine-in customer like I was, he will let you just sit and sit, until he finishes the the phoned in orders or there is a lull.

Kind of like Tim Hortons prioritizing drive thrus over the people standing in the store.

Once I had a book so I just sat out 45 minutes. The second time I didn't have time and left when I saw that look on his face.

Food is good and price is ok.

I like to eat in as I don't like paper wrapped fish and chips; its not the same as eating it right out of the fryer.

I'm looking forward to trying that East Coast fish & chips place on Queen West soon. But I just had an idea: A fish & chip shawarma-style sandwich: east meets west.:)

Just so I know where to collect my royalties, the proposed recipe:
fish & chips
chopped cilantro
tomato & cucumber
amba
lemon garlic hummus
wrapped in fresh made laffa bread

hot sauce to taste--or perhaps hot chilli flakes baked into the bread?

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to trying that East Coast fish & chips place on Queen West soon. But I just had an idea: A fish & chip shawarma-style sandwich: east meets west.:)

Just so I know where to collect my royalties, the proposed recipe:
fish & chips
chopped cilantro
tomato & cucumber
amba
lemon garlic hummus
wrapped in fresh made laffa bread

hot sauce to taste--or perhaps hot chilli flakes baked into the bread?
You had me until the baking stuff into laffa part. Respect the laffa. It is perfect as is.

I love the Olde Yorke Fish And Chips in Leaside. Getting a parking spot is hard though.

ETA: We got some from a place called High Street tonight. It is on Underhill Drive and is very good.

Last edited:
Richmond Station does fish & chips really well.

I just ate there recently. Damn, I should have ordered the fish and chips. I walked past Harbord Fish and Chips yesterday and was pretty tempted to eat there for lunch, but decided to eat a healthier lunch at Thai Basil instead.

Anyone tried The Battered Fish on Queen near St. Andrew? Seems to be a fairly new place.

Its sad to see places close after so long. Fish and Chips is one of my favorite foods :)< its sad to see stores close down, after the long history they have had :D

Its sad to see places close after so long. Fish and Chips is one of my favorite foods :)< its sad to see stores close down, after the long history they have had :D
Ok, it's a dying bred of restaurant in Toronto

Were these restaurants noticeably a lot more popular in Toronto in the past? When would that be? I'm in my late 20s and I do recall my dad talking about there being a fish and chips that closed down nearby where I grew up (in North York), but perhaps I'm too young to recall this being a trend.

If so, why did its popularity decline?

Fresco's Fish & Chips at 816 St. Clair Ave W for me.

I've also had some really good ones while camping up in Killarney at a place called Herbert Fisheries.

I love the Olde Yorke Fish And Chips in Leaside. Getting a parking spot is hard though.

ETA: We got some from a place called High Street tonight. It is on Underhill Drive and is very good.

Tried both places and loved them both. I personally prefer Olde Yorke.

I've also had some really good ones while camping up in Killarney at a place called Herbert Fisheries.

Very good, but can be jammed if a tour bus is in town. Henry's on San Souci Island (water/air access only) was an institution but sadly closed.

Sorry to highjack a GTA thread.

Back