Toronto First Parliament Site | ?m | ?s

I like the idea here: like Trafalgar, the Dam Square in Amsterdam or the Columbus monument in Barcelona are pedestrian magnets, both for locals and tourists. Put the library/museum part in an underground chamber with ceiling windows for light to stream down on exhibits.

If your not too busy, I'd like to stop by and get some of whatever it is you'te smoking - your on quite the bender. Rob Ford is looking to cut costs - not buy expensive land and put a dam square on it. For such a thing to happen we would need leaders with foresight and vision and for sure we are a long way from that.

The fact that the government expropriates by first extorting money from innocent people is greedy, ludicrous and insulting.

What are u talking about here? Taxation? If so its not insulting, ludicrous or greedy, but Im guessing you are referring to something else?

As well, on the topic discussed earlier on expropriation. The value of the properties the government expropriates is based on market value at the present time, with the site in its current state. No highest and best use would be applied as to what the future potential revenue streams COULD be if a 57 storey tower were to be constructed. No highest and best use of the site as vacant either. Its current use of land with current improvements. Whether or not that is a fair deal for land expropriated is an opinion that may differ, but its really the only way to keep it fair, and whether one likes it or not exproprating land is necessary in many situatioins, highways, mass transit, etc...

Last edited:
If your not too busy, I'd like to stop by and get some of whatever it is you'te smoking - your on quite the bender. Rob Ford is looking to cut costs - not buy expensive land and put a dam square on it. For such a thing to happen we would need leaders with foresight and vision and for sure we are a long way from that.

How much could it really cost? We could grab that marble coming off FCP and hold a community 'barn raising.'. I would bust a gut just to see Ford straining next to the civic minded, as penance for all the light-dimming he will be responsible for.

Not to take anything away from the great work the Toronto library system may do or from the importance of libraries in general (though in an increasingly digital age we could be excused for questioning just how long or widely they will continue to be of general use) but this is a national historic site. I just can't really say it any more simply. I know that Toronto has very little sense of its history and seems to hate almost anything symbolic or that isn't entirely functional but why not lets dare to envision something bold here. Just 'here'. I can't think of too many other sites, in the Toronto area at least, where an argument/case for such a gesture might stand but even a shred of a chance.

Libraries today are more than just shelves of books.

When I hear "national historic site", I don't see how a library, of high calibre too, can't be incorporated. In fact, it's ideal. A great public use on so many levels. Why not make a national historic site a place where people interact, meet, have conferences, learn, or just relax?

It would only be a shame if only a library were considered.

Well yes, a square/monument would provide the focus for a great new urban space that could include library/archives, museum of Toronto (great idea, Adma) and all kinds of other things. With the rejuvenation of St. Lawrence market to the west, a 'First Parliament Square'-type concept (along with the Distillery to the east) would book-end and define Old Town nicely.

Library? Square? How about that Museum Of Toronto, folks?

Yes, still a great idea.

It will be interesting to see what eventually gets done with the site of the former Parliament Buildings in the Front/Parliament/Berkeley block. While the Distillery condo towers will initially form a view terminus for the Esplanade's east end, a cultural building ( museum of Toronto? ) would be a major attraction if built there, and further enhance the Esplanade's new identity.
( Aug. 5th 2010, Pedestrian streets in TO? thread )

I was looking at this site yesterday and it is a pretty big site. They could easilly build a library, a museum and have a nice sized area for a square and monument. I'd like to see this square become a tourist hub for Oldtown. It's really in a prime lacation, dispite the fact that it's across the street from a car dealership. It also boarders some nice historic buildings and a park. I hope the city does the right thing.

They should also have a general streetscape and development plan for the area to dignify the site with such profound historical significance. Surrounded by mediocrity and relocated auto dealerships and car washes, its meaning will be lost on many people.

Then again, there's a Toronto-esque charm in a Museum Of Toronto being potentially a block or so away from a No Frills...

Are you suggesting that 'No Frills' sort of sums up Toronto and its history? You may have something there :)

Back