402     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 433     0 

First Nations in Toronto

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
I am curious to know about the First Nations in Toronto.

Before York was established in 1793, it was the territory of the Mississaugas. They are closely related to the Ojibway.

Apparently, Ojibway are the most common First Nation in Toronto today.

One Toronto subway station's name is from the Ojibway even.

I probably passed it the other night when I visited Cedarvale Park for the first time.

The following ridings have at least 1000 people and 1% of the population with a First Nations identity:

Parkdale-High Park 1,295 1.3%
Beaches-East York 1,215 1.1%
Scarborough Southwest 1,135 1.1%

Here's a report with some surveys about Aboriginal Torontonians more broadly.

http://www.uaps.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/UAPS-Toronto-report.pdf

71% are first generation city residents (born or raised from a different city, town or community outside Toronto), 23% are second-generation and 4% are third or more. According to the surveys, most feel strongly connected to both their communities of origin as well as the city itself.

The following ridings have at least 1000 people and 1% of the population with a First Nations identity:

Parkdale-High Park 1,295 1.3%
Beaches-East York 1,215 1.1%
Scarborough Southwest 1,135 1.1%

Are there statistics on what ethnic identities most First Nations Torontonians have, and if many are from the area, or Ontario more broadly?

Don't know of any data for birthplace but I suspect the vast majority are from Ontario.

In terms of language, only 365 out of 12,995 First Nations people in Toronto have an aboriginal mother tongue, mostly Ojibway and unspecified Cree.

Back