News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 599     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 892     0 

"First Class" travels on TTC subway trains.

Errrm. This subject has nothing to do with "class separation"? Only to use public services more effectively? By using city vehicles and resources more effectively to make more money outside of "busy times". The city already rents different urban spaces for different functions. I was just this week at the "Lovin' Local Food Fest!" at Yonge-Dundas Square where LOTS of businesses were renting spaces. And does not the TTC already rent wall spaces for advertising? Is it such a stretch to see the TTC operating "special" trains in "off peak" hours?

Well then change it to "Special Events" or whatever. It does involve however asking folks to pay something extra for city services. Sorry if that's "elitist" or something. Or "too complicated" an idea. Or something.

Isn't the UPX already a "first class service"? (Right down to being as forlorn as the Parisian first class trains were by the 80s)

Isn't the UPX already a "first class service"? (Right down to being as forlorn as the Parisian first class trains were by the 80s)

At the end of the day, you can even call GO that, though these examples differs by providing faster long distance travel instead of a simple focus on "class" itself.

The Dubai Metro has three classes, not that we should try to emulate anything from Dubai:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai_Metro#Trains

Guess you really can't have the migrant workers on the same car as everyone else.

AoD

Last edited:
There will absolutely not be class separated subway cars, and there most definitely will not be gender segregated cars. We all bleed red on the inside, so we can all be stuffed into the same subways cars. Just remember be put on deodorant because you (yes, YOU, the person reading this) smell.

Thanks everyone :)

Subways probably won't work...we are already at capacity during rush hour when people would want first class so it would actually result in a lower number of available seats.

But if you go to the UK they have 2 classes for their commuter trains. Nicer seats and you actually get a seat (and 50%-100% increase in price). I could see GO adopting this on their lines as they get longer and there are less capacity constraints post-15 minute service. Basically 1 car with VIA-1 type quality...reclining seats, large trays, etc.

And then for the TTC the same would occur on the SmartTrack/RER lines. As long as there are not capacity concerns I don't see any harm in giving a better service for those that want to pay for it (as long as they fully recover all the incremental costs). It may even make it the "better way".

...and if I lived far enough away I would use it. So I can work on the way into the office and the way back. (would allow me to have more time at home with the family which is priceless)

No first-class cars, but I think it would be a good idea for TTC to have women-only cars on trains to prevent sexual assaults and harassment, whcih has become a major topic recently.

Good grief.

Across all of the TTC there were 24 reported offenses against customers last month (i.e. less than 1 a day). And that includes all types of crimes, all types of victims and all types of modes. There are of course unreported incidents but this is the range we are discussing.

And if someone feels threatened in Toronto and they raise there voice there will be lots of people that will help her out. The new trains help out by eliminating the barriers for bystanders to help victims.

Have you been on a metro where there are women only cars? The proportion of men who are pigs there are a lot higher than here and I fully support the requirement (but at the same time think the police need to do a lot of undercover stings to arrest these deviants).

"... as forlorn as the Parisian first class trains were by the 80s"
... the rapid suburban subway system known as the R.E.R. will still sweep through Paris with two classes. And for visitors from New York, well, the Metro will still be a model of cleanliness, safety and efficiency that they would love to see copied back home.

Any thoughts of "forlorn" may be related to the "cheap seats".

Comment re sports teams or migrant workers sounds facetious?

"... already at capacity during rush hour..."

I already explained this is to use unused capacity OUTSIDE of "rush hours".

Re UK "two class" commuter travel (at 50%-100% more fee), again I say, DIFFERENT CARS more "open space" and EVENT and GROUP/CLUB-based travels up/down the length of the subway system for one or more hours for each event.

"Mini rock concerts" musicians playing. Stuff like classical music?

Seems I've already said this but idea is to use *underused* city vehicles as event venues and for groups. And to charge $$$ for prepaid tickets.

Yet it may seem to some that the citizens of Toronto are unable to take a risk and experiment.

We could "start small" using existing train sections in "off hours" then "big it up" if some PROPERLY ORGANIZED "events" are successful.

Has anyone asked the TTC how much to rent one whole train section just for a few hours in some "off peak" times? I can't even figure out hourly usages.
https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Operating_Statistics/2014/index.jsp

Good grief.

Across all of the TTC there were 24 reported offenses against customers last month (i.e. less than 1 a day). And that includes all types of crimes, all types of victims and all types of modes. There are of course unreported incidents but this is the range we are discussing.

And if someone feels threatened in Toronto and they raise there voice there will be lots of people that will help her out. The new trains help out by eliminating the barriers for bystanders to help victims.

Have you been on a metro where there are women only cars? The proportion of men who are pigs there are a lot higher than here and I fully support the requirement (but at the same time think the police need to do a lot of undercover stings to arrest these deviants).
It is an incredibly stupid and sexist idea.

By implementing such a system, you are basically saying that you can't be bothered or are completely unable to provide a safe environment for women. So instead of working on that, we are absolving ourselves of all responsibility and ask that women please segregate yourselves into this separate subway car, or you will likely be sexually assaulted.

It reminds me of cases where a women wearing a skirt is assaulted or raped, and people say "well, with what she was wearing, she was asking for it. She should have dressed more modestly".

Completely despicable.

Ummm... A little off topic maybe? Thought here is only to better use city infrastructure (some subway trains) as event space.

Today you can travel interurban in Switzerland on their "GoldenPass Classic" trains (replica elegant Belle Epoque trains):
goldenpass-classic.jpg

I think subway rides are typically too short to financially benefit from first class sections. People won't pay extra for a fifteen or twenty minute ride. . . but they might pay extra for a GO Train ride in from Aldershot, Barrie, Oshawa or Kitchener. With all day two-way service coming there could be a lot of training running at off peak times that need to be filled. A few cars with a special lounge on the upper level with meal service, entertainment and/or napping facilities could attract riders who otherwise wouldn't use the train. You could get families on day trips or busy commuters who eat their hot breakfast and dinners on the train every day. You could also have a few special cars that were fitness clubs (with showers).

Finally! Someone that'll see the (maybe) possibilities. :)

H>I think subway rides are typically too short to financially benefit from first class sections. People won't pay extra for a fifteen or twenty minute ride. . .

Lessee. Lets pick the Bloor-Danforth Line for example. So, 31 stations, Kipling to Kennedy. From Kennedy (using "worst case", Sundays) first train leaves at 8:45am. Same for Kipling on Sundays. BOTH stations with car parking and lots of connections to other routes.

Hehe... Honestly can't say off hand how long one train takes to go one length of this line stopping at each stop! But time stopped and accelerating/decelerating for each stop... say 3 minutes? Times 31 stations... about 90 minutes to go one length, and three hours for one "round trip" from one end to back there again.

(Remember, I was thinking trips include amusements such as musicians and food... and drinks?)

I see currently to go to one Blue Jays game ticket prices start from $13 but you can easily spend $40 to $60 per seat and as high as $77-80. (Never mind the "In The Action" seating at $245-275! Yowzer) Plus I suppose there's the "Ballpark Food". Hehe... (And lots of "small print" re services extra and availability.)

H> but they might pay extra for a GO Train ride in from Aldershot, Barrie, Oshawa or Kitchener. With all day two-way service coming there could be a lot of training running at off peak times that need to be filled.

Well, I was thinking of feeding any profits to our local TTC?

H> A few cars with a special lounge on the upper level with meal service, entertainment and/or napping facilities could attract riders who otherwise wouldn't use the train. You could get families on day trips or busy commuters who eat their hot breakfast and dinners on the train every day. You could also have a few special cars that were fitness clubs (with showers).

Hehe... Well, anything just "tailored"/targeted to a certain demographic. And to better use existing facilities not already used in "off peak" hours and on certain days.

Turning unused "basic urban transportation" into an event venue. :)

Back