News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Feeding pigeons and rats

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
There should be some law against feeding both pidgeons and rats. A very small number of people (lonely, elderly, or people with God complexes) are driving the population of these scavengers. Some of these people have huge bags of feed which they just dump in College Park for example.

Fact is the birds aren't short of hot dog buns and cigarette butts or whatever they eat. Rather they breed to keep up with the insane amount of seed these deranged people throw at them.

I've seen two peregrine falcons (or other bird of prey) eating pigeons by the roadside downtown. If the pigeons are well fed, that'll be good for the falcons.

Now squirrels, which I referred to as tree rats, now we need something that eats them.

The last building I lived in was also home for tons of squirrels. Residents thought it was cute to feed them peanuts in shells and leave water out for them. The squirrels ruined my plants & herbs and were brave enough to come into the apartment on occasion. I finally got a screen replaced to keep them out but not before a few snaps from my quickcam.

A few days before the ROM closed for renovations, I was amused to see a couple of security guards desperately chasing a squirrel around the Bishop White Gallery - it hopped between the legs of the wooden bodhisattvas, scooted past the famous temple paintings, and disappeared into the next room.

On the bus platforms at the Islington subway station the TTC has posted several signs asking people not to feed the birds. It doesn't prevent some people from doing exactly that. I keep hoping the birds will dive-bomb those particular people.

On the bus platforms at the Islington subway station the TTC has posted several signs asking people not to feed the birds. It doesn't prevent some people from doing exactly that. I keep hoping the birds will dive-bomb those particular people.
Just this past week on the Burnhamthorpe bus platform in evening rush, there was a crushed bird carcass right in the middle of the busway for everyone to see...

Lol

this morning, i saw a squirrel wait at the curb. as a car drove by, it ran right in front of it and stayed in the road, making the car stop. when the car stopped, it ran away. another squirrel got frightened by me and bolted for a tree but the tree it tried to climb had smooth bark and it slipped off and landed in the grass.

Since there appear to be multiple incorrect spellings of the word in this thread, let me present the correct spelling, 'pigeons'.

That's an insult
walter_pidgeon.jpg

In the autumn, I was walking through St James Park and heard a twig snap high up in a tree and turned in time to watch a squirrel fall at least 30 feet, hit the ground and bounce 3 feet in the air before landing again. He sat there for about 60 seconds before pulling himself together and bolting back up the tree. It was pretty impressive.

There are no squirrels in Amsterdam. There are giant parks with hundreds of mature trees and no squirrels or chipmunks. It's very, very weird. It's almost creepy - like something horrible has wiped out all of the squirrels and the locals are all trying to cover it up. "Squirrels? What squirrels? No, there were never any squirrels. There is no such thing as squirrels. If you know what's good for you you'll stop asking questions and forget all about squirrels. I must go now." It's like that.

Back