News   Apr 23, 2024
 234     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 992     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 301     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

I don't understand why our city planners felt the need to destroy so many landmark buildings. There was plenty of vacant land for new construction. Why was it necessary to demolish the armoury? There are plenty of forgettable structures from the 60s and 70s I wish we would demolish, however.

201001UniversityArmory.jpg

Thanks to Aladone, mentioned in Torontoist today.

Who's the speaker?

I wonder if that's Charles Templeton at the podium in the "Youth for Christ" photo.

Photo attached (thumbnail):
"Fake picture of the older agnostic looking thoughtfully at the evangelical younger self."

Attachments

• preachlook.jpg
    preachlook.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
It's amazing that so many beautiful buildings were taken down in the name of progress, yet after all these years the wooden electricity poles remain.

i don't get what the big deal is with wooden electricty poles.

granted, they are inappropriate for some grander blvds, but i find they also add a bit of character to the street life.

maybe i'm alone on this one?

I wonder if that's Charles Templeton at the podium in the "Youth for Christ" photo.

Photo attached (thumbnail):
"Fake picture of the older agnostic looking thoughtfully at the evangelical younger self."

i think its very likely that it is him!

outdoor art show

The earliest version of the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibit was held at the Four Seasons Hotel on Jarvis St. - before moving to Nathan Phillip's Square.

Thumbnail titled: The Critic

Attachments

• The critic.jpg
    The critic.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 653
i don't get what the big deal is with wooden electricty poles.

granted, they are inappropriate for some grander blvds, but i find they also add a bit of character to the street life.

maybe i'm alone on this one?

I feel exactly the same way, so you're not alone.

good to hear.

and ditto for over head street car lines. i mean, just imagine standing at spadina and dundas without them. you'd feel naked.

The earliest version of the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibit was held at the Four Seasons Hotel on Jarvis St. - before moving to Nathan Phillip's Square.

Thumbnail titled: The Critic

Thecritic.jpg

thank you Goldie--you got me thinking about the art world in Toronto of yore!

s0372_ss0041_it0199.jpg

s0372_ss0041_it0315.jpg

s0071_it5760.jpg

s0372_ss0041_it0316.jpg

s0372_ss0002_it0167.jpg

s0372_ss0002_it0136.jpg

f1244_it0703p.jpg

s0372_ss0001_it0805.jpg

f1244_it0329.jpg

f1244_it0306a.jpg

Back