Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Cross's Livery, 1910
Cross's Livery 1910.jpg

Attachments

• Cross's Livery 1910.jpg
    Cross's Livery 1910.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 652
caption...King St., east of Yonge - Ont. Archives
I'm puzzled by this caption.....is it correct?
The tall building with the date -188_?- on top...I've seen it before but cannot recall exactly where.

caption-King east of Yonge-ONT. Arch.jpg

Attachments

• caption-King east of Yonge-ONT. Arch.jpg
    caption-King east of Yonge-ONT. Arch.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
caption...King St., east of Yonge - Ont. Archives
I'm puzzled by this caption.....is it correct?
The tall building with the date -1898?- on top...I've seen it before but cannot recall exactly where.

The Conger Coal Company was at 6 King East in 1897 so it is probably correct.

Goldie:

I think it is correct based on two pics from the Toronto Archives.

The first one is labelled King east of Yonge for the Boer War celebrations of 1901. Same buildings as in your pic Note Conger Coal Co. on the left):

kingyonge1901.jpg

As far as the tall building with the date, it shows in this pic and looks like it's opposite the King Edward Hotel, making it the NE corner of King & Victoria:

NEcornerkingVictoira.jpg

Attachments

• kingyonge1901.jpg
    kingyonge1901.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 646
  • NEcornerkingVictoira.jpg
    NEcornerkingVictoira.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 616
Also this pic of the SE corner of King and Yonge from 1908 (pre-CPR building) looks like the building on the right of your pic:

SEcornerkingyonge.jpg

Attachments

• SEcornerkingyonge.jpg
    SEcornerkingyonge.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 578
Yes. Thanks to you both, I now comprehend the location.

Attachments

• date in stone188-.jpg
    date in stone188-.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
King St. east from Church St. .........possibly 1900?
View attachment 128224
I think this might be 1861 when the closed and open horse cars began running in Toronto. The street directory for 1861 shows J.H. Rogers hatter and furrier on the corner and McCrossen hatter and furrier next door at 111. But 1861 is the year my great-great-grandfather moved his business from 111 King E to 86 Yonge St. (Frederick Clarke, boots, shoes and trunks).

I think this might be 1861 when the closed and open horse cars began running in Toronto. The street directory for 1861 shows J.H. Rogers hatter and furrier on the corner and McCrossen hatter and furrier next door at 111. But 1861 is the year my great-great-grandfather moved his business from 111 King E to 86 Yonge St. (Frederick Clarke, boots, shoes and trunks).

I think it's later as the Toronto Electric Light Company only started to provide street lighting in the 1880s and the streetlight appears to be one of their arc lights. This is a better picture of one (Yonge at King (1890) looking north from the Notman Collection at the McCord Museum.)

arc.JPG

Attachments

• arc.JPG
    arc.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 758
I think it's later as the Toronto Electric Light Company only started to provide street lighting in the 1880s and the streetlight appears to be one of their arc lights. This is a better picture of one (Yonge at King (1890) looking north from the Notman Collection at the McCord Museum.)

View attachment 130053
Sadly, you must be right. I was excited about the boots and shoes signage...

Back