News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 511     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

End of the recession?

Recession? What recession? I've had the 3 most profitable months in the 4 years that I've operated my business.

The recession never really hit Canada too hard. The US was the epicenter for the recession and we felt some mild shocks. I think the majority of repercussions were a result of people panicking over what they heard on our American neighbor's TV networks.

^ The statistics don't support your conclusion. Canada experienced the most dramatic decrease in economic output in one quarter, dropping by over 7% annualized. That hardly suggests Canada was unscathed.

The US government has become hand-out central because of this recession as its certainly not over here. The US federal government is now issuing $3500 - $4500 to anyone who wants to buy a new car. Yes, everyone. LOL But the car/truck/van does have to get fewer than 18mpg.

http://www.cars.gov/

Its unofficially called the 'Clunkers for Cash' program that goes into effect July 27, but the design is to cash in lower efficiency vehicles for vehicles that get better gas mileage and efficiencies.

...I better never hear of a lack of transit funding EVER again. EVER.

Be glad Canada fared well, its because of sound planning from years past. =)

Last edited:
Germany was doing that. It helped out their car companies while targeting emissions. I call it good policy (if your deficit isn't deeper than the ocean).

I am having a very difficult time finding a part-time job this summer.

It does not mean a return to low unemployment. It simply means that our economy has stopped contracting. Obviously, there's still a ways to go to get out of the hole.

The US government has become hand-out central because of this recession as its certainly not over here. The US federal government is now issuing $3500 - $4500 to anyone who wants to buy a new car. Yes, everyone. LOL But the car/truck/van does have to get fewer than 18mpg.

http://www.cars.gov/

Its unofficially called the 'Clunkers for Cash' program that goes into effect July 27, but the design is to cash in lower efficiency vehicles for vehicles that get better gas mileage and efficiencies.

...I better never hear of a lack of transit funding EVER again. EVER.

Be glad Canada fared well, its because of sound planning from years past. =)

I would oppose such a program for Canada, but I'd be first in line to take advantage if its offered ;).

Don't let it end too soon - this has been a great recession for buying stuff cheap - my basement looks like a 1950s nuclear shelter it's so full of drastically marked-down tinned goods I bought at No Frills: PC soups, baked beans, sockeye salmon, spaghetti sauce, all with best-before dates ranging from 2011 to 2014.

I agree with MetroMan.

If it wasn’t for the news, I personally wouldn’t have noticed the recession – Thank God!
Manufacturing was hit the hardest but I think most of the other sectors were okay.
I have a feeling some companies used the recession “excuse†to get rid of some of the employees that were on their black list. ;)

Well, I'm out of work as of Tuesday. My DOJ contract expired (no renewals), and I'm applying for EI as we speak. Also will be taking the time to go back to school, do my MA at York, so at least I'll be productive in some capacity.

I am wondering what effect this will have on the polls. Will the Conservatives get a bounce, perhaps preventing a Fall election? And will McGuinty get a boost thereby making his virtually guaranteed majority to come even bigger?

I am wondering what effect this will have on the polls. Will the Conservatives get a bounce, perhaps preventing a Fall election? And will McGuinty get a boost thereby making his virtually guaranteed majority to come even bigger?
Possibly, and probably.

Back