Toronto The Eglinton | 111.86m | 33s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

I agree ... but its sitting half empty now ... : ( ... no doubt due to this previous proposal, why would anyone have bothered re-signing knowing this could be down the road ..

There are some size-able office buildings at Y & Eg, like the Riocan buildings.

It's a good thing for the restaurants around here, there are various groups of customers throughout the day.

No this is a valid concern .... over the last 5 years (if you include this building ... also Pilot house on Eglinton West ... another condo building proposed for that, already emptied out) there is probably around 200-300K of lost office space never to be replaced.

Granted a lot of this was class C and B space, but a lot of this node is full of such space ..

I do think its a loss, and I don't see any replacement space proposed, we've already heard Riocan put their extension of the existing riocan center on hold, in terms of office space.

E-condos has no office space either.

This wont go over to well at planning and I suspect with the local Councillors who want to keep employment uses in their areas. Council just recenly had a big fit over protecting employment lands and uses during the official plan review. Having only one form of use in the area would be bad for the retailers too so its in there best interest to demand that if the building does go, that the same amount of commercial space is retained for new tenants.

That said, the current building is handsome. Its really a quintessential mid century office building and the clean lines, and notion of verticality are not something we see to much of these days in our office towers. Instead we have opted for largesse and sheer height to express verticality.

If this does go I'll be pretty angry about it.

P.S. verticality is not a real word apparently but I think we all know what I'm trying to say :p

This morning:

IMG_20140904_082321.jpg

And from last week's New Condo Guide:

TheEglinton1.jpg

TheEglinton2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140904_082321.jpg
    IMG_20140904_082321.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,125
  • TheEglinton1.jpg
    TheEglinton1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 3,232
  • TheEglinton2.jpg
    TheEglinton2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,139
^South Street Burger eh? I would've chosen different restaurants to highlight.

Just to nitpick further.. it shows light rail at grade when it'll be underground here.

The building itself, I'm not that blown away.

The Eglinton façade (at ground level) leaves a lot to be desired. It's too blank and institutional when the street is calling for something a little more pedestrian friendly.

Back