News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 545     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Edge Lofts (625 Queen East, Streetcar, 6s, Quadrangle) COMPLETE

I'm really liking all these lowrise buildings. Nice counterpoint to all the highrise stuff.

It would be nice to know exactly where they mean when they say Queen St E.

i believe Edge will be going on the lot on the south side of Queen just east of the DVP, until recently a place selling old antique cars.. they've been building a sales centre there for the last few days. Seems odd though to put that much effort into building a sales centre when the building itself is quite small

Anyone know where the EdgeLofts thing is on Queen East? Can't find any info on the website.

Re: Edge - Queen East Lofts

Don't be surprised we see more of these projects on the east side of the Don, especially with the uber cool Starbucks on the way.

TORONTO -- On the northeast corner of Queen and Logan streets in Toronto's up-and-coming Leslieville neighbourhood, three men are demolishing a wall separating a pair of vacant storefronts and perhaps, unwittingly, raising the worth of nearby homes.

The construction workers are building a Starbucks Corp. café -- and anyone considering buying or selling a home in Canada's frothy real estate market would be wise to take note.

Market experts say the upscale coffee chain's choice of where to open its new stores is usually a harbinger of bidding wars to come.

"When I see a Starbucks going in, I rub my hands together because I know property values are going up," said real estate agent Diane Walton.

In what could be called the "Venti Indicator" (named for what Starbucks calls a large coffee), it is even more effective if one can anticipate well in advance where the company will go next. Ms. Walton said housing prices in Leslieville have nearly doubled in the past three years.

Starbucks is never on the leading edge of a dodgy neighbourhood turning the corner, but the company has the ability to solidify the process once it is under way. Starbucks first lets smaller, independent stores drive foot traffic to a future area.

When Starbucks arrives, it gives other name brand retailers the confidence to follow. Agents say the Venti Indicator can be taken as a sure sign of renaissance of a retail strip, one that will boost the price of surrounding houses.

The woman in the Starbucks logo seems to have become the gentrification fairy, transforming all she gazes upon.

That's no woman, that's a Siren.

Which is odd, given that Starbuck is a man, both at sea and in space.

Just for a moment I thought that "Starbucks on the way" was a new condo.

The latest project by Streetcar Developments Inc. promises to be a hot spot for people who want to live on the edge -- in terms of style and location, that is.

The grand opening of Edge -- a six-storey glass and brick structure with 66 loft-style suites in Riverdale -- will be held tomorrow.

The builder has a reputation for creating urban structures that complement and enhance an existing community, especially in the up-and-coming King and Queen Street East districts. Following the same design principals, Streetcar Developments will build Edge on the former site of an old garage at 625 Queen St. East. The former industrial area is increasingly attracting trendy restaurants, shops and boutique furniture stores.

"It seemed like a great opportunity to do something a little bit different . . . and build a landmark site that's a gateway to Riverside itself," Jason Garland, vice-president of business development.

"There isn't really a modern, contemporary living space [there] and this is going to be a huge addition to that area," he adds.

As its moniker would indicate, Edge is close to certain neighbourhoods and landmarks. It sits on the edge of the Don River and Don Valley Parkway, and on the perimeter of Corktown and Riverside, in an ideal locale just a five-minute drive from the downtown core.

The building will offer unobstructed views of the city and waterfront. It will be adjacent to the West Don Lands waterfront development, a 32-hectare site being developed with mixed-income housing, a new transit line and an eight-hectare park.

As for the interior, Edge will offer one-bedroom suites, some with dens, and two-bedroom designs. Suites will range up to 1,800-square feet in size, but some buyers have asked to combine units, Mr. Garland says. The building will likely appeal to urban professionals and first-time buyers.

Each unit will feature a terrace or balcony and have loft-inspired features such as 10-foot ceilings, polished concrete floors and floor-to-ceiling windows.

Indoor parking will cost $20,000.

Though the building may eventually have a rooftop meeting place, there will be minimal common amenities to keep monthly maintenance fees low. To date, it is 33 cents a square foot.

Occupancy is scheduled for September, 2007.

Source: Globe and Mail

Queen East Lofts are nice, just one block North at Dundas and the DVP they're building a townhouse community, Blah!

building a townhouse community
The original plan had a 30s condo/apartment building on the site facing dundas but the nimbys got hold of it and now we have townhouses.

What a horrible location for a condo. Facing the DVP and two elevated traffic ramps.

Back