News   Apr 19, 2024
 369     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 569     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 949     3 

Economy jettisons 129,000 jobs in January as jobless rate soars to 7.2%!

lordmandeep

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
Whats shocking is that we lost jobs at a much higher rate then in America.

They lost 598,000 while we lost 129.000. One fifth.

BC got slammed hard where unemployment jumped upwards from 5.3 to 6.2.

The only two Provinces doing well are Alberta and Saskatchewan however there unemployment rates were hovering near 3 but are now close to 4-4.5%.

By The Canadian Press
ADVERTISEMENT

OTTAWA - The recession hit home where Canadians live last month as a massive 129,000 workers joined the ranks of the unemployed and the country's jobless rate surged to 7.2 per cent.

It was the worst monthly employment drop in at least three decades, topping figures seen in either of the two previous recessions in the 1980s and 1990s.

Almost all the jobs were full-time and were mostly in a battered manufacturing sector that has been most affected by the severe downturn in the United States.

The carnage was everywhere. Ontario shed 71,000 jobs, half in the manufacturing sector. British Columbia and Quebec workers were also hit hard with losses of 35,000 and 26,000 respectively.

Since October, when most economists say the global recession hit Canada's shores, the country has lost a whopping 213,000 jobs, wiping out a year's gains.

The January losses were not totally unexpected given the trend in labour markets both in Canada in the U.S. since the fall, but economists had been forecasting a much tamer number of around 40,000.

But Finance Minister Jim Flaherty hinted at worse news Thursday when he described the figures to come as "regrettable."

Statistics Canada officials were scrambling to describe the number of firsts - all bad - that January's labour survey created.

It was the largest employment decrease since the agency began keeping what it described as comparable figures in 1976.

And the manufacturing loss was the worst single month contraction on record.

The jump in unemployment rate from 6.6 per cent in December did not set a record, however, although it was the biggest monthly increase since 1992.

As ugly as the aggregate numbers are, the details are not much prettier in terms of describing the lamentable state of the economy.

The vast majority of the job losses were full-time, private sector and among the core category of adults between 25 and 54 years of age. But the public sector did not emerge unscathed, losing 42,000 jobs.

If there was any light shining through the black clouds it was in the fact that Canadians that still had jobs were earning more, 4.8 per cent higher than a year ago.

Almost all sectors reported job losses, including transportation and warehousing, business, building, and factory jobs dealing with furniture, computer and electronics, non-metallic mineral products, electrical equipment, appliance and components, and clothing.

Employment in health care and social assistance did increase in January, picking up 31,000, however.

The national unemployment rate was 7.2 per cent in January. Here's what happened provincially (previous month in brackets):

-Newfoundland 14.3 (13.7)

-Prince Edward Island 11.9 (11.7)

-Nova Scotia 8.8 (8.2)

-New Brunswick 8.7 (8.6)

-Quebec 7.7 (7.3)

-Ontario 8.0 (7.2)

-Manitoba 4.6 (4.3)

-Saskatchewan 4.1 (4.2)

-Alberta 4.4 (4.2)

-British Columbia 6.2 (5.3)

The national unemployment rate was 7.2 per cent in January. Statistics Canada also released seasonally adjusted, three-month moving average unemployment rates for major cities but cautions the figures may fluctuate widely because they are based on small statistical samples. (Previous month in brackets.)

-St. John's, N.L. 7.1 (7.2)

-Halifax 5.6 (5.3)

-Saint John, N.B. 6.6 (6.6)

-Saguenay, Que. 8.5 (7.7)

-Quebec 3.8 (3.9)

-Trois-Rivieres, Que. 7.1 (6.5)

-Sherbrooke, Que. 6.7 (6.7)

-Montreal 7.8 (7.5)

-Gatineau, Que. 5.2 (4.4)

-Ottawa 4.5 (4.6)

-Kingston, Ont. 4.9 (4.4)

-Toronto 7.8 (7.3)

-Hamilton 8.0 (7.0)

-Kitchener, Ont. 8.4 (7.9)

-London, Ont. 7.8 (7.3)

-Oshawa, Ont. 8.0 (7.8)

-St. Catharines-Niagara, Ont. 8.8 (8.8)

-Sudbury, Ont. 5.8 (5.6)

-Thunder Bay, Ont. 6.9 (6.6)

-Windsor, Ont. 10.9 (10.1)

-Winnipeg 4.5 (4.5)

-Regina 3.2 (3.6)

-Saskatoon 4.2 (4.0)

-Calgary 4.1 (3.9)

-Edmonton 3.8 (3.6)

-Abbotsford, B.C. 5.8 (5.5)

-Vancouver 5.1 (4.8)

-Victoria 4.0 (3.7)

A quick look at January unemployment (previous month in brackets):

Unemployment rate: 7.2 per cent (6.6)

Number unemployed: 1,310,100 (1,210,100)

Number working: 16,982,000 (17,111,000)

Youth (15-24 years) unemployment: 12.7 (12.9)

Men (25 plus) unemployment: 6.7 per cent (5.8)

Women (25 plus) unemployment: 5.4 per cent (5.0)

We always loose jobs at a faster rate than everybody else because we have sectors in Ontario that ramp up and down quickly...ie auto.

I expected Ontario to lose a great deal of jobs.

However people in BC thought they were immune and it appears they are preforming the worst out of all the western Provinces.

Canadian Unemployment rate: Tougher then the USA's?

Everyone: Interesting unemployment stats for Canada-some areas are indeed being hit quite hard from this rough recession. It looks to me like the Maritimes and cities like Windsor are being hard hit in particular.
Areas doing OK include Alberta-has the boom there slowed down?
LI MIKE

Yes the boom has ended ever since GAS prices went down.

However the economy it self is still doing very well.

It is definitely scary to here the numbers and here personal experiences from people you know who have been affected by the turmoil. I recently read in the news that the Canadian government is going to lower the bar on who is able to collect EI.

I'm not sure if that will help the situation or hinder it... and who knows how long a process like that even takes, will it be worth it to go through the trouble when there is a good chance the economy starts showing signs of picking up late in 2009 early 2010?

It is definitely scary to here the numbers and here personal experiences from people you know who have been affected by the turmoil. I recently read in the news that the Canadian government is going to lower the bar on who is able to collect EI.

I'm not sure if that will help the situation or hinder it... and who knows how long a process like that even takes, will it be worth it to go through the trouble when there is a good chance the economy starts showing signs of picking up late in 2009 early 2010?

Once a recession hits, I think it will take more than a year for the economy to pick itself back up again. It'll probably take a few years. This is only the beginning. The worse might be yet to come.

Can we create an economy thread or we'll be getting a new thread everytime the we get new economic data. I'd call it Recession '09.

When I think of a particularly bad month of jobs reports like this, I remember back to the days when there were surprisingly good news, like the 60,000+ jobs created in just one month back in October of 2005.

There will be a day again where jobs will be created, but for now its just going to be blah.

I've mentioned this in another thread but if we use 1990 as a reference case scenerio (and this recession while different, stands to be at least as bad) unemployment should rise by approximately 5 percent. So starting from a base of 6.2 percent unemployment should hit almost 11 percent. When? Again history suggests a lag time of over 2 years from the start of the technical recession to the peak of unemployment. History doesn't always repeat itself but one thing is sure, this time it is NOT different. We should not expect to see any positive movement in the employment picture until early 2011. Hopefully, for the sake of workers in this country this statement proves to be false.

Back