Toronto Eau du Soleil Condos | 227.98m | 66s | Empire | Richmond Architects

Did the scheduled official ground breaking actually take place?

Secondly, when there is a request for a variance, as is the case here, how soon after the hearing is the decision typically announced? Thanks in advance.

It happened yesterday.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,365
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,476
Secondly, when there is a request for a variance, as is the case here, how soon after the hearing is the decision typically announced? Thanks in advance.

The Committee of Adjustment decides on the spot. Often a "no" from them comes because they feel the magnitude of the request is too large for the CoA to approve, so the applicant would have to go for a zoning amendment for the variance. That's slow and more expensive of course. If Empire can get the variance through the CoA, it won't have cost them much at all.

I look foreword to these sleek towers making a dramatic contribution on the western skyline. From the central waterfront, Humber Bay Shores is going to look quite interesting. I hope the neighbourhood becomes very animated and lively at street level too.

^Not a chance. I'm often in this 'hood and the urban planners--typically--got this wrong: the setbacks are absurb, the streets are too wide, the architecture is mediocre, the retail units are after thoughts, there's no trees or landscaping along the sidewalks, the cars zoom past far too fast; there's simply no lessons learned from past mistakes. HBS should've been modeled after the Mimico/Lake Shore strip just to the west, not MCC.

Earlier today…

DSC03163.jpg
DSC03164.jpg
DSC03169.jpg

Meanwhile, the CoA hearing to determine a number of variances to the plans was heard on June 4. I'm posting the decision below, but will summarize it and present one question at the bottom.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:

To vary By-law 1994-197, as amended by an Ontario Municipal Board Decision (PL130522), in order to construct a 66 and 49 storey mixed-use building with 1,285 residential units.

REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:

1. By-Law 1994-197, as amended by Ontario Municipal Board Decision PL 130522: By-Law Section 5, "Height"

Height means, with respect to a building erected on the Lands, the vertical distance between the grade of the Lands as defined by this By-law and the highest point of the roof surface of the building, but excludes a mechanical penthouse and elevator machine room to a maximum of 17 m.
    The proposed mechanical penthouse will have a height of 19 m.
  2. By-Law 1994-197, as amended by Ontario Municipal Board Decision PL 130522: By-law Section 7.(a)

Notwithstanding By-law No. 1994-197 Schedule D, as amended, and Section 320-68 of the Zoning Code: "The Height of Tower 'A' as measured from the established Grade of Lake Shore Boulevard West (82.05 m), shall not exceed the height shown on Schedule 'B'. Schedule B allows Tower 'A' to have a Building Height of 281.50 m.

The proposed building height of Tower 'A' will be 291.25 m.
  3. By-Law 1994-197, as amended by Ontario Municipal Board Decision PL 130522: By-law Section 9.(b)

The maximum total residential gross floor area permitted on the Lands shall be 85,700 m2. The proposed residential gross floor area will be 88,570 m2.
  4. By-Law 1994-197, as amended by Ontario Municipal Board Decision PL 130522: By-law Section 9.(a)

The maximum total gross floor area permitted on the lands shall be 88,300 m2. The proposed total gross floor area will be 91,185 m2.
Decision Notice - MV.doc Page 1

Zoning CL-H & R4
Ward: Etobicoke-Lakeshore (06)

Community:

A237/15EYK

IT WAS THE DECISION OF THE COMMITTEE OF ADJUSTMENT THAT:
The Minor Variance Application is Approved on Condition. It is the decision of the Committee of Adjustment to authorize this variance application for the following reasons:

• The general intent and purpose of the Official Plan is maintained.
• The general intent and purpose of the Zoning By-law is maintained.
• The variance(s) is considered desirable for the appropriate development of the land.
• In the opinion of the Committee, the variance(s) is minor.

This decision is subject to the following condition(s):

The following condition shall be fulfilled to the satisfaction of the Director of Community Planning Etobicoke York District:

Pursuant to Section 45(9) of the Planning Act, a contribution be made as a community benefit in the amount of $200,000, for local park improvements, payable prior to issuance of an above-grade building permit. This amount is to be indexed upwardly in accordance with the Statistics Canada Non-Residential Construction Price Index for Toronto from the date of the hearing to the date of payment, with the funds to be used solely for the Humber Bay Shores in Ward 6.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, in return for an extra $200,000 of Section 37 funds, the 63-storey tower will be a 66-storey tower. What I am not certain of those is whether the total height equals 291.25 metres minus 82.05 metres above Lake Shore Blvd. as stated in point 2 above, or whether it equals that number plus the 19 metres stated in point 1. I'm inclined to believe the latter, so those numbers currently appear in the dataBase file. If, however, someone familiar with the planning legalese weighs-in in a convincing way, I'll delete the 19 metres-worth? Thank you!

Attachments

• DSC03163.jpg
    DSC03163.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 905
  • DSC03164.jpg
    DSC03164.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 882
  • DSC03169.jpg
    DSC03169.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 896
Your interpretation is correct i42. The wording of the variance means that where the mechanical penthouse initially to rise 17m over the top of the 'roof surface,' it will now do so by 19m.

Back