Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

While walking through the new lower part of the Eaton Centre I couldn't help but find it a tad depressing. I think it's the lighting and the floors. It's a bit dingy and the floors look dated.

I'm with ya. I wish CF used the same architects that just did the Hudsons Bay / Saks renovations - the new tile in the mall feels like it belongs in a City Community Centre. If yorkville can afford granite sidewalks, the Eaton Centre can afford better tile.

It's mostly terrazzo, so it's poured in place and then polished. Very long lasting. It's not really tile.

Sherway Gardens uses French limestone, so I suppose technically that's calcaire française.

Well, in that case - it probably should be tile. Something about Terrazzo screams public school to me.

I thought we had all decided that we had to protect the 1970s design here? Now yet another one of the original components of the design isn't good enough?

Terrazzo is hard-wearing, practical, and can be very beautiful if handled well. I'm happy to see it's finally making a comeback in interior design. Of course, CF are just the sort of finger-on-pulse property managers that they'll rip it out just as it's coming back into vogue again...

Terrazzo is hard-wearing, practical, and can be very beautiful if handled well. I'm happy to see it's finally making a comeback in interior design. Of course, CF are just the sort of finger-on-pulse property managers that they'll rip it out just as it's coming back into vogue again...

On the "bright" side, I don't think they dug it out - just covered it with a layer of tiles.

AoD

I kind of wonder if Saks ostentatiousness will fly in Toronto. It's not really that much of big-spending city.

My thoughts are that it will help increase sales for The Bay (once people get discouraged but still want to leave the store with something and realize how much cheaper items are in comparison to Saks - they will look like a steal!) It's the same reason why Harry Rosen's helps sales at Tip Top.

My thoughts are that it will help increase sales for The Bay (once people get discouraged but still want to leave the store with something and realize how much cheaper items are in comparison to Saks - they will look like a steal!)

The thing is, in recent years, this particular Bay has become more and more expensive. Brands such as Tommy Hilfiger and Nautica, used to be on the higher end in terms of pricing, but now are on the lower end thanks to brands The Bay started carrying, such as A.P.C, Sandro, Theory, etc. So the difference between the two stores isn't that great.

My thoughts are that it will help increase sales for The Bay (once people get discouraged but still want to leave the store with something and realize how much cheaper items are in comparison to Saks - they will look like a steal!) It's the same reason why Harry Rosen's helps sales at Tip Top.

The Bay is still there? They split the building into two stores?

Hudson's Bay still has everything to the west of the skywalk to the Eaton Centre, as well as the three floors above Saks. The Bay still occupies the large majority of the overall retail space.

Back