Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Looks like they replaced some windows and had to remove the panels to do it. It's not the first time going by the different coloured coatings on the glass panels.
Thanks! I can see that now that I look more closely. Looks like a fair bit is being replaced.

I purchased an iPad Pro at the Apple Store yesterday and the place was a complete zoo. Here I was trying to spend $1,600 and couldn't get past the hoards of people crowding around tables. When I finally found an available employee, we talked about the possibility of a new store opening in the new north expansion. He said that he's been hearing that this was the last Christmas in the existing space. I've heard this before from other employees and managers so it's either a well propagated rumour, or it's true.

I walked up to check out progress, and the corner that we expected it to go on is completely sealed with drywall. The fact that an opening hadn't been left for the typical all glass Apple Store design was seen as dismissing the rumour that it was going there. It's now clear that it's sealed for construction and will eventually be opened up for whatever store goes there. Hopefully the rumoured Apple Store.

QAxraTI.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased an iPad Pro a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. I don't use my MacBook Pro at home anymore, there is no need now with this new iPad Pro. How do you like yours so far?

I hope the rumours are true and that Apple will have a new store there sooner than later, the current store is way too small.

The old Sears building is full of supporting pillars.

It breaks Apple's rule of aesthetics for their retail stores, as they very very rarely allow pillars. All we're doing at this point is speculating when there is no solid proof of this even happening. It's like every construction site in this city is hopes for an Apple Store.

*sees a pylon at Yonge & Finch*
"Omg must be an Apple Store"

It breaks Apple's rule of aesthetics for their retail stores, as they very very rarely allow pillars. All we're doing at this point is speculating when there is no solid proof of this even happening. It's like every construction site in this city is hopes for an Apple Store.

What is this:
452px-Apple_Store%2C_Bath%2C_left_interior.jpg

This is an Apple Store in Bath, England. It has many supporting pillars.

What is this:
452px-Apple_Store%2C_Bath%2C_left_interior.jpg

This is an Apple Store in Bath, England. It has many supporting pillars.

... or this:

barcelona-apple-headquarters-03-450x281.jpg

... or this:

apple-store-design.jpg

... or this:

apple-store-inventory-2.jpg

...or this:

article-2205527-151814B9000005DC-710_634x394.jpg

There are plenty of Apple Stores with pillars in the middle of the store.

The reason that speculation is so strong here is that there has been extensive circumstantial evidence.

- The space has been the subject of intense secrecy. What other retailer demands that kind of secrecy? This key piece of real estate isn't going to remain unleased this far into construction. We already know that Uniqlo is taking the other remaining space.
- Apple Store employees have heard that this is their last Christmas at the existing store and that they've skipped their most recent round of renovations. The new wing opens next Fall so a new Apple Store would open before next Christmas.
- The Apple Store is the Eaton Centre's highest revenue generator per square foot. It would be absurd for them to be left out of such a major revitalization, specially given how much in need of more space they are.

The Apple Store has a new concept developed by VP of retail Angela Ahrendts. Whether or not Apple goes in that space, they're going to have a redesigned store relatively soon. It would make no sense to open in the existing space that everyone agrees is too small. I can't imagine Apple pulling out of the Eaton Centre and there's only one place big enough and at a high value location that is currently under construction.

Last edited:
As mentioned "very very rarely allow pillars".

Anything you hear from an employee is pure speculation. "Last christmas" at the store is just an employee guessing.

To end this argument once and for all, the brand new Apple Store in Dubai, built with the brand new concept, is full of pillars/columns:

malloftheemirates_gallery_image2_large.jpg

malloftheemirates_gallery_image3_large.jpg

I can actually see this exact design being used in the old Sears space.

Last edited:
Hmm, not sure if that really ends the argument. The new Apple Stores that are custom built tend to avoid the columns and pillars in favour of open space. This Dubai store just looks like it's in one of their monster malls. Are those columns able to support anything, is a better question; i.e. are they made with plastic (like everything else in Dubai)?

The custom built new format stores (often by Foster) does try to avoid them.

AoD

The last two stores opened in 2015 sure didn't seem to avoid them at all.. Over half the stores opened in 2015 had columns present.

The Apple Store MixC Nanning
MixC Nanning.jpg

The Apple Store Chaoyang Joy City
Chaoyang Joy City .jpg

The Canton Road flagship opened last summer with giant columns:
cantonroad_hero.jpg

Source: Apple Store Fronts

Attachments

• MixC Nanning.jpg
    MixC Nanning.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Chaoyang Joy City .jpg