Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

All of which is still there. Plus the purpose for which it was built. Selling stuff.
All that's left is the galleria and the futuristic Rogers-esque Pompidou inside-outside HVACs and such (I have no idea how to call it, but I love it).

The details themselves are all gone. The only fountain left is the squirting one (and I'm surprised it hasn't been taken out by now).

Of course it was. That's all it ever was.

I couldn't disagree more. It was a mall, of course, but with architecture that gave it a sense of place and made it unique. Filip's comments above are correct. The new extension under Nordstrom, conversely, could be anywhere and looks like a mediocre section of the PATH.

I'm far less upset about the new level of retail blending in and fading to the background than I am the neutering of the main galleria portion of the mall.

I still have a love affair with it, even in this dreadfully awful state it's (apparently!) become. But this isn't a suburban mall nor will it ever be. It's our go-to mall when we have some money to spend after condo life takes 70% of our pay.

I'm far less upset about the new level of retail blending in and fading to the background than I am the neutering of the main galleria portion of the mall.
I like to think that perhaps in thirty years or so the then owners (perhaps prodded by the city) spend sack fulls of cash to restore the galleria to its original, "heritage" state.

looks like they are working on a protruding box - could be a restaurant / cafe for the Nordstorm store...

Getting more visible now..

If it's largely glass it will have a great view overlooking Yonge-Street and Dundas Square.

IMG_20151016_174254.jpg

The Bay used to have that cafeteria on the 8th floor with a view looking above Old City Hall and west to NPS. The windows were large panes of glass. I'd go back for the view, but it's now closed.

Maybe this was addressed earlier on, but did anyone else notice that the illuminated art piece that never worked was removed ... do we know if a new art piece is being installed or if its being repaired?

Maybe this was addressed earlier on, but did anyone else notice that the illuminated art piece that never worked was removed ... do we know if a new art piece is being installed or if its being repaired?
It has been working recently, but it seems to have been shortened somewhat.

Aesthetically, it looked underwhelming and uninspired when I saw it working at Nuit Blanche 2011--dozens of "slivers" of LED light suspended vertically just below the glazed ceiling of the galleria. If it pulsated with waves and changed colours, it would be more interesting. Maybe it does, but I've never seen it working.

It's now about a fifth of its original length, and the panels in it glow brightly. Maybe it was always simply underpowered.

If that's the case, I'd prefer to see them solve the power issue, can get more of the pieces back up. If they think it looks long enough now, they're kidding themselves.

The Bay used to have that cafeteria on the 8th floor with a view looking above Old City Hall and west to NPS. The windows were large panes of glass. I'd go back for the view, but it's now closed.

I loved that café. They did a pretty good club sandwich (as far as old-skool department store food goes), and you couldn't beat the view. It was always full of old people nursing a coffee and a slice of pie, enjoying a quiet day out. Now the only people who get to enjoy the view are the affluent who can rent that event space.

Back