Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I walk past the Apple store in Eaton centre at least twice every day, and I think the less than ideal appeal is mostly due to the lack of space. It is almost always crowded, sometimes as bad as a southbound Yonge subway at 8:30 am.

Plus there is no beauty in the design of the store (exterior and interior). Pretty bareback kind of layout. But it is Apple, and they can get away with it. Most of the clothing stores try to make the setting as nice as possible, while Apple is not so different from a Walmart or Canadian Tire.

Contrary to your opinion that there is no beauty in the design of an Apple Store, many consider Apple Stores to be among the most beautiful retail spaces in the world, celebrated for their clean design. I see no comparison whatsoever to Walmarts or Canadian Tire, that's beyond odd to me.

I have been to the Grand Central a few times and it has a lot of retail, including a Banana Republic, Tumi, MAC cosmetics, as well as several restaurants, so an Apple fits.
http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/pdfs/directoryMap.pdf

Union Station however is not the same. It is nothing but a transit hub. No one will think "let's go to Union Station and do some shopping".

Maybe you are ignorant of the mall that is going into Union Station?

Contrary to your opinion that there is no beauty in the design of an Apple Store, many consider Apple Stores to be among the most beautiful retail spaces in the world, celebrated for their clean design.
I've never felt that wandering into the Apple store that used to be (still is?) in the Eaton's Centre. Haven't been in there for 5 years or so there (what, having no Apple products ...).

I don't know any New Yorkers who would ever say, let's go shopping at Grand Central. Midtown is for the tourists, and Grand Central (and Penn) for transients and tourists. Those stores cater to them, not everyday New Yorkers. Union will be the same, with its mall.

I walk past the Apple store in Eaton centre at least twice every day, and I think the less than ideal appeal is mostly due to the lack of space. It is almost always crowded, sometimes as bad as a southbound Yonge subway at 8:30 am.

Plus there is no beauty in the design of the store (exterior and interior). Pretty bareback kind of layout. But it is Apple, and they can get away with it. Most of the clothing stores try to make the setting as nice as possible, while Apple is not so different from a Walmart or Canadian Tire.
C'mon ksun. Walmart? Really?

I have been to the Grand Central a few times and it has a lot of retail, including a Banana Republic, Tumi, MAC cosmetics, as well as several restaurants, so an Apple fits.
http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/pdfs/directoryMap.pdf

Union Station however is not the same. It is nothing but a transit hub. No one will think "let's go to Union Station and do some shopping".

I think that will start to change with the new retail concourse.

Screen shot 2014-12-11 at 2.13.32 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-12-11 at 2.13.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-12-11 at 2.13.32 PM.png
    952.4 KB · Views: 1,059
How uncharacteristic is the level of secrecy in the retail industry? Could it not be another store? I have a hard time believing that Apple is looking at three new locations in Toronto.

That's why I'm not going to call it just yet. But there are certain demands in terms of build design that Apple is known for in the industry. That, and not just the secrecy is what lead to this suspicion.

Contrary to your opinion that there is no beauty in the design of an Apple Store, many consider Apple Stores to be among the most beautiful retail spaces in the world, celebrated for their clean design. I see no comparison whatsoever to Walmarts or Canadian Tire, that's beyond odd to me.

not this particular apple store.

I don't think *any* Apple Store, custom or otherwise is comparable to Walmart or Sears, and that is your original point.

AoD

I don't think they look alike either. What I meant was they (the Toronto one specifically) seem to have put similar effort (or the lack of it) in making the store attractive.
Feel free to think the Eaton Centre Apple store is beautiful or well-designed. I just don't find it any more appealing than a Walmart or Canadian Tire. Believe it or not, some urban Walmart stores are pretty nice. although the word Walmart itself seems to be an anathema on this forum.

Back