Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

They're all the same "ugh this building sucks" "omg it's so bad" "i hate it", but no actual reasons.
Is it the design? The quality of the materials? The building job?

All of the above. It's a lazy, jumbled mess by almost any definition.

There are a number of obvious deficiencies, including (off the top of my head -- it's been a while):

- satellite screens that are unevenly spaced because someone didn't measure correctly
- "design" elements that were only partially completed, or cheapened to oblivion (the cylindrical thing on the north side, the roof elements)
- it lacks any real coherence as a building

And various regrettable "design decisions," such as:

- the huge blank corrugated walls on the east and north sides
- fake fans and vents
- the best outdoor lanterns Canadian Tire has to offer
- ineffective, pointless awnings along Yonge that just drip tons of water on pedestrians

They couldn't even do utilitarian right.

This seems way too short to do justice to anyone who appreciates design on any level, so here's a much better list by Sir Novelty Fashion.

Last edited:
Scaffolding ruining my photos of the Eaton Centre Christmas Tree this year...

5230369301_a438f976d1_b.jpg

5230960906_f0074f462c_b.jpg

5230952910_fb4f2352e9_b.jpg

... and what message might Aritzia be sending with this picture of a skull next to the tree?

Not to sound grinchy or anything but I wish they would retire that tree. Why not go for a real one? Also I'm curious if there is a real tree in the city decorations anywhere? There isn't one in Dundas Square but I can't remember if there is one in NPS or Queen's Park.

I think the one in Dundas Square looks kind of cheap for what purports to be the "centre" of downtown Toronto. I wish we had a real tree, Rockfeller Center on a smaller scale, but make it an event. This thing looks like it was put together from balls purchased at a craft store.

^ We do have one like that at City Hall.

Furthering this point ... I think the NPS tree is even larger most years ... the one this year was a little smaller.

Furthering this point ... I think the NPS tree is even larger most years ... the one this year was a little smaller.

OK, but why can't DS have its own? Am I the only one that finds it a bit cheap looking? (I do like the polar bears though)

Big deal; Y-D Square is already totally plastic, so a fake tree suits the occasion...

Back