News   Apr 23, 2024
 240     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

East York-Old East York

It wasn't just "the east end" that required hydro conversion.
Much of Southern Ontario, from Whitby to Windsor, was on 25 cycle hydro power.
Ontario Hydro introduced a massive program in 1950 to change the power from 25 to 60 cycles.
All electric motors, for example, in homes and businesses were replaced (at the government's expense, I believe).

We checked out Pho Challenge at lunch the other day. It was more Thai than Vietnamese but that was fine. Of course, Thai places are all over the Danforth but it's nice have something on the burgeoning Pape strip. Anyway, the place is spic'n'span and the grub, while not spectacular, was better than expected. I ordered the tofu spring rolls (not fried) which came up a dynamite sauce, a huge hot'n'sour soup LOADED with tofu but light on mushrooms and other veg plus we shared a mango salad which was pretty good. My friend had the beef bowl which was large, artfully arranged with veg, spring roll (fried), rice vermicelli and tender strips of mildly sweet and spicy beef. Enough for two there. It's family run and the service was enthusiastic if amateurish. I would definitely go back.

Thanks for the review of Pho Challenge. My wife and I both like Thai and Vietnamese and are always looking for new spots. We tried Pho Thien Phat on Don Mills near Overlea, and while the bun was ok, the pho was not very flavourful. Not bad, just lacking depth. Little Coxwell is still the family favourite.

So, good news in time for gardening season. A new garden centre is opening in Bill's old location. Signs have gone up for Kleinburg Nursery. Drove by yesterday, and it looked like they were stocking the outdoor and indoor spaces. Also, there were Help Wanted signs in the windows, if anyone knows anyone looking for garden-related work.

Looks like they only lasted 1 season.
For Lease sign as of early June 2017. They couldn't even stay open for spring.

Looks like they only lasted 1 season.
For Lease sign as of early June 2017. They couldn't even stay open for spring.

Yeah, it was a bit weird. After Christmas, they announced dates for the reopening of their Vaughan and Toronto stores. Then in April (IRCC), they announced the sale of the land at their Vaughan location. Never was there, but presume the land was very valuable. More than one garden centre has been lost to escalating land values. Posted that they would still be reopening the Toronto store, but announced in early May that it wouldn't be reopening either. It apppears that they lost interest, more than the Toronto store not doing well, but hard to tell. Could be anything.

The City of Toronto issued this news release through Canada News Wire on Saturday.

News Release

June 17, 2017

Celebration at the East York Civic Centre launches the Cultural Hotspot

Today, Mayor John Tory was joined by Councillor Mary Fragedakis (Ward 29 Toronto-Danforth) and Councillor Janet Davis (Ward 31 Beaches-East York) at a free afternoon of performances and art activities to celebrate the launch of the fourth annual Cultural Hotspot.

"The multitude of East York and East End events gathered together under the Cultural Hotspot initiative shows that there is so much more to explore beyond Toronto's downtown core," said Mayor Tory.

From now through to October, the City of Toronto's fourth annual Cultural Hotspot celebrates arts, culture and community in East York and East End communities. This year's program includes two new community festivals, multiple collaborative mural arts projects, creative arts workshops for all ages, art exhibits, music, poetry, dance performances and a HOT Eats program that features more than 85 local restaurants.

“The Cultural Hotspot provides established and emerging local artists and arts organizations a larger platform to be seen and appreciated by visitors and residents from across the city," said Councillor Fragedakis.

“The Hotspot's emphasis on youth engagement through artistic expression gives participants an opportunity to experience the powerful effects art can have on personal development,” said Councillor Davis (Ward 31 Beaches-East York).

Since the Cultural Hotspot's launch in 2014, more than 60,000 people have attended over 180 projects and events presented by the City and its many partners in North York, Etobicoke and south Scarborough. The program has also engaged and mentored hundreds of young people since its inception.

More event information and the program guide for the Cultural Hotspot is available at http://www.toronto.ca/culturalhotspot and on social media at http://www.twitter.com/culturalhotspot and http://www.facebook.com/culturalhotspot.

The Cultural Hotspot is produced by the City of Toronto in collaboration with local arts, cultural, educational and heritage organizations, community partners and local businesses.

The Cultural Hotspot media partners are the New Classical 96.3 FM and Metroland Media.

This news release is also available on the City's website: http://ow.ly/KcMT30cHPtJ.

NEW nursery opening at the location - Davenport Garden Center - as per the banner displayed at the moment.
Hopefully this location will work out for them.

Good news. Too bad they missed the summer season, but maybe this will allow them to gear up slowly for next season. It's a good location for a garden centre that is well run, and Davenport Garden Centre has a great reputation.

I heard a rumour that Whistler's Grill at Broadview and Mortimer is going to be razed for a new residential development. I don't see anything on the city website. Does anyone have any info?

I heard a rumour that Whistler's Grill at Broadview and Mortimer is going to be razed for a new residential development. I don't see anything on the city website. Does anyone have any info?

There was an article somewhere this weekend saying that Whistler's was closing. The owner was interviewed, end of an era, etc... you get the picture. I will try to find it - I think I saw it posted on one of the Facebook neighbourhood pages.

I don't know that the redevelopment is imminent - not sure, can't even recall if it has been approved yet or not. Might be more of an end-of-lease/not-going-to-renew thing with Whistler's, given that the site might not be redeveloped tomorrow, but it's coming at some point.

ETA: Landmark East York eatery Whistler's closing at end of year

Sounds like the owner decided it was a good time to close, given he's been doing it for 30+ years, and the site is being sold to a new landowner who intends to redevelop.

Last edited:

Back