News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 735     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

East Danforth

....there was a shooting at the Main St. Subway Station last night...at the bus terminal.

That's it..just saying...don't mean anything by it WHATsoever. *ahem* told you so *ahem*

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080905/080905_shootings_TTC/20080905/?hub=CP24Home

It's called city life, RobbieDigital. A few months ago a random woman, completely unprovoked, was stabbed by a reckless man wandering around Broadview & Danforth. That hardly makes it South Central LA.

Actually, I'm not.

'lesser cultures'. You serious?

Why is this so hard to believe, other than that it is offensive to PC sensibilities, which are a load of horseshit to begin with?

Canada, the US, Australia, western Europe, even India are a product of Western culture (ideals, social constructs, systems of government, law, etc).

The middle-east, northern Africa = products of Islamic culture

You tell me which places you'd rather live. No, it's not a coincidence either.

Why is this so hard to believe, other than that it is offensive to PC sensibilities, which are a load of horseshit to begin with?

Canada, the US, Australia, western Europe, even India are a product of Western culture (ideals, social constructs, systems of government, law, etc).

The middle-east, northern Africa = products of Islamic culture

You tell me which places you'd rather live. No, it's not a coincidence either.

It's hard to take you seriously when you post nonsense like this.

It's hard to take you seriously when you post nonsense like this.

Exactly what part of it is non-sense? The proof is in the pudding. If you're to blind or naive to see that, then that's your problem.

The fact that the Middle East, despite having an insane amount of oil reserves (unlike, say, legitimately poor African nations) is a shit-hole is a direct result of the religion and culture of the region.

For example, separation of Church and State is a completely foreign concept in Islamic nations, but a very very important one that has allowed the West to progress.

In any case, if you're not even able to debate what I'm saying in an intelligent way, there's not much point to this discussion. Simply saying "that's nonsense" because you've been brainwashed with ludicrous PC notions that "everyone is equal" is not an argument.

So the guy who labels the Middle East a shithole is calling for an intelligent argument? Throwing out talk of oil reserves and seperation of church and state isn't hiding the racist foundation of what you're saying, and neither is your dismissal of cultural equality as 'ludicrous PC notions'.

So the guy who labels the Middle East a shithole is calling for an intelligent argument? Throwing out talk of oil reserves and seperation of church and state isn't hiding the racist foundation of what you're saying, and neither is your dismissal of cultural equality as 'ludicrous PC notions'.

Oh, the majority of it isn't? Go live in Iran then, and see how it is. Or better yet Syria...or maybe Saudi?

Racist foundation? What RACE would that be? You people are fucking morons...just throwing around words (racism!) without even understanding the meaning behind them. There are numerous RACES inhabiting the region, you twat.

Whether or not you consider me "racist" or not, I don't give a shit...cultural equality is absolutely false. And I'm not even arguing for my own background or culture at the moment...just in general.

Is the culture of the native people of South America equivalent to that of the Japanese? You would argue "yes", because otherwise you'd be called a racist, god forbid. Well, that and you're dumb. But they're clearly not. Why? Well...one is responsible for Japan, and the others are living in a jungle. See? It's pretty simple. That's not to say that one is all bad and the other is all good...but overall.

This thread is not a critique of Muslim culture. If you are into that sort of thing, there are forums elsewhere online devoted to such.

AoD

Oh, the majority of it isn't? Go live in Iran then, and see how it is. Or better yet Syria...or maybe Saudi?
Are you not familiar with the indigenous secular movements in these "backward" states? Former Prime Minister Mossadegh of Iran attempted to nationalize the Iranian oil industry and develop democratic and secular institutions. In other words, a sustainable community. However Iran was overthrown by UK and US who felt that was within their interest to support a despotic Pahlavi regime.

The same applies to Africa where the secular leader, Patrice Lumumba of the Republic of Congo who was assasinated by Western governments (Belgian, UK, and US). This led to the war that's hit Southern Africa killing millions. Similarly colonialism has left scars on the continent that has yet to disappear.

Back to the totalitarian regimes in the oil-rich Middle East. Nations such as Saudi Arabia, UAE, and what not have been backed by the West since the beginning of the cold war. In fact, without the Western powers, these nations would literally collapse. Intelligence and weaponry not to mention capital (through oil imports) provided effectively destroyed secular movements in the Middle East.

What about Syria, Yemen and other nations not directly aided by the West? Well, Saudi Arabia et al often backed anti-democratic religious elements within these nations. In fact thanks to Israel, UK and US, they used Saudi Arabia and Pakistan to arm religious fanatics in Afghanistan. Now we see fanatical movements running around Central Asia, Middle East and sometimes even our side.

Racist foundation? What RACE would that be? You people are fucking morons...just throwing around words (racism!) without even understanding the meaning behind them. There are numerous RACES inhabiting the region, you twat.
The term race isn't scientific, but rather a socio-cultural construct. No point in demanding others to define races. It's pointless. Instead we should understand the concept of racism which is actually a race-based hierarchy.

In this hierarchal system, the white race is the dominant while "others" are subordinate. I see no need to define "others", because white race represents a narrow Judeo-Christian, Western European archetype which the former is not a part of. Note that the so called "Caucasian" race isn't technical. No one in the Middle East actually views themselves as "Caucasian". In fact culturally (Afro-Asiatic, Turkic tongue, Islam, etc) and genetically (E3b, J, etc) cluster with Africans (Blacks included) and South/ West Asians.

The peoples in this region don't fall under the "white" archetype unless we're referring to Mesopotamians. In that case, this group of people would be "white" under the erroneous racist system. See the bullshit in the hierarchy? If we refer to history, we'd see that Western Europeans saw civilization very recently, and its parent in Southern Europe is the offspring of the African and West Asian civilizations.

In fact, the "civilization-based" or technological hierarchy often changes. It certainly isn't static.

Whether or not you consider me "racist" or not, I don't give a shit...cultural equality is absolutely false. And I'm not even arguing for my own background or culture at the moment...just in general.
It's true that cultural equality may not be true, but we need to look at WHY these disparities exist. None are natural, AAA says it well:

The tragedy in the United States has been that the policies and practices stemming from this worldview succeeded all too well in constructing unequal populations among Europeans, Native Americans, and peoples of African descent. Given what we know about the capacity of normal humans to achieve and function within any culture, we conclude that present-day inequalities between so-called "racial" groups are not consequences of their biological inheritance but products of historical and contemporary social, economic, educational, and political circumstances. Link
That said, Muslims in the West AFAIK are largely peaceful people. It's obvious that a number may frown at the West's hypocritical foreign policy and its history of sponsoring terrorism. I don't see anything wrong with that. And sure we may see honour killings on our side, but honestly, if foreign elements didn't destroy the secular movements, these traditions may have been no more.

Is the culture of the native people of South America equivalent to that of the Japanese? You would argue "yes", because otherwise you'd be called a racist, god forbid. Well, that and you're dumb. But they're clearly not. Why? Well...one is responsible for Japan, and the others are living in a jungle. See? It's pretty simple. That's not to say that one is all bad and the other is all good...but overall.
Huh? The Incan culture was quite sophisticated as well. It's rather unfortunate that the indigenous peoples didn't kill the Europeans vs. sheltering them. Like what my Korean roommate says, that too is a sign of a weakness.

^ Thank you. I am a latecomer, having just stumbled upon this thread, but it's amazing how a thread allegedly about one thing can degenerate so rapidly into something else entirely.

Now if anyone has legitimate comments about the East Danforth neighbourhood ...

I have no problem debating an issue, but I'm not about to waste my time on someone who tells you how it is while leaving no room for civilized debate. Good riddance.

Archie Bunker Houses

I had to laugh at the person who made the comment about Archie Bunker houses.
My Dad said exactly the same thing about this area when he visited me for the first time.

In other news....

Danforth Village (between Main and Victoria Park) has created a Business Improvement District.
I'm not sure how active it is, especially since the last newsletter on the website is dated May 2008.

http://www.dvbia.ca/

I noticed new planters have been placed along the street.
However, they really need to do something more to better soften the street along this strip.

I'm not sure if trees would help or not. It depends if they could live long enough before succumbing to pollution.
Perhaps they could try things like a boulevard, street islands, or even angle parking.

Also, that concrete wall along Shopper's World (the former Eaton's store) needs streetfacing retail storefronts in a HUGE way.
Right now it looks like a prison all the way from the Zellers parking lot eastward.

One or two new stores have opened up, but the area still needs a lot of work.
One brave soul has tried to open a somewhat upscale looking restaurant called Bistro Camino.
I've passed it a few times, but I've never seen anyone in there.
It's a few doors down from a homeless shelter, so I'm not sure if that scares people away.

Anyhow, this neighbourhood is definitely still on the gritty side, but I like it.
Given the fact that downtown is accessible (Subway, Main Streetcar, Go Train), and it's not too far from the trendier Beach or Greektown (10 or 15 minute bike ride), I find this area is somewhat of a bargain, especially if one can overlook a bit of the grit. :)

Back