Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

I think we need a waterfront wide BIA that is willing to pay a bit extra on top of the city rate to get non-standard bins emptied.

AoD

The issue here is not a BIA, nor is it Parks; its Solid Waste Management. In the City's infinite wisdom (cough) garbage collection in parks was transferred from PARKS to SOLID WASTE.

Its the new dept. that then decided it would 'standardize' garbage pick up so that the the existing method and trucks used for residential service could be used for parks.

PARKS previously picked up its own garbage w/its own staff and vehicles none of which were automatic bin lifters.

The only way to get back to letting aesthetics reign is to give this service back to PARKS as SWM will not agree to anything non-standard.

Yes I realize that - what I meant is taking this completely away from SWM and have it done privately, with the BIA picking up the delta. Given the condition of the park, I think removing it from Parks might also be a good idea as well.

AoD

The new Astral ones are decent, why not install those?

There are also the huge round plastic bins along the waterfront near Ontario Place that are even uglier than the ones at Sugar Beach. In fact some of them are sealed shut and 'not in service' for whatever reason.

Not sure about SB, but I know there were custom bins at Corktown Commons that were removed - don't think we should use the generic ones if it's only a matter of replacing these ugly bins with the old ones. Also I've noticed that the various design elements at SB uses chrome - the Astral bins won't fit with that.

AoD

There are also the huge round plastic bins along the waterfront near Ontario Place that are even uglier than the ones at Sugar Beach. In fact some of them are sealed shut and 'not in service' for whatever reason.
I think that is PanAm/security related. It's too bad because now there is garbage all around them

While the garbage cans are unfortunate, those pics are otherwise amazing. They almost look like renders in terms of how great the result is. The trees are especially fantastic, and I agree that the city should consider requiring silva cells for all tree plantings if that's what they can produce. For all the justified bellyaching about various projects and lack of ambition in Toronto's public realm, this project has really been a smashing success.

The guys working on the site told me a few weeks ago that the extension of the promenade east from Sherbourne Common will open "in August". Not sure how well informed they are but WT certainly opened the promenade south of Corus & GBC while the buildings were going up. I guess we will see..... Not sure that having it open or closed will make much difference to the trees or to us but ...

I got an update from WT - no ETA - basically it won't open until it is safe (from Aqualina/vista construction). I definitely wouldn't think that would be August.

AoD

They need to find the nursery that provided those initial trees and reward them with all future contracts! The difference in product quality between the Sherbourne Common supplier and the Sugar Beach supplier are almost night and day!

They need to find the nursery that provided those initial trees and reward them with all future contracts! The difference in product quality between the Sherbourne Common supplier and the Sugar Beach supplier are almost night and day!

They also need to keep on top of the planted trees as well - I think it would be great if we can have an adopt-a-tree program in Toronto.

AoD

Apologies if this has been posted already -- a very interesting comparison (from 2013) of trees planted at Sugar Beach, the Water's Edge Promenade, and Sherbourne Common:
http://www.deeproot.com/blog/blog-entries/lessons-from-three-adjacent-silva-cell-projects

The growth of the trees on the promenade is especially impressive given the lack of proper irrigation after planting. Let's hope the trees on the east promenade do equally well.
So far, they seem to be doing ok.

Back