Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

So when's the Guvernment being torn down?

Also - that pit being dug for George Brown so close to the water looks treacherous...

I also wondered about hte Guvernments future... I have no prob with clubs, but wouldn't mind some midrises in their instead at the foot of jarvis. Any idea whats planned there?

First, whether you were being sarcastic or not, I would not describe it as world-class. Second, I've been to the Guv (including Kool Haus, Orange Room, etc.) many times, and still go every once in a while. They still bring in a lot great djs with the place often over capacity. I spent an hour in line to see Deadmau5 before they turned me and 300 other people away.

My 'happiness' does not stem from seeing the venue or the use of the building going away, but more of seeing the long-awaited arrival of the East Bayfront neighbourhood. It's inevitable that the Guv will be redeveloped into something that is more compatible with the rest of East Bayfront. Still could be 5-10 years away, if the Guv does not get shut down by then.

Last edited:
I remember back when the Guv had a row of port-o-potties serving as the men's bathroom. They eventually classed up the interior a little bit, allowing for permanent washroom facilities. I wonder if that renovation had it's own thread on UT? :)

Nostalgia aside - I agree - if Waterfront Toronto's vision for Queen's Quay actually comes to fruition, the Guv's days are numbered.

I also wondered about hte Guvernments future... I have no prob with clubs, but wouldn't mind some midrises in their instead at the foot of jarvis. Any idea whats planned there?

Guvernment is doing just fine. In fact, one of the reasons why CiRCA closed was because its management was near decapitated when the biggest names heading the venue went to Guvernment. Some of this city's biggest minds in entertainment are @ Guv now. I think it'll eventually close when this area develops, but that's 10 years or more down the road.

Heaven forbid anybody have a little fun in this city. It may not be your thing, but Guv is a (ahem) world-class entertainment venue.

Let's not confuse "large" with "world-class." I would humbly submit that Guv is not world-class fun. It is, in fact, about as low-class as fun gets. Maybe they could use a bit more of said "fun" in Etobicoke, though.

Guvernment, Kool Haus, Former Warehouse, Orange Room, Skybar, etc...

I partied my butt off for many years at guv, (also go still from time to time as well, and was last at the decadance party about a year ago). I have to say though, it was super low brow, and was boarding on debauchery and crass many times. I loved it but it was a phase, and wouldn't want this venue to define our city as much as it does Miami, Ibiza, or other club hot spots. Would be much better for the city if it fit in to the plan for the nabe. Perhaps we should move this discussion to a different thread, but thats my 2 cents. I would be fine with losing Guv in hopes of some added energy and people action along our waterfront area. Maybe some sort of festival venue could be located there? (Just thinking out loud...)

Last edited:
I remember back when the Guv had a row of port-o-potties serving as the men's bathroom. They eventually classed up the interior a little bit, allowing for permanent washroom facilities. I wonder if that renovation had it's own thread on UT? :)

Nostalgia aside - I agree - if Waterfront Toronto's vision for Queen's Quay actually comes to fruition, the Guv's days are numbered.

UT didn't exist at that point.

click the link below for photos.

Torontoist & Waterfront Toronto Want You to Name a New Waterfront Park

At the foot of Sherbourne Street, extending across almost four acres from Lake Shore Boulevard right up to the water, a new public park is being built. Torontoist and Waterfront Toronto want you to choose its name.

By the time both of its two halves are open to the public—the part south of Queens Quay opens this summer, while the north part opens this fall—the park will boast lots of green (with almost two hundred trees), lots of blue (a water channel that runs the length of the park, with Lake Ontario sitting at the park's southernmost end), a dash of art (three nine-metre-tall sculptures that together compose "Light Showers," by artist Jill Anholt), and a lot of potential fun for its visitors (two children's play areas, a pond that in the winter serves as a skating rink). The park's green in that other way, too: hidden underneath it is a storm water management system, which takes in water, purifies it, and pumps it back out into the lake. Right now, the site is mostly isolated, but over the course of a few years, a community will spring up around the park, with George Brown College, residential buildings, and a whole fleet of Torontonians moving in to the area around it.

Just for now, the park's name is Sherbourne Park—but that's a placeholder for something better. That's where you come in: until May 14, the public can submit their names for the park, right here. After that, a selection committee consisting of representatives from the City; Torontoist; Waterfront Toronto; Great Gulf Homes; Phillips, Farevaag, Smallenberg (PFS); and George Brown will meet to whittle the list of submissions down to about ten finalists. Then, on May 31, it's back over to you, to vote our list of ten names down to three, and then vote one last time to determine our big winner. On June 16, Toronto finds out the new name for a park that's worth getting very excited about.

Got an idea for a name? You can get started here.

Photos of the park, taken on April 25, by Remi Carreiro/Torontoist.

http://torontoist.com/2010/04/rename_sherbourne_park.php

Whacking big insert in today's G&M

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/explore_projects

It's actually about all the projects, but this was the easiest to find today. Mods, feel free to cross-post...

Anyhoo, the WT folks were definitely beating the drum -- I'm betting the criticism about 'not being ready for the Pan Ams' might have stung a bit, or maybe they just wanted to get a propaganda blast out as construction season begins in earnest. Nothing particularly new, but they stuck to the SB and SP timelines with SB coming this summer as Corus Quay also gets opened.

One thing that's WDL-related -- they mentioned that a TCHC buiding was 'under construction'. Is there another building for TCHC going into WDL other than at the corner of King & St. Lawrence. 'Cause if that's what they're referring to, they mean 'we've parked a piece of construction equipment on it.'

Waterfront Toronto has redesigned their website as part of this general push. I'm not sure it's an improvement, and (especially with regard to Sherbourne Park) it seems impossible to find basic layout/design information on projects. There are plenty of renders and artist conceptions, but not much I can find in the way of basic arial views that tell one where things will go.

The redesigned Waterfront Toronto Website is an improvement if you want entry level, one-page explanations and links to videos, but if you're looking for the dozens of substantial planning documents, that used to be there - and were really easy to find - good luck. They are (or aren't) scattered where you might or might not find them. There is a place called the Document Library, but as far as I can tell, you can only get to it through the site map. And oh ... it has no documents as yet. I suspect that a lot of interesting things have disappeared forever, or will only be findable if you know they exist and can locate them through the search function.

This seems to have been designed along the same principles as the revamped TTC site; much less in-depth content, and actually harder to navigate for anyone who already knows the topic and knows what they are looking for. Dumbed down.

Back