News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 897     0 

East Bayfront: Parkside/Bayside/Dockside neighbourhoods Overview

If anyone has read the RFP (Request for Proposals) document, you'll see that Waterfront Toronto has very specific demands for East Bayfront:Bayside. This will be a public live/work/shop/play complex.

Cityzen did a great job with Pier 27 in that it is a private development so their spatial dynamics/interactions are focused on their own concerns. BUT, with the height of the buildings and the overall design of the towers, they've done a good job inviting people to the lake as unlike Corus Quay, the plans don't seem to create a barrier at the water, rather you look through the buildings. Their plans do, in fact, include a 25 metre-wide promenade as specified by Waterfront Toronto(TBC by Cityzen).

What I'm trying to get at is Cityzen will build the last private development on the East Waterfront (Yonge East towards Parliament) and it is irrelevant in comparison to Bayside/Parkside.

The RFP shows that the developers and builders do have some freedom, but, Waterfront Toronto is very specific with what they want East Bayfront to look at. Basically, each builder/developer personalizes this land according to WT's specs./needs/desires, and Waterfront Toronto selects the proposal that they like the best based on architecture, environmental sustainability, and the overall effect of "inviting the public to the waterfront".

All in all, the success of this project will be dependent on the removal of the Gardiner Expressway (from Jarvis to DVP), the re-location of Redpath Sugars, and routing of TTC LRT (streetcar) to the East Waterfront. If these 3 external events do not take place, I can't see the East Waterfront becoming what WT and the city has desired.

I know of Cityzen's presence on UT so they can confirm anything in this post :)

I sure as hell hope there is some kind of entertainment value along the waterfront (along with a few nice restaurants overlooking the lake and stores along Queens Quay) or we will just be building another boring residential neighbourhood like Cityplace but without the tall towers. The new Fort York district is turning out muck the same way, tall condos with little retail and no restaurants or anything of interest to anyone. Strictly residential just doesn't cut it for me, not in the downtown Toronto.

A great walking city doesn't have dead zones. I want to be able to walk from the waterfront to Davenport and have a number of options, where I can walk along fun, lively streets that are filled with people and feel safe, day and night. I just hope East Bayfront contributes to that. Cityplace should have been one of those kinds of districts but it's not. So yeah, I'm very worried about all the new residential/mixed use areas being developed in downtown. Once it's built and it's a dead zone, it's too late.

I don't want suburbia in downtown Toronto!

Last edited:
Bayside Short-List

1. Cadillac Fairview/Monarch/Fram/Albanese (USA)
2. Hines (USA)
3. Menkes/AEW (USA)
4. Cityzen/Walker (Australia)

This is information from a PDF file I downloaded on www.waterfronttoronto.ca. It is a press release dated June 19, 2008. It also lists the architects and environmental assessment/engineering firms going to be used by each developer/builder. It also lists the short-list for Parkside, but, as we know, Great Gulf has been awarded that contract.

www.waterfronttoronto.ca OR www.buildeastbayfront.com

That's where I get all of my information, I saw that GG was awarded this job a while ago.

Even searching both of those websites, I only see the short-lists for both projects. I'll have to take your word for it.

I'm really excited to see a preliminary design. On the first page, the architects listed under the GG proposal are Moshe Safdie and Quadrangle. Is this still true?

re: Bayside Short List (Cadillac Fairview/Monarch/Fram/Albanese)

Monarch is no longer part of that bid group. Monarch has been replaced by Daniels. This is a very strong group and should have a good change of winning.

Last edited:
Okay - this thread is for overall discussion of the East Bayfront neighbourhoods.

For specific projects and parcels, please see these threads:

East Bayfront: Parkside Condo (5 Lower Sherbourne, Great Gulf, 36s, Safdie/Quadrangle)

East Bayfront: Bayside 13 Acre Parcel

Corus Quay (East Bayfront Dockside, 7s, D+S)

George Brown College (East Bayfront Dockside, Queens Quay e of Jarvis, Stantec/KPMB)

Some posts were deleted which were pretty much there only owing to the general confusion within this combined thread. Others were moved to the above listed threads.

Last edited:
I would think this thread would belong better in a different forum, or not even at all.
We could have a thread for each "parcel". Bayside, Parkside, and Dockside, but to have one that covers them all, plus each parcel, plus each development seems a bit much. Not to mention confusing, never knowing where to post stuff.

My thought behind this thread is that it will help people figure out where Dockside, Parkside, and Bayside are in relation to each other. More than that, members here seem to want to discuss development issues for the area as a whole.

In regards to the Bayside parcel, while the 13 acres is up for grabs, why not discuss its possibilities in one coherent thread. Some day, once the winners have been determined and they begin to bring specific projects online there, we will naturally have a thread for each separately named project, as always.

Great Gulf's Parkside condo gets its own thread now because just like Corus and George Brown, it is a specific, identifiable project... and that's how we always do things in P&C. I don't see what's so confusing about that.

I just don't see a need for a thread for the overall area...
Maybe a thread for each section, like "Parkside development thread", "Bayside development thread", "Dockside development thread".
Then also a specific thread for each development.

The other option would be to keep this thread, and not have a thread for each area, like parkside, bayside, dockside, while still having one for each specific development.

I would prefix developments with "East Bayfront" that are in the area but I don't think we need a separate "East Bayfront" thread... unless it is to simply link to all the other threads. Corus, George Brown, Parkside, Sherbourne Park, Sugar Beach, eventually Bayside projects, and maybe the boardwalk and slip end projects in the area, and West Waterfront LRT could all be labelled Easy Bayfront.

Enviro, they are all labeled East Bayfront, other than the West Waterfront LRT because, well, think about it.

This thread is here for those times when members may want to discuss how the whole East Bayfront is shaking out as a whole: it's like a Neighbourhood Node thread for a neighbourhood that is a project, and is under construction. I hope that won't prove to be too difficult a concept in practice.

Back