News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 328     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Durham Region Transit / Pulse

I don't expect any extra trips before 9 AM on Sundays.

As they are adding 12 more departures in each direction from Union on Saturdays (24 more trips on each line), and only 7-8 departures in each direction from Union on Sundays (15 new trips on each line) ... and there's currently 18 departures eastbound from Union (35 trips currently on the line) and 19 departures westbound from Union (37 trips currently on the line), I'd guess that there won't be any additional early Sunday departures.

It's a shame they don't actually add some later trains, with the last departures from Union currently at 12:13 AM and 12:43 AM.

That's right. I expect 30 minute service on Sundays between 11 AM to 7 PM or something like that, on Saturdays between 8 AM and 8 PM or something to that effect. You're also right, I'd also like to see one later train on LSE (especially) and LSW, though it's nice that all corridors except Richmond Hill have buses leaving Union after 2AM now.

That's right. I expect 30 minute service on Sundays between 11 AM to 7 PM or something like that, on Saturdays between 8 AM and 8 PM or something to that effect.
I'd hope to see some extra later departures from Union on Saturdays to at least 10 pm or so ... I guess with only 12 extra departures some will be unhappy.

You're also right, I'd also like to see one later train on LSE (especially) and LSW, though it's nice that all corridors except Richmond Hill have buses leaving Union after 2AM now.
Which doesn't do much good, as they skip the stations in Toronto other than Union ... which on Lakeshore East, means that once the bus leaves Union it skips 5 stations and only serves 4!

There's a report going to next week's Transit Executive Committee meeting reporting on the status of development of DRT's next 5 year service plan. It contains some maps showing proposals for significant changes over the next 5 years to deal with growth (northwest Ajax, Seaton, Brooklin, etc), accomodate the existance of Pulse, and generally improve route structures further.

There are also public meetings over the next several weeks to get feedback to refine this plan before it's finalized. If you're interested, definitely check for the dates in the report (or see the ads in the local Metroland papers this week).

I've placed a copy of the report at this link. I'm NOT including map images here because they're not great quality in the report and I think that extracting images into separate files will make it worse, so just look at the PDF. :)

One word of caution: DRT has often tended to ignore its own long term service plans in favour of decisions made each year, so I don't necessarily expect any of this to happen.

A look at proposals for the next two years.
Some interesting stuff including connections to Orillia and Lindsay, new Pulse route on Simcoe Street, and expansion of dial-a-bus.

This is really quite good.

That's not to say service will be passable by 2018; but passable will be within sight, for the first time in living memory, in Durham.

More will need to be done to flesh-out the high-frequency network.

In particular they need to add the Bayly/Bloor corridor; and 3-4 more n-s routes to fill in the large gaps in the network.

But really, a dramatic improvement going on there.

My only concern is that DRT is very likely to raise the fares to $4.00 this year, in which my opinion it would discourage some ridership. The bulk of the ridership is heavily relies on students who goes to Durham College/UOIT. I think the best way to encourage and to increase ridership is to have a 8 month to 12 month free transit (100% subsidized) pilot program. I'm not sure if it's economically viable to support it though.

This is my interpretation of the Durham Highway 2 BRT from Scarborough Town Centre Station throughout Durham to Bowmanville.
I aped the design of the Metrolinx Hurontario and Finch plans to make it look as official as possible lol.
Yes, it is very longggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.
lxo84Aw.png

This is my interpretation of the Durham Highway 2 BRT from Scarborough Town Centre Station throughout Durham to Bowmanville.
I aped the design of the Metrolinx Hurontario and Finch plans to make it look as official as possible lol.
Yes, it is very longggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.
lxo84Aw.png

Always wondered why it doesnt turn at Military Trail to Highland Creek Village on Old Kingston Rd for a stop? No point have a "Village" with retail and making it only for cars. The strip of Ellesmere that bypasses is all 2500-3500 sq' homes and would provide minimal time savings at best and the by-pass would still be available should something happen along this narrow stretch.

Last edited:
That is a wonderful idea to continue further on Kingston to serve the commercial area there, didn't think about that. The Ellesmere alignment probably was chosen for the directness and more pleasing to the Durham planners. If it was Toronto planners, well, they might have routed it down to Military Trail, but then again there are no condos there, so Toronto planners probably don't care lol.

That is a wonderful idea to continue further on Kingston to serve the commercial area there, didn't think about that. The Ellesmere alignment probably was chosen for the directness and more pleasing to the Durham planners. If it was Toronto planners, well, they might have routed it down to Military Trail, but then again there are no condos there, so Toronto planners probably don't care lol.

4-7 stories max I believe. And surely they could push the envelope with a transit stop.

The Metrolinx presentation on The Next Big Move, at this link, has shown very little new information on the Durham-Scarborough BRT. Anyone can provide more info or an update?

25221-87821.jpg

Not sure what or if an option has been decided for this stretch. But given Metrolinx silence here and the Citys latest transit map which includes future lines and shows nothing regarding the connection from SCC to UTSC here I question whether anyone is even taking this section serious.

The Province got to show some "action" in the 905 with the Durham section and subways where the votes were in greater Scarborough. With a few other higher priority lines still up in the air in Scarborough there Is likely no urgency or much interest from either side

scarb.jpg

Attachments

• scarb.jpg
    scarb.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 618

Back