News   Apr 25, 2024
 612     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 514     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 758     0 

Dundas St Rapid Transit (Metrolinx, Mississauga, Halton Region, CoT)

I figured someone would say that.

My point was that short turning at rush-hours same rolling infrastructure costs on new trains.

Short-turning during non-rush hour saves a bit of wear and tear and cost of a guard (no driver with auto train control). I am not sure if its worth the fight to save the few dollars.
I would rather just add 1 minute to the frequency on the entire line.

Even with the intense development happening north of Dundas in Oakville I just don't see Dundas becoming a transit heavy corridor so much so that BRT ROW lanes are justified... I do see an LRT east of Hurontario happening and then maybe MiWay bringing back its service to Oakville's Uptown Core Terminal from that point on

BRT and LRT are the choices. A no brainer.

The good news is that it has gotten cheaper for Mississauga. They can DEMAND that Toronto pays for the 3 km portion from Etobicoke creek to Kipling. And then express outrage that Toronto doesn't want to foot the bill for a Mississauga project. About 15-20% of the cost.

Oh wait. Vice versa and wrong street.

BRT and LRT are the choices. A no brainer.

The good news is that it has gotten cheaper for Mississauga. They can DEMAND that Toronto pays for the 3 km portion from Etobicoke creek to Kipling. And then express outrage that Toronto doesn't want to foot the bill for a Mississauga project. About 15-20% of the cost.

Oh wait. Vice versa and wrong street.

Perfect opportunity for a quid pro quo, perhaps.

re: the Report - got to love how high-rise didn't make it into the plans in areas that tend to be economically well off, relative to the rest of the city.

AoD

Last edited:
Perfect opportunity for a quid pro quo, perhaps.

re: the Report - got to love how high-rise didn't make it into the plans in areas that tend to be economically well off, relative to the rest of the city.

AoD
Well that Mississauga for you

Low density to midrise around major hub area is a total joke and continue to show cars still rule the city for growth as well people in power.

I am not sure where the New Land Use Policy by the Province is, but it call for higher density along transit corridors and this reports is going against it.

I can live with BRT east of Hurontario for now, but it will have to be upgraded to LRT within 20 years or less after the study is done and the planing of an BRT in its own ROW. Going west will be BRT in mix for a few decades until there is a need for an ROW since the ridership is not there years ago, let alone today. Halton is far down the road for a "TRUE" BRT for the next few decades or more.

Since Metrolinx is the main backer for funding this corridor, its going to look at the lowest cost system it can build for it since they don't believe in LRT in the first place.

W
I can live with BRT east of Hurontario for now, but it will have to be upgraded to LRT within 20 years or less after the study is done and the planing of an BRT in its own ROW. Going west will be BRT in mix for a few decades until there is a need for an ROW since the ridership is not there years ago, let alone today. Halton is far down the road for a "TRUE" BRT for the next few decades or more.

Since Metrolinx is the main backer for funding this corridor, its going to look at the lowest cost system it can build for it since they don't believe in LRT in the first place.

If/when RER is implemented at Cooksville GO it will relieve a lot of longer trips along Dundas. A lot of the service along Dundas will be local based, not long distance commuting.

If BRT is properly implemented (which I expect it will given the over-engineering along the 403) it will service the needs of the residents for well over 20 years. And remember BRT and LRT have the same capacity. It would be upgraded to a subway, not LRT in the future if demand warrants.

Even with the intense development happening north of Dundas in Oakville I just don't see Dundas becoming a transit heavy corridor so much so that BRT ROW lanes are justified... I do see an LRT east of Hurontario happening and then maybe MiWay bringing back its service to Oakville's Uptown Core Terminal from that point on
Agreed. The development of Dundas north of Oakville will not change much, if anything. It is all townhomes and detached, and most, if not all houses, will be 2 car households driving to and from work. I think the only higher density development than that in the design guidelines was mid-rise up to 5 storeys, and even that is minimal.

Not to mention that they just widened a huge stretch of Dundas in Oakville, and I don't see any bus-lanes. Likely won't see any changes to that for a long time.

Last edited:
Interesting. If the Dundas LRT goes through, what are the possibilities of interlining with Hurontario to provide a one-seat ride from Kipling to MCC?

It seems a little foolish to end the Subway option at Cooksville, but it would probably be better to build an elevated viaduct to bring a branch of the Milton line into MCC and have Subway-bound passengers transfer at Kipling.

Interlining with Hurontario can be interesting as that would mean double the frequency for Hurontario between Cooksville and MCC.

In the long run, that level of frequency and reliable travel can do wonders for land development trends.

RER and GO improve service is not going to do much to reduce ridership on Dundas as they are different service for everyone needs. The goal is to get more people to use transit and increase the density along the corridor

"IF" LRT does make it to Dundas, interlining is not in the picture as its supposed to be an operation issue. The number of cars on Dundas will be less than Hurontario as a train, but yes it can interline regardless what been said now.

People dreaming of having a subway on Dundas to Hurontario are dreaming with this report and it may happen when your great-great-great grandchild is born if density does increase by that time.

LRT and BRT only have the same capacity to a point, then LRT takes over to offer more. A BRT vehicle is only about 15 m long while an LRT can be 30-45 m as one car and can have a 2nd car added to it where an BRT can't.

The only way you can get BRT infrastructure to work for LRT is to have centre platforms with BRT vehicles with doors both sides. Again, do you need an ROW west of Hurontario to Burlington when ridership is not there now nor 20 years??

Back