Toronto Dundas Square Gardens | 156.05m | 50s | Gupta | IBI Group

"I started to write a longer post and wanted to say much more but decided to delete it because I do hope the area continues to improve and I want to be careful not to be unfairly negative."

No worries, I think your prejudice is distilled eloquently in just a few sentences.

No worries, I think your prejudice is distilled eloquently in just a few sentences.

I am prejudiced against thinking that having people in a community who wantonly neglect public property and the homes they live in is not conducive to a well functioning and cohesive neighbourhood. Do you think you've scored a point against me by pointing out I pointed that out?

There are so many bad areas that have turned into popular, trendy areas over the last decade or so. People use to avoid King West. Now you can't keep them away. The distillery/St. Lawrence Market area used to be a dump. Now look. Especially St. Lawrence Market.

There are so many bad areas that have turned into popular, trendy areas over the last decade or so. People use to avoid King West. Now you can't keep them away. The distillery/St. Lawrence Market area used to be a dump. Now look. Especially St. Lawrence Market.

I wonder, if King W and SLM were also bad, where did people hang out 10 years ago? The waterfron was definitely worse, and it is not like there is much to see north of Queen...
downtown Yonge and Queen W?

They didn't. The "poor" lived in the city (with a few enclaves in the annex and rose dale) while the "rich" lived in the suburbs. That has largely since switched.

I wonder, if King W and SLM were also bad, where did people hang out 10 years ago? The waterfron was definitely worse, and it is not like there is much to see north of Queen...
downtown Yonge and Queen W?

The club district which is extinct now (Queen/John) area. I remember 10+ years ago, we weren't hanging out on King West, that's for sure. There was nothing there. We were on Adelaide or Richmond. Crazy what has happened to all the clubs in that area.

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 2C2

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 249369 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: Nov 14, 2014

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res New Building

Description: Proposal to construct a 47 storey Mixed Use/Residential with Non Resident building. Building will include Commercial on the 1st storey, City Community Space on the 1st and 2nd storeys, 6 levels of Below Grade Parking and 960 Residential Units.

This must be a monster of a building. Seriously, 45 stories with 960 units, that's 21 units per floor!

This must be a monster of a building. Seriously, 45 stories with 960 units, that's 21 units per floor!

More people is good for the area and will dilute the demographics. I hope in a few years the junkies and homeless will feel uneasy lingering at Dundas/Jarvis, not the regular working taxpayers.

More people is good for the area and will dilute the demographics. I hope in a few years the junkies and homeless will feel uneasy lingering at Dundas/Jarvis, not the regular working taxpayers.

I am so tired of this disgusting attitude. The homeless are citizens just like us. But you will get your wish, of course.

I am so tired of this disgusting attitude. The homeless are citizens just like us.

You're throwing that anger in the wrong direction. If the gov't hadn't abandoned these people a long time ago to save money by deregulating govt-run institutions, the majority of these "problem" people would be locked up in mental institutions or prisons....where they best belong....not thrust upon the ill-equiped private sector who's job it isn't to look after them, and they are unable to look after themselves. And those religious organizations aren't exactly doing a bang-up job taking up the slack ("missions", et al.)

I live in Parkdale, where the failure of our govt in this area is too painfully obvious.

You're throwing that anger in the wrong direction. If the gov't hadn't abandoned these people a long time ago to save money by deregulating govt-run institutions, the majority of these "problem" people would be locked up in mental institutions or prisons....where they best belong....

I disagree. If they Government hadn't abandoned them--if that's true--the majority of them would be relatively stable, well-functioning members of society because they have the support systems in place to help them be autonomous.

The minority of them would be in prison or in mental health institutes, since it's only the minority who can't be helped without extreme measures like those. The rest are people like me and you, but with very different lives.

Off topic, but I think that's an important point.

Back