News   Mar 28, 2024
 344     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 698     0 

DT east neighbourhoods?

ksun

Member Bio
Reaction score
When I look at the Downtown Toronto neighbourhood map, I am surprised by how few real neighourhoods DT east (bound by Yonge and Parliament) has. I mean the west seem to have plenty, but aside from St Lawrence Market and C/W Village, there doesn't seem to be any. (Corktown, Regent Park and Cabbagetown are all east of Parliament and not strictly downtown, or in periphery DT.)

The entire area between Yonge and Parliament, which is huge doesn't seem to have any identity? Is Moss Park really a neighbourhood? Hardly.

Between Adelaid-a few blocks north of Carlton-Yonge-Parliament, there is no neighhourhood. North for the area north of Wellesley st. Doesn't Queen/Jarvis, or Church/Dundas belong to anything? Or Jarvis/Charles (where there is a lot of construction)?

On the other hand, the west side seems to have more interesting nabes (Chinatown, Kensington, King W/Entertaiment district, Baldwin village, Harbord Village etc all of which seem to have some characters.

Corktown, Regent Park and Cabbagetown are downtown neighbourhoods to everyone who isn't an urban fetishist windbag.

Corktown, Regent Park and Cabbagetown are downtown neighbourhoods to everyone who isn't an urban fetishist windbag.
I live in Cabbagetown, and when I'm going on a walk to the Eaton Centre or nearby I always say I'm walking downtown. Thus I must subconsciously at least believe that I am outside of it. Interesting....

When I look at the Downtown Toronto neighbourhood map, I am surprised by how few real neighourhoods DT east (bound by Yonge and Parliament) has. I mean the west seem to have plenty, but aside from St Lawrence Market and C/W Village, there doesn't seem to be any. (Corktown, Regent Park and Cabbagetown are all east of Parliament and not strictly downtown, or in periphery DT.)

The entire area between Yonge and Parliament, which is huge doesn't seem to have any identity? Is Moss Park really a neighbourhood? Hardly.

Between Adelaid-a few blocks north of Carlton-Yonge-Parliament, there is no neighhourhood. North for the area north of Wellesley st. Doesn't Queen/Jarvis, or Church/Dundas belong to anything? Or Jarvis/Charles (where there is a lot of construction)?

On the other hand, the west side seems to have more interesting nabes (Chinatown, Kensington, King W/Entertaiment district, Baldwin village, Harbord Village etc all of which seem to have some characters.

Hang on. Parliament is about 12 blocks and 1.2 km east of Yonge. Spadina is 1.4 km west of Yonge. Your comparing neighbourhoods that are further west, than your Parliament limit in the east.

To compare apples to apples, you need to look at what's between Beverly and Yonge. Not any of the areas you've named ... other than perhaps the King W Entertainment district ... and is that really a neighbourhood!?!?

Do we need this thread? As others have pointed out ... there's plenty of neighbourhoods.

nfitz beat me to it.

ksun, you're comparing districts as far west as Bathurst Street, which is almost 2.0 KM from Yonge.
relative similar distance east of Yonge would put one just west of Broadview Avenue.

* Church Village
* Garden District
* St. Jamestown
* Cabbagetown
* Regent Park
* Riverdale
* Moss Park
* St. Lawrence Market
* Corktown
* Distillery District
* Riverside
* future Bayside

Hang on. Parliament is about 12 blocks and 1.2 km east of Yonge. Spadina is 1.4 km west of Yonge. Your comparing neighbourhoods that are further west, than your Parliament limit in the east.

To compare apples to apples, you need to look at what's between Beverly and Yonge. Not any of the areas you've named ... other than perhaps the King W Entertainment district ... and is that really a neighbourhood!?!?

Do we need this thread? As others have pointed out ... there's plenty of neighbourhoods.

distance to university ave/Avenue road is more appropriate, not Yonge for the western part. The area between the subway lines is the core not belonging to any neighbourhood.

That's an arbitrary rule that you've invented. Also probably a surprise to the people living and working there that they don't belong to any neighbourhood.

Last edited:
distance to university ave/Avenue road is more appropriate, not Yonge for the western part. The area between the subway lines is the core not belonging to any neighbourhood.
Your just pulling this out of your imagination.

That's an arbitrary rule that you've invented. Also probably a surprise to the people living and working there that they don't belong to any neighbourhood.

ksun said:

According to the City of Toronto (surely an authority on this), downtown runs from Bathurst to the DVP, with Yonge St in the centre: http://www1.toronto.ca/static_files/CityPlanning/PDF/6_downtown_oct2009.pdf

According to the City of Toronto (surely an authority on this), downtown runs from Bathurst to the DVP, with Yonge St in the centre: http://www1.toronto.ca/static_files/CityPlanning/PDF/6_downtown_oct2009.pdf

I wasn't really speaking to the definition of downtown (you've highlighted the definition in the Official Plan - there are likely different definitions for different purposes). ksun is entitled to have his own view of what constitutes downtown, and others are entitled to agree or disagree (personally I have never heard anyone else use his definition). I was mainly just questioning his use of different boundaries as starting points, and his assumption that everything in between is some sort of black hole that doesn't form part or constitute any neighbourhood.

Back