News   Apr 19, 2024
 971     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 679     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

DRL routing. Where would you put it?

Where would you route the DRL between University and Yonge?

• North of Queen

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Queen Street

Votes: 64 37.6%
  • Richmond/Adelaide

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • King Street

Votes: 34 20.0%
  • Wellington Street

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Front Street

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Rail Corridor

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • South of the Rail Corridor

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
QQ gets pretty busy during the summer with all the tourists and people hanging out in the area. Subway is over kill I suppose but it does need an LRT with longer trains for the summer.

when you say summer, you mean three months of a year, while the rest 9 months, I don't know who don't live there would go. Not exactly a rationale for constructing a subway.
I agree with you that an LRT is in need.

It's the same reason you probably don't even want to run it as far south as Union, as then most of the users are north, rather than south, and really you should be going down the middle.

That's exactly what I am suggesting. To have the DRL somewhere between King and Queen is a no brainer, which is most likely to happen as well. It will be stupid to make Union a hub for the DRL. I don't know why people tend to anchor on the idea what anything constructed downtown, it has to go through Union Station. Union station is NOT centrally located, and can hardly compete with the King/Queen st, where people actually go as a final destination.

I didn't imply NO ONE will take the subway along anywhere south of Union station, but if an alternative route potentially has 4 times the ridership, I don't see any reason the line should be put south of the city core. The area between Front and Dundas is where people mostly go, no matter whether it is 20C or -20C outside, and no matter whether it is 9 am or 9pm . On the other hand, Queens Quay can never be an equal.

Last edited:
I find it amusing how much people get worked up about this question. It's actually further from Front St to the harbour than it is from Front to Queen. Yet, some people consider a Front street alignment as serving the waterfront, but say it's way too far away to serve Queen.

If I was at Queen and Spadina and the DRL ran along Front street, I would have an 8 minute walk to a station at Front and Spadina, compared to a 10 minute walk to Osgoode.

I find it amusing how much people get worked up about this question. It's actually further from Front St to the harbour than it is from Front to Queen. Yet, some people consider a Front street alignment as serving the waterfront, but say it's way too far away to serve Queen.

If I was at Queen and Spadina and the DRL ran along Front street, I would have an 8 minute walk to a station at Front and Spadina, compared to a 10 minute walk to Osgoode.

what are you talking about. If the DRL runs on Queen or Richmond, there will be a station at Queen or Richmond/Spadina, and you won't even have to walk from Queen/Spadina, will you?

I think his point is that a Front alignment would still be beneficial to King, Queen, etc. Though I would suggest that a Queen alignment is beneficial for Front, and the waterfront will be capably served by its own streetcars/LRT.

what are you talking about. If the DRL runs on Queen or Richmond, there will be a station at Queen or Richmond/Spadina, and you won't even have to walk from Queen/Spadina, will you?

Missed the "If ... the DRL ran along Front street" part?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/York_1804_Hale.jpg

This photo shows Front St fronting Lake Ontario shoreline in 1804. Of course through landfill Front St no longer fronts Lake Ontario, a new street - Queens Quay does now. So who is to say in another 100-150 years with more landfill, that there won't be further streets south of Queens Quay and more neighbourhoods, nevermind new businesses - meaning a subway at Front Street makes sense, unless of course you will hit water by digging that deep - kind scary

"So who is to say..."

The billions of dollars worth of lakefront real estate says that there will be no more landfill, or at least no more building development.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/York_1804_Hale.jpg

This photo shows Front St fronting Lake Ontario shoreline in 1804. Of course through landfill Front St no longer fronts Lake Ontario, a new street - Queens Quay does now. So who is to say in another 100-150 years with more landfill, that there won't be further streets south of Queens Quay and more neighbourhoods, nevermind new businesses - meaning a subway at Front Street makes sense, unless of course you will hit water by digging that deep - kind scary

Gotta source those kooky ideas for Unbuilt Toronto 3 from somewhere!

"So who is to say..."

The billions of dollars worth of lakefront real estate says that there will be no more landfill, or at least no more building development.

Not to mention a greater sensitivity to environmental impacts. The amount of environmental studies required to create new land would be enormous!

"So who is to say..."

I do not see billion dollars worth of lakefront real estate presently.

I do not see billion dollars worth of lakefront real estate presently.

me neither. lakefront is still not as desirable as the real downtown, or midtown.
I believe the Gardiner and the railtracks have permanently devalued any lakefront land.

me neither. lakefront is still not as desirable as the real downtown, or midtown.
I believe the Gardiner and the railtracks have permanently devalued any lakefront land.

Talk to the builders about that. Have you seen the crazy prices they're asking for pre-con? East Bayfront prices are starting at $700 psf and up. Ice was asking $550 psf starting in 2008. Tridel will probably be asking over $700 psf next year when it comes out. You make it sound like Yorkville is the only desirable area cuz it's asking at $1000 psf.

when you say summer, you mean three months of a year, while the rest 9 months, I don't know who don't live there would go. Not exactly a rationale for constructing a subway.
I agree with you that an LRT is in need.

When I mean summer, I mean spring/summer. It starts getting busy around May and slowly dies in late Sept. It peaks for 3 months when it's busy the whole day. The trains are worst when CNE opens. However the rest of the year the trains are busy during rush hours mostly.

Back