Toronto Dragon Condos | 37.49m | 10s | Ideal Developments | IBI Group

well easy for you to say but what will happen when those 55+ are dead or too old to walk in 15 years? Look at the new business in Chinatown. Nothing targets the old immigrants. The old ones are increasingly being replaced. The demographic is changing, of course the business model should too, otherswise they go broke.

Umm....70 year olds being too old to walk? You're hilarious.

What we're discussing is called aging in place in a walkable community and I think it is an ideal situation that the city should aim for. Those old people will keep walking and keep on going to stores in the neighbourhood. They also have community knowledge that is important for continuity of the community. We also know how important walking is to our health. We want to keep old people in the neighbourhood so they can stay physically healthy. At some point they will be too old to drive (if they did at all). Walking keeps them out and about and the social bonds they have with people at the businesses in their neighbourhood will keep them mentally healthy too. It makes for a strong community - everyone is looking out for each other.

I have no doubt that mall will be overhauled at some point, but older buildings in the neighbourhood with (what I presume) affordable commercial rents are what help keep the place vibrant. It is good to have new buildings like Dragon condo (gotta keep this on topic) injected into the neighbourhood because it provides for different retail to help maintain a diverse balance of commercial and residential options. Some businesses need new spaces. That's fine. Some businesses need old spaces for different clientele. That's fine too. They can work together.

Spadina's already turning into the new Queen West. Add another 10,000 residents and it'll become a trendy restaurant row unaffordable to its aging current demographic. Kensington Market will become just another boring outdoor shopping mall--maybe it's already really the new Yorkville?--with midrises housing yuppie condoKIDS.

I hardly even call Queen West "trendy".

Umm....70 year olds being too old to walk? You're hilarious.

What we're discussing is called aging in place in a walkable community and I think it is an ideal situation that the city should aim for. Those old people will keep walking and keep on going to stores in the neighbourhood. They also have community knowledge that is important for continuity of the community. We also know how important walking is to our health. We want to keep old people in the neighbourhood so they can stay physically healthy. At some point they will be too old to drive (if they did at all). Walking keeps them out and about and the social bonds they have with people at the businesses in their neighbourhood will keep them mentally healthy too. It makes for a strong community - everyone is looking out for each other.

I have no doubt that mall will be overhauled at some point, but older buildings in the neighbourhood with (what I presume) affordable commercial rents are what help keep the place vibrant. It is good to have new buildings like Dragon condo (gotta keep this on topic) injected into the neighbourhood because it provides for different retail to help maintain a diverse balance of commercial and residential options. Some businesses need new spaces. That's fine. Some businesses need old spaces for different clientele. That's fine too. They can work together.

All true but it is also true that the older population are less likely to go out that often, and the spend less - two things most retail rely on.
The fact is, like Yonge st, rent on Spadina will rise and soon those business which targets low income seniors are bound to struggle. That's a reality no wishful thinking like. Yours can change. Plus I am sure even the old generation prefers a nicer mall to shop. Who wouldn't?

Honestly I think in 20 years Chinatown will be greatly reduced, if there at all.

Earlier today:

IMG_8305.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8305.jpg
    IMG_8305.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 1,597
Honestly I think in 20 years Chinatown will be greatly reduced, if there at all.

Will it? There doesn't appear to be any Chinatown that has greatly reduced in North America. In Manhattan, they are constantly expanding at the expense of Little Italy. In Toronto, at least to me, it is transforming in terms of old fashioned stores being replaced with new concept retail (more to the young generation's taste).

There is a possibility that Chinatown might not be that "Chinese" any more because the Chinese/Asian retail is more widely spread over downtown that a Chinatown might not be necessary. On Dundas/Bay and Yonge/Carlton, I found two Chatime places with 95% Chinese/Taiwanese clientele.

Back