News   Apr 19, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9K     2 

Downtown Mississauga Master Plan

Main Street Mississauga

Simple yet brilliant concept: creation of a new "Main Street District" to form an urban and green heart for Downtown Mississauga.

I love the new Main Street with no curbs, along with the new commons park and farmer’s market building.

The narrowing of Burnhamthorpe Road from 6 lanes to 4, with raised intersections for accessible pedestrian crossings and bike lanes on the "safe" side of the road.

City Centre Drive and Webb Drive will also be narrowed, greened and urbanized.

Louroz

Very nice plan! hopefully they can make it happen.....:)

So they do plan on extending Webb Drive to Kariya!
There are a ton of new streets! Very sweet.
And Burnhamthorpe having LRT! (Unless that's just the Hurontario LRT)

Last edited:
Finally, someone in Mississauga seems to understand that it's going to take more than a bunch of highrise condos to create an urban core. I'm sceptical but I hope this can be implemented and it works out.

It's about time Webb and Kariya join the rest of the network--traffic didn't flow well in either area. Overall the plan looks good, and if it really happens will improve MCC in a big way.

It is indeed a very nice plan. Question Louroz: Is the new road forming the "Main Street District" actually going to be called "Main Street"? We already have a "Main Street" in Streetsville. I suppose it could just take the Bristol Rd or Pearl St moniker.

I wonder when this will be finished. Hopefully in 20 years at least.

And does anyone know when they plan to include an LRT route in Mississauga?

Working Name and Timeline

CC: It probably won't be called Mainstreet District. That's just the working title it was given.

As for the time frame, they have a mandate to complete the district in 8 years. The city is working with various land owners in the new district to kick start projects. The city will begin the process by building a new office block for city staff, new parking garages and the farmer's market building.

Louroz

As for the time frame, they have a mandate to complete the district in 8 years. The city is working with various land owners in the new district to kick start projects. The city will begin the process by building a new office block for city staff, new parking garages and the farmer's market building.

Louroz

Louroz: Really? This is good news. I had thought the City wouldn't build anything further here, after they took over the old Consumers Gas building a few years ago.

Where will this new office building go? On the site east of the library?

Edit: The farmers market does need a building. That will be a major improvement. Hope a decent cafe will be included.

Last edited:
CC: It probably won't be called Mainstreet District. That's just the working title it was given.

Louroz

8 years seems like nothing seeing as the Vaughan Corporate Center won't be complete until 2031. So that's good news.

Louroz I was referring more to the actual street they'll be building there. Whether itll be called Main Street. That kind of name wouldn't really match with the character of the streetnames in MCC though (Burnhamthorpe Rd, Rathburn Rd, Prince of Wales Dr, Princess Royal Dr, Duke of York Blvd, City Centre Dr, Living Arts Dr, Station Gate Rd, Confederation Pkwy, Square One Dr, Centre View Dr.

Our street names are rather practical/uninspiring for the most part. But I like Duke of York, Princess Royal and Prince of Wales.

Back