News   Mar 28, 2024
 28     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 209     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Downtown Markham

very promising so far! thanks for the pictures! but why no Hwy 7 in that map? its totally relevant! its like they'd have you believe there wasn't a major regional roadway at the top of that map.

also, dont mean to shit on anyone's parade, but that street grid is deplorable. only five entrances into a bustling area? they're joking.
what i mean to say,
is that despite the attempt at urbanity through density and clustering, whoever drew up this plan forgot about the most important aspect of urbanity, the street, and street connectivity to draw people from around to walk through for safety and commercial reasons. It is still very insular, and although gigantic and multi-use, still very typically suburban (in a bad way) by not addressing the growing region around the site. very insular and inward looking. back to the drawing table? or back to planning school for some, i guess.

Last edited:
Interim above ground parking is never a good sign but understandable.

Remington have finally updated the Downtown Markham website: http://downtownmarkham.ca/

I noticed a few new things, like the phasing of the retail, the "first solar powered fine art carousel in the world," "your very own outdoor
museum," Street Art Wall (graffiti art), and the fact that the GTA Centre is mentioned everywhere.

What's the next residential phase, it seems like nothing is being marketed currently ?

I assume they are waiting for the arena to start construction before launching any more residential since they will jack up the prices. Plus, I'd imagine with the first phase of the retail under construction now and the arena set to start (hopefully) by the end of the summer, they're pretty busy at the moment.

I think the next phase will be part of the same complex as the Marriott.

I assume they are waiting for the arena to start construction before launching any more residential since they will jack up the prices. Plus, I'd imagine with the first phase of the retail under construction now and the arena set to start (hopefully) by the end of the summer, they're pretty busy at the moment.

I think the next phase will be part of the same complex as the Marriott.

Yep that makes sense.

On Twitter, Downtown Markham mentioned three restaurants as "favourites," so I guess we should assume they might be on the way? The restaurants are Texas De Brazil, Earls, and the Cheesecake Factory. These would certainly be "crowd drawers" to start things going.

Wow ... cheese cake factory will be a huge draw

Ahh wait wait ... they were just asking people for a what their favorites were ! Also mentioned Uniqlo among other things.
No ?

I.e. just earlier was this post:
Excited to work w/ new retailers in DT Markham! Our followers want to see @Balzacs @lululemon @UniqloUSA & @felixnorton_gta in the area!

Actually later they responded to someone asking for confirmation:
@markham_moms: @robterhune Could be! We are looking forward to announcing some delicious restaurants in Downtown Markham!

Last edited:
I love the post by someone saying there should be a lot of parking.

Instead of pushing the "urban" theme they responded with a "don't worry there will be lots of above ground and underground parking" ... way to go ...

I didn't notice the one with @Balzacs @lululemon @UniqloUSA & @felixnorton_gta. I'd assume they have signed on or it would be pretty strange of Remington to be throwing their names around, wouldn't it? None of these would be a stretch at any rate, aside from maybe Uniqlo USA(?). As you mentioned, getting a Cheesecake factory (first in Canada?) would be a pretty big coup though, same with Texas De Brazil. Earls wouldn't hurt either, but they're starting to open up all over.

I didn't notice the one with @Balzacs @lululemon @UniqloUSA & @felixnorton_gta. I'd assume they have signed on or it would be pretty strange of Remington to be throwing their names around, wouldn't it? None of these would be a stretch at any rate, aside from maybe Uniqlo USA(?). As you mentioned, getting a Cheesecake factory (first in Canada?) would be a pretty big coup though, same with Texas De Brazil. Earls wouldn't hurt either, but they're starting to open up all over.

No those names were thrown out by others, they asked "what retailers" will you like to see. They only mentioned the 3 you said, or really just that they were a fan of them. You're right I wouldn't be suprised if those 3 are in.

I've heard Texas D'Brazil was looking for a location in Canada for a while.

Yes this would be the first Chease cake factory, at least in Ontario.

Back