News   Apr 19, 2024
 478     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.6K     2 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

huh. For some reason I thought I remembered that being a No Frills. And recently too. Not that I am exactly super familiar with the area. I've parked in the plaza once to check my phone I think, and that is it.
It was a Top Foods grocery store until recently. I recall it sitting empty for a while prior to Top Foods, but can't remember what store was there before.

Galleria Supermarket has also opened at 351 Bloor St W.

GTFFgOJr.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03005.jpg
    DSC03005.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 611
Ok....so this is slightly OT in that it's a general grocery retail comment not tied to downtown, and not about real estate/development.

But I thought it kinda/sorta fit here.

Does anyone understand the mentality of national grocers when they introduce exotic/luxury products and provide them next to no support?

This seems to me to be a universal thing.

Wild mushrooms, Sea Asparagus, wild game, instore-cooked deli meats, high-end olive oils...etc. etc.

They almost always appear w/no fanfare...not even a 'NEW' sticker on the shelf, no flyer space, no recipe cards or explanation as to why someone would
spend $$$ on this product.

Invariably, most fail.

Irrespective of product quality.

Because those who know about a certain type/quality of product and care, already have a source; and aren't looking for it in a big chain.

While those who don't know about it ask themselves why you would pay between 2 and 10x what you do a competing/alternative product..........and mostly opt not to buy, seeing as no reason is given to them to do anything different.

It just seems rather self-defeating to me to market (or not) this way.

Sorry to be so pedestrian about this, but got an example or two? I'm feeling like I haven't been paying enough attenion…

Sorry to be so pedestrian about this, but got an example or two? I'm feeling like I haven't been paying enough attenion…

This for me?

If so.........

I'm thinking of the exotic wild mushrooms they tried to sell when Loblaws Maple Leaf Gardens first opened. That was great, nice handy place to find them other than farmer's markets, or Harvest Wagon.

But you know, they didn't have them labelled more than 1/2 the time. So you had to know what you were looking at. Easy for a 'foodie' w/morels, chanterelles etc. Though may still be confusing to someone who hasn't tried those before, and wonders why on earth you would pay $90 per kg for mushrooms.

But, they even carried varieties I couldn't ID, I needed my field guide! They weren't listed in the produce book and their staff had no idea either!

Rather important, as the variety will dictate what you can do with them.

At the same time, they didn't put down any suggested uses or recipe cards. I think it would make a world of difference if you told someone, just add 100 grams of morels, for $9 to a saute pan w/some shallot, lightly caramelize, w/butter and olive oil, add garlic, de-glaze w/dry white wine......cook it out for 2-5 minutes, add cream and it's sensational as a pasta sauce; use red wine w/some cracked pepper and a hint of dijon and it will make the most wonderful sauce for steak.

But they can't be bothered.

So shockingly (sarcasm alert) most people don't try them.

They also don't use their in-store chef program to showcase the product w/samples.

Same thing w/ Sea Asparagus (aka Sea Beans). Most people have no idea what they are, how to cook them, what they taste like, how long they last, how to store them etc etc.

Then the store seems surprised that the few of us who know the product, and already had a farmer's market source, aren't sufficient to generate sales.

What brought the rant on was 2 other things.

High-end Olive oil.

The kind most folks would only buy as a gift or a bread-dipper for when company is coming over.

Lots of great product out there.

But many of the brands are not known widely, and don't have tasting notes on the bottles.

Aside from educating folks that this is not the olive oil you buy to cook with; they really need to put out there whether it has the peppery or the fruity finish. Most folks have a preference.

Who wants to bring home a $22 bottle of olive oil and taste it and be unhappy.

The other thing was I've notice supermarkets playing around v/vac - packed game meats. (venison, elk, bison etc.)

But first thing I notice, as a foodie, is that they don't list the cut.

They medallion-ized everything and priced it $15.

A bargain if you've given me tenderloin, reasonable-ish if you gave me sirloin, a fleece job if you've given me eye of the round.

Also important as it changes how you cook it.

(shakes head).

Again though, I'm the exception in that I know how to cook w/these products. If you want to reach a larger audience, customer education is critical.

What does it taste like? What does it go with? How do you cook it?

None of that info at point of sale.

You need to tell people; Bison, treat like beef, but leaner, super important to not over-cook, rarely if ever past medium rare. Brilliant Grilled, or sous-vide. (sear first)

You need to tell people Elk; makes great rich-stew, cube, sear-off, braise w/red wine, juniper berries, beef stock, and fresh porcini mushrooms (or shitakes).

You need to tell people Sea-Aspargus is also called Sea-Beans, tastes quite salty, can be eaten raw, or flash-fried, nice crunch, good addition to salad or counter-balancing a slightly sweet or mild main dish.

Instead you get next to no useful info. No education.

After a 3-month trial, you get no product either.

Back to the boring usual.

Sigh

Amazing answer! Proper labelling is a constant problem with new products, especially the less-processed or unprocessed ones (meat, veg), and yes, there's a world of ingredients out there that would sell better if more of us knew what to do with them! I was just hanging at another Loblaws in the last week with a couple of other UT types, and we were noting how many products simply don't even have price tags, let alone there might be recipe or serving idea cards anywhere… they are missing huge opportunities for sales by not taking the time to inspire and instruct their customers.

Amazing answer!

Thank You.

Not to over extend this rant, but I was in a Loblaws a few weeks ago that sells the Wagyu Steaks.

If you're familiar w/these, they are some of the most expensive beef you can buy (only a rare indulgence for me) .

(this is beef this is typically over 50% fat, but its all really fine grained so it melts into the meat as you cook it), the steak often appears white'ish. It makes for super rich and moist steak.

At any rate......I was talking to one of their butcher staff, he was telling me they bin 2/3 of it, and lose a noticable % to theft. He would be surprised if they sold a pkg a day.

What a disgusting waste of meat; never mind meat that retails for maybe $95 for a striploin.

But I noted to him, they had never demo'd it.......and didn't even have information explaining what Wagyu was, or why it might be worth it to you as a treat.

No wonder, even well-monied folks take a pass. (I have to more often than not, LOL).

This is a product that should only be put out on the weekends; and has to be showcased to explain to people what's special about it and why its so pricey.

Of course, one reason it's so pricey is that they throw so much of it out.

Never occurred to them to try offering it a better price, either.

Sigh.

At the Bloor St. Market, in Manulife Centre, I was surprised to see a better selection of "high-end", mostly non-perishable items than at the MLG Loblaws, though sometimes you have to be on the lookout to catch them when they arrive. They have a large selection of Italian canned tomatoes, for example, a large array of olive oils, the best Thai curry pastes and, this week they had fresh ground lamb from Québec. Although some client education might be useful there as well, it is an incredibly busy store and there is no space whatsoever for demonstrations. I suppose they rely on people to notice the products and look them up on the web. I recall Longo's being much better at this back in the day, at their York Mills store for example, where I once tried fresh almonds and dates.

H-Mart is opening in the former American Apparel space on Yonge north of Dundas. So many Korean grocers opening downtown recently!

Thank You.

Not to over extend this rant, but I was in a Loblaws a few weeks ago that sells the Wagyu Steaks.

If you're familiar w/these, they are some of the most expensive beef you can buy (only a rare indulgence for me) .

(this is beef this is typically over 50% fat, but its all really fine grained so it melts into the meat as you cook it), the steak often appears white'ish. It makes for super rich and moist steak.

At any rate......I was talking to one of their butcher staff, he was telling me they bin 2/3 of it, and lose a noticable % to theft. He would be surprised if they sold a pkg a day.

What a disgusting waste of meat; never mind meat that retails for maybe $95 for a striploin.

But I noted to him, they had never demo'd it.......and didn't even have information explaining what Wagyu was, or why it might be worth it to you as a treat.

No wonder, even well-monied folks take a pass. (I have to more often than not, LOL).

This is a product that should only be put out on the weekends; and has to be showcased to explain to people what's special about it and why its so pricey.

Of course, one reason it's so pricey is that they throw so much of it out.

Never occurred to them to try offering it a better price, either.

Sigh.
I recently found Wagyu mislabeled as Canadian Prime at MLG...it was incredible, and at $50/kg it was a steal! I wouldn't pay the usual $200/kg for it, but I always keep an eye out for when it's mislabeled so that I can stock up.

I remember Costco used to have Australian Wagyu for $60/kg and I'd buy it quite often. Too bad that's not available anymore.

Back