News   Mar 18, 2024
 778     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.6K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 774     0 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

looking forward to this- finally a grocery store nearby... so we won't have to venture out too far, and lug around heavy bags.
will check it out this Friday.

but.. have to say, am disappointed it is only 8,000 sqf "city market format" and not a full store..
I really think this Loblaws should have been in the chapters store on John st and not Michael's..
what a missed opportunity...
hoping this store exceeds my expectations..

Agreed. The area is in desperate need for a real grocery store. I was at the opening today. It's really cramped. Long and narrow. Better than nothing I guess.

Agreed. The area is in desperate need for a real grocery store. I was at the opening today. It's really cramped. Long and narrow. Better than nothing I guess.

I know. it was really cramped..
with all these condo's here, I am hoping a major chain- proper store will open up - there is more than enough sufficient retail space ground level on some of these condos' - much bigger
they would be silly not to open something.. with the demand soo big-- ( with Loblaws- out of the question-- cause of(City Market) now here- ) hello Metro-- hello Sobey's.. / FreshCo/ ???
it really is a pain having to plot out grocery trips- - if one was close, could go there every day, and not go crazy once a week, and stock up.
I know myself, and others living in this area, venture out to Loblaws, Metro and Sobey's ( Yonge+College) every week, based on what sales there are- and carry everything back via ttc.
with such busy lives, it really becomes increasingly stressful and time consuming. the cost of living is high- have to be wise- so you gotta do what you gotta do

isn't there a metro below metro hall? I admit i've never been in it, but its got to be at least a bit large than the city markets that Loblaws has been opening recently.

I don't think so. I'm not aware of a Metro in the Financial District.

There's definitely no grocery stores in Metro Hall. In fact, in the entire legitimate PATH there's only Longos, one of which isn't even a real grocery store.

The closest Metro to the financial district in the one at Front and Jarvis. But with Metro's insane prices I would never bother with it.

isn't there a metro below metro hall? I admit i've never been in it, but its got to be at least a bit large than the city markets that Loblaws has been opening recently.
It's not called Metro Hall because of the Metro grocery chain, it's named after/for the (former) Metro Toronto. Not a Metro grocery or any other there.

Hmm I'm aware of its name. I thought I remember seeing it there once when googling grocery store locations, my bad.

In terms of path accessible grocery stores there is the Kitchen table in the Atrium and the Metro at college park. (Though that isn't the main path system)

There actually is a greengrocer in the Metro Hall PATH. It's called "Metro Centre Marketplace" and it's next to the Bell store.

There's also a full Longos store under Maple Leaf Square.

And McEwan in the TD Centre PATH.

Last edited:
What downtown needs is a decent No Frills.

With great respect; I do believe that's a contradiction in terms.

That's like saying 'a decent Walmart'.

No such thing.

That said, I'm all for people have cheap options for groceries.

There are 3 No Frills on the east side of downtown. Two of them relatively new.

Were you just hoping they'd replace Parliament st? Or that they'd add one on the west side?

With great respect; I do believe that's a contradiction in terms.

That's like saying 'a decent Walmart'.

No such thing.

Sure there is. Comparing the new No Frills on Bloor East to the one at St. Clair East and Victoria Park, and yes, one is quite decent and the other much less so.

One can be a discount retail store and still be decent. And not all No Frills are dumpy.

ETA: BlogTO even did a rundown in 2014 of the best and worst No Frills in Toronto.

For PinkLucy: "Clean, efficient, and well stocked, Luciano's No Frills on Front has won over the neighbourhood. The produce is fresh, the aisles wide and organized, and items are consistently less expensive than nearby competitors. Staff are friendly and helpful and the cashier line-ups bearable. With all this, they might consider changing the name to 'Lucky Luciano's Plenty of Frills.'"

Exactly. I work across from the St Clair W No Frills (east of Oakwood), and it's awful for both selection and lineups. I detour my bike rides home to hit up either the Dufferin Mall or Dundas/Lansdowne locations even if this adds 20+ min to my commute home downtown.

Back