News   Apr 19, 2024
 245     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 924     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.5K     2 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

That's out of date, at least in relation to the Whole Foods at Front and Bathurst

I think Whole Foods is still expected to be part of the big Streetcar development at Queen & Broadview.

Corktown residents are also pushing for a grocery store in either of the large Streetcar condo retail spaces recently vacated by car dealerships at King & Sumach and King & St Lawrence.

The fairly brand-new Shoppers Drug Mart in Market Wharf is renovating, which I suspect might be an expansion of the already-large grocery section. Loblaws might be getting the jump on Metro, which is going through a big renovation/rebranding. More groceries in the area would be welcome, because the St Lawrence Market is useless after 6pm.

I put this map together when I was looking for a place to live. I think I got most of the major chains and a few independent places where I shop occasionally. I didn't bother with the smaller stores like Rabba, Kitchen Table, etc., mostly because I'm lazy.

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 11.23.25 AM.png

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zdWdSdnaZ3uY.komUKQjU9xNo&usp=sharing

Maybe it'll be useful for someone else.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 11.23.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 11.23.25 AM.png
    796.3 KB · Views: 1,718
I put this map together when I was looking for a place to live. I think I got most of the major chains and a few independent places where I shop occasionally. I didn't bother with the smaller stores like Rabba, Kitchen Table, etc., mostly because I'm lazy.

View attachment 53057

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zdWdSdnaZ3uY.komUKQjU9xNo&usp=sharing

Maybe it'll be useful for someone else.

Bloor Street Market in the Manulife Centre is missing. It's actually quite a good supermarket.

Corktown residents are also pushing for a grocery store in either of the large Streetcar condo retail spaces recently vacated by car dealerships at King & Sumach and King & St Lawrence.

The one at King & Sumach is going to be a Lincoln dealership.

Does anyone know what is going on with the proposed Metro location at Queen & Gladstone? The developer (Streetcar) advertised that Metro was moving into the building when they were selling units but now I notice that there is a for lease sign in the storefront window for space from 3500 to 10,000 sqft. Does this mean Metro is out?

The Loblaws(ish thing) at Peter and Richmond appears as if it might be opening fairly imminently. Peeking around the paper on the windows reveals unmistakeably Loblawsy interior finishes more or less complete, and even some products on the shelves. All it's missing is a "Grand Opening such-and-such date" banner.

looking forward to this- finally a grocery store nearby... so we won't have to venture out too far, and lug around heavy bags.
will check it out this Friday.

but.. have to say, am disappointed it is only 8,000 sqf "city market format" and not a full store..
I really think this Loblaws should have been in the chapters store on John st and not Michael's..
what a missed opportunity...
hoping this store exceeds my expectations..

@JasonParis
soo true... and when it was announced that there would be a Michaels occupying that spot- I found it to be a really bizarre choice.
especially that there is the "Fashion District" just a few blocks down filled with credible garment making/ accessories /crafts stores, and is the go-to area for purchasing these items.for loyal customers who know quality.
and want to support that area-
-and also, Michaels sell items, that are ridiculously overpriced, - funny enough-you can get the same stuff at Dollar stores,
it really is an unnecessary location, no wonder it has deadened the corner-

so I just went to the new City Independent "Loblaws" at 111 Peter St - grand opening was today..
had to check it out--
and I found it exactly what I thought it would be.. I know this is only the 1st day- so I will give this a chance..
but from my observations today,
Con's-- as expected..isn't a "Real" Loblaws major grocery store, - as in Queen +Portland is.. ( I always go to that one)- so it is really small- and crammed in
and some items are higher in price ( more than Loblaws).. due to the central location.. - there are odd sales here and there- (to be fair-- it is the first day, so this will change I am sure- )
and I don't want to come off all judgy--

the PRO'S- it is good that there is something like this nearby- another option, for grocery items- other than the Shoppers/Rexall/Rabba within this area.
produce section is great, they have a bakery- fresh breads etc.. and fresh donuts- much better than Tim's-- and typical grocery items-- great if you need something and don't want to travel far.

it is a welcome addition to this area, and I am sure it will do well..
and I will be a frequent customer- whenever I don't feel like going to Loblaws at Q+P..
but to be honest- I would rather go to Loblaws any chance I can get.- but this will do I guess.

Last edited:

Back