News   Apr 24, 2024
 613     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 829     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 547     0 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

That new No Thrills is pretty awful--unless your idea of grocery shopping is bargain basement junk food--processed, canned, frozen etc or big name brands. I wasted my time there looking for basics like lactose free skim milk in bags, dairy-free bread etc. The No Frills in Bloor West Village is better thanks to its more-demanding clientele.

Within the grocery retail business at either conventional stores (e.g. Loblaws, Metro or Sobeys) or discount stores (e.g. No Frills, Food Basics or Freshco), items like lactose free skim milk in bags and dairy-free bread would not be considered "basics" due to their relatively niche consumer appeal, low movement relative to other items & shrinkage potential due to slow sales & code date expiry issues. They would only be carried in markets with specific & decent consumer demand.

I am not debating the merits of any of these products but the proposition of a discount grocery store like No Frills is to sell the items that are purchased most frequently by most customers at a lower price than you would pay at a conventional grocery store. Part of how they achieve their lower retail pricing is through simplifying store operations through a limited assortment.

Within the grocery retail business at either conventional stores (e.g. Loblaws, Metro or Sobeys) or discount stores (e.g. No Frills, Food Basics or Freshco), items like lactose free skim milk in bags and dairy-free bread would not be considered "basics" due to their relatively niche consumer appeal, low movement relative to other items & shrinkage potential due to slow sales & code date expiry issues. They would only be carried in markets with specific & decent consumer demand.

I am not debating the merits of any of these products but the proposition of a discount grocery store like No Frills is to sell the items that are purchased most frequently by most customers at a lower price than you would pay at a conventional grocery store. Part of how they achieve their lower retail pricing is through simplifying store operations through a limited assortment.

Holy! I didn't know lactose-free milk existed in bags. I've never seen them!

Yea, I cant imagine demand for something like lactose-free milk in bags is high enough to warrant many grocery stores from carrying it, especially a general grocery store. I mean, I can barely get through a carton of the stuff before it goes bad. Unless I suddenly start a family, I have no reason for bags... and even then, why would I buy it for the whole family when I am the lactose intolerant one?

Yea, I cant imagine demand for something like lactose-free milk in bags is high enough to warrant many grocery stores from carrying it, especially a general grocery store. I mean, I can barely get through a carton of the stuff before it goes bad. Unless I suddenly start a family, I have no reason for bags... and even then, why would I buy it for the whole family when I am the lactose intolerant one?
Many Asian and African people are lactose intolerant. So it's incredibly possible for an entire family to be intolerant.
Also, lactose free milk typically has a longer shelf life than regular milk.

Many Asian and African people are lactose intolerant. So it's incredibly possible for an entire family to be intolerant.

True, but bagged lactose-free milk is still a rare sight for me. I think most people tend to buy two 2L cartons. I have, however, seen ORGANIC milk in bags (Organic Meadow). I prefer glass bottles.

No doubt about that... but in that case, milk isn't a staple in their diets to begin with. They would not be purchasing large quantities of milk, lactose-free or not.

No doubt about that... but in that case, milk isn't a staple in their diets to begin with. They would not be purchasing large quantities of milk, lactose-free or not.

Not if you were raised in Canada. Many people do not develop intolerance until they are older or have varying degrees of intolerance. I know people who can drink the equivalent of one glass a day, others who can eat butter, cheese and yogurt (and perhaps condensed/evaporated milk, since Hong Kong milk tea and Vietnamese coffee both use it) while they need lactose-free milk in their lattes.

Metro at Bloor & Spadina is great for those that like buying larger quantities of lactose-free milk, skim included :) Buy the bag it's worth it.:) I mostly use it for coffee, hot chocolate and cereal. I probably drink 1.5 bags per week--about $15 worth.

I noticed the other day they now carry an organic lactose free milk--cartons. Pity the expiry date is rather soonish.

Bulk Barn is opening soon at King and Spadina. The condo kids will love it.

Last edited:
Anybody know of the fate of Loblaw's former Nutshell space on King and Brant? The concept store was aborted before it could open but the space remains empty which I think indicates that they didn't unload the property. Rent at that location can't be cheap. Loblaws must be planning something? Any word on what?

Is it just me or are the smaller grocery stores downtown beginning to cut down on brands and focusing on their own stuff? The Sobey's Urban Fresh on Bay/College, for example, carries mostly Compliments and maybe one other brand (they used to, for example, have Nature's Path waffles in the freezer, but not anymore. It's either Compliments or Eggo, at least at last check). Longo's Market on Bloor and Park is a bit better, but I mostly go there for produce anyway. Bloor Market at the Manulife Centre seems to have cut down as well - I like Silk almond milk (they don't have carrageenan!) in shelf stable cartons, but they have NOT had unsweetened versions in stock for at least two weeks (I don't drink enough of it to buy the 2 L cartons). Even Whole Foods at Hazelton Lanes seems to be cutting - and they're not THAT small (okay, it's more miniscule compared to Yonge/Sheppard or the 905 locations, but you know what I mean). :(

Last edited:
I haven't noticed Whole Foods cutting the range of brands it carries. The Yorkville store isn't "minuscule" - it's roughly the same size as the others, or slightly smaller. It's40000 sq ft, as is Unionville. Yonge and Sheppard is 45000 sq ft, Oakville is 43000 sq ft. I see references to Mississauga being 40000 or 45000. Bayview, on the other hand, when it opens will be approximately 50000 sq ft.

I've always found that Loblaws, except for its larger stores like MLG, has fewer SKUs on the shelves from other producers, presumably to accommodate PC and No Name.

A small urban sized Loblaws or an affiliate is opening in King West (at Brant) this Spring.

N0Po1kg.png

Last edited:
Well this doesn't shed any light on what they are actually planning, but my gut tells me it's something like what they've done at DNA3 down the street....see building permit entry below:

Capture2.JPG

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 713
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. It's what I expected they would do. Nutshell was to be a Shoppers Drugmart competitor until Loblaws bought them out. It's not too surprising that it'll become a Shoppers instead.

This may turn out to be an experimental Shoppers test bed. There was talk about introducing fresh produce. I expect this will be the place to trial it.

Still, I'm kind of baffled at the amount of Shoppers Drugmart in a 5 minute walking radius from my place. East a couple of blocks, there's a Shoppers at King and Peter. West past Bathurst there's one at Tecumseh and further a little more, one at Strachan. North a couple of blocks there's one at Queen and Bathurst. Now there'll be one downstairs from me. I guess I'll never run out of pharmacies and places to buy toilet paper.

Back