News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 696     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Do you, as a Torontonian, have more ties/connection to Eastern Canada or Western Canada?

East or West?

• Eastern Canada

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Western Canada

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Both equally, or neither equally.

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
I guess this is like the thread about the connections to eastern or southwestern Ontario, but being extended and asked about the country as a whole.

Eastern Canada in terms of Atlantic Canada doesn't seem to have that much in the way of ties to Toronto specifically, though I have met quite a few Maritimers at some point or another in the city. The ties with Montreal loom large in one period of the city's history at least, because of the whole switch-over as second largest Canadian city thing, but many people have mentioned that Anglo-Montrealers that moved to Toronto weren't that big of a population.

On the western front, I do know Torontonians who have connections to cities like Vancouver, Calgary, and Winnipeg, whether it was family ties, or people who were moving to or from there at some point in their life. There are people who moved to Alberta too back when oil made it "worth it". But again, like the Anglo-Montrealers who moved purportedly for business reasons, Ontarians-turned-Albertans or vice versa for business reasons probably aren't that big of a population either.

How about you? Do you have greater links, in terms of family or having spent more time in the East or West of this country?

For me, it's the East. I had family who lived in the Maritimes before I was born and also, I travelled to Montreal more than any place west of Ontario when I was growing up. As an adult though, I have spent time in most of the Canadian large cities in both the east and west, though sometimes only briefly.

West on my side. I have an uncle who lives with his family in Alberta and a distant cousin in Vancouver. My husband's family is mostly in Montreal (and Ottawa). We also have relatives in Toronto.

Back