News   Apr 24, 2024
 152     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 478     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 3K     7 

Distillery District

so far, so good -- the crowds haven't felt as oppressive as they have in recent years. The music the first week seemed to be louder than usual, but its been turned down. I think that between the weekend fee, other events, reputation for overcrowding and the crappy weather that people aren't rushing in like they used to. Food remains lacklustre, and there seems to be more booze.

I can't speak to the traffic and usual car chaos - the spotty work on the water main is still having an effect from what I can tell. Looking around though - I don't think there's ever been more parking available, what with the massive lot on the other side of Cherry st. It's a shame that so few of the businesses in Canary District are up and running to take advantage of the traffic passing through.

Read on the website for Tappo Wine Bar that it has closed permanently. There's at least one guy on Reddit who's claiming that they had paid a deposit on a wedding reception, and can't find anyone to refund it. Anyone know what the deal was here?

So, spring updates -- Biltmore's couch business which had relocated to Parliament, has stopped operations. Jacob & Sebastian's location that had closed is currently being renovated as a new entrance for Mill St. Beer Hall during their own massive renovation. The Whiskey distillery on Mill continues its construction, and Pure Spirit Oyster Bar has reopened.

Last edited:
I noticed today that a major streetscaping project is underway on Mill Street.

Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 12.54.24 AM.png

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/mm/bgrd/backgroundfile-90150.pdf

IMG_2538 copy.jpg

IMG_2540 copy.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 12.54.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 12.54.24 AM.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_2538 copy.jpg
    IMG_2538 copy.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 840
  • IMG_2540 copy.jpg
    IMG_2540 copy.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 821
Ah, the triannual digging up of Mill Street is in full swing. They've added tactile paving at the corner of Mill & Parliament this time, which I'm sure is destined to be dug up, patched, and replaced about 8 more times over the next 24 months for some reason.

Good luck to this new decorative brick surface.

The TD Bank location in the Distillery is closing. As of September all clients (myself included) are being transferred to the new branch on Front St. East just east of Cherry St. I find this personally disappointing as it means a longer walk for me -- the St. Lawrence Market location is closer but brutally busy. It's also another sad example of a non-tourist business in the Distillery failing to survive. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Beer Store (Boutique) go next.

The Distillery District should grow beyond the confines of the original distillery site with the same attention to detail in terms of the public realm. I'd love to see a full public realm overhaul of Mill Street with brick or stone pavers, granite curbs, more greenery, buried utilities, and ornamental utility poles. The intersection overhaul project is a step in the right direction, but more work is needed.

Last edited:
If they're going to do a complete public realm overhaul, I wish they'd include heated sidewalks.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...lery-district-but-still-make-it-liveable.html

The Star is onto the dubious decision to approve a 49 tower that will turn Trinity Square into a dark shadowy wind-tunnel... This on the heels of the beautiful Saucier & Perotte proposal at 60 Mill Street being cut down dramatically for reasons that are not entirely clear.
The whole area is becoming unlivable for the residents. They didn't sign up to live in some Disney Mainstreet USA fake neighbourhood crowded with mobs every weekend. These new proposed buildings will make it much worse. I say wait for ROW or DRL to be built at least.

Back