News   Mar 28, 2024
 25     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 138     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 239     0 

Danforth Avenue--Victoria Park to Broadview: Then and Now

There were 2 hydrants within about 5 feet of each other on Caledonia Rd. (different colours, of course.) I think, for the most part, the mains have been linked post-amalgamation, and the redundant hydrants have been removed.

There's still a few around here (west of Dufferin) and I should know exactly where, as I walk past nearly every day, but I'll be jiggered if I can recall at the moment. Regardless, what an absolutely insane set up for an emergency service, presumably with the houses cut in two, whichever Fire Dept arrived first would get to work?

I thought this was the site of Robertson Motors (Chev/Olds dealer) in 1953 when I bought a new Chevy.
However, this TV commercial with Bruno Gerussi (1981) indicates that Robertson's was at Coxwell.
As Bogie said in Casablanca: "I was misinformed."

I remember I was cruising the danforth in my youth and it was past midnight and they had a crane blocking traffic to get that shot!!! Remembering corvettes that I used to drool over as well in their showroom...

TN Allenby-Tims.jpg
Iola-four versions.jpg

Attachments

• TN Allenby-Tims.jpg
    TN Allenby-Tims.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,608
  • Iola-four versions.jpg
    Iola-four versions.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 1,522
Robertson Motors had some competition in the 60's...Does anyone remeber Ted Davies Motors? (I don't have a picture of it unfortunately). They had a catchy radio jingle that my dad "reconfigured" for our amusement.

Robertson Motors had some competition in the 60's...Does anyone remeber Ted Davies Motors? (I don't have a picture of it unfortunately). They had a catchy radio jingle that my dad "reconfigured" for our amusement.

I believe Ted Davie was on the south side, near the foot of Donlands.
I remember that jingle too - "....... 901 Danforth Aven'yooooo."
Competition? Davie sold only used cars!

I bought my new '53 Chevy at Robertsin's for $2,250.00 !!!!!!

I believe Ted Davie was on the south side, near the foot of Donlands.
I remember that jingle too - "....... 901 Danforth Aven'yooooo."
Competition? Davie sold only used cars!

I bought my new '53 Chevy at Robertsin's for $2,250.00 !!!!!!

Thats it! Emphasis on "yoooooo" My Dad loved that jingle. They also had another one..."Try Ted Davies, Ted Davies, Ted Davies" Whenever my dad drove by it (usually on our way to my Grandparents at Gerard and Woodbine) my sister and I would say "Try Ted Potato Head". That would be about 1962 0r 63...I was 7 ish. LOL

I apologize...I wish I had pics to contribute to this and all the Then and Now threads. But these threads have brought so many warm memories of my family life growing up downtown. Makes me miss my parents just that much less.So I really want to take this opportunity to thank everyone posting....pics and comments. And I encourage anyone "lurking on the sidelines" to go thru their pic collections to post.

Ted Davy's used car lot was at 901 Danforth (it was a huge location) - somewhere in this area.
In earlier years, 1930-40's, there was a Joy Service Station at the foot of Donlands Ave.

Ted Davy 901.jpg

Attachments

• Ted Davy 901.jpg
    Ted Davy 901.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 1,475
A relative owned a pool hall on the danforth in the 70's. 417 Danforth. Does anybody have any info on it or pictures of it?

A relative owned a pool hall on the danforth in the 70's. 417 Danforth. Does anybody have any info on it or pictures of it?

According to Cinema Treasures and movie-theatre.org, your relative's pool hall was a movie theatre. The theatre opened between 1935 and 1960. The theatre was owned by Allied Theatres.

If the photos are representative, it's striking how density and building size haven't changed over seventy or more years, in spite of the replacement of the streetcar line with the BD subway. Toronto politicians seem to justify subway construction in low-density areas with the forecast that it will lead to more development, but that doesn't appear to have been the case on most of the Danforth.

According to Cinema Treasures and movie-theatre.org, your relative's pool hall was a movie theatre. The theatre opened between 1935 and 1960. The theatre was owned by Allied Theatres.

Another source tells me that the Granada Cinema was at 415 Danforth.
A side entrance for 417 can be seen here (today's image) - could the pool hall have been upstairs?

Granada cinema 415 Danforth.jpg

415-417 Danforth.jpg

Google street view

Attachments

• Granada cinema 415 Danforth.jpg
    Granada cinema 415 Danforth.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 1,354
  • 415-417 Danforth.jpg
    415-417 Danforth.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 1,231

Back