News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 691     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

It's definitely a different culture in Copenhagen but one difference I do notice is that there isn't a huge backup of traffic in those right-turning lanes as there would be here in Toronto. Nevertheless, patience is a virtue that very few people seem to have these days.

Less automobile traffic because more of the, would have been, solitary drivers are riding bicycles in Copenhagen. There is less need for a couple tons of metal, plastic, and rubber if a couple of kilograms could move that same person and take up less real estate space.

It's definitely a different culture in Copenhagen but one difference I do notice is that there isn't a huge backup of traffic in those right-turning lanes as there would be here in Toronto. Nevertheless, patience is a virtue that very few people seem to have these days.

IIRC they don't have right turns on red either, like most of Europe.

I'd love to see multiple bike lanes and a single car lane, instead of multiple car lanes and a single bike lane. Radical thinking is required to get this city bike friendly.

I'd love to see multiple bike lanes and a single car lane, instead of multiple car lanes and a single bike lane. Radical thinking is required to get this city bike friendly.
Forget multiple lanes, IMO the biggest barrier to getting the city bike friendly is the weather, where for at least 4 months of the year only the hardiest cyclists dare venture out. For everyone else, urban cycling is solely a fair to moderate weather activity.

cycle7.jpg

snow-covered-biks.jpg

The solution isn't wider lanes, but a network of covered lanes, as advocated here http://www.lifeedited.com/bike-lane-in-the-sky/

53507-Rio%20Hondo%20River%20Trail%20S%20Curve.jpg

Forget multiple lanes, IMO the biggest barrier to getting the city bike friendly is the weather, where for at least 4 months of the year only the hardiest cyclists dare venture out. For everyone else, urban cycling is solely a fair to moderate weather activity.

The solution isn't wider lanes, but a network of covered lanes, as advocated here http://www.lifeedited.com/bike-lane-in-the-sky/

Really? You think the issue is the thing that affects everyone maybe one-third of the year (sometimes less)? I see people walking in that first photo, even though one might argue it's too cold to be a pedestrian - they adapt and we cater to them by clearing sidewalks (thought not as much as we could or should). That one bike lane with the canopy looks cool but it is probably going to be decried as wasteful spending right from the word go. Clearing roads and sidewalks for all users seems like an easier sell and if you make sidewalks and roads easier to use, the only issue that really remains is the cold - the response to which is the individual's choice.

Seriously, have you ever been to Copenhagen? Somehow the cold weather doesn't seem to be a problem for the Danes...

If Copenhagen is too European for you, try Minneapolis. If you build the infrastructure, they will come.

Edit: Also, Montreal. Toronto is not a special snowflake. With proper snow clearing, winter cycling is just fine in Toronto, as it is in other cold cities.

Before I moved (I now walk to work), I was a cold-weather cyclist; only the snow and ice would keep me off the roads; you can always dress for the cold, and you heat up quickly riding so heavy parkas are not at all required.

You could say the same thing about driving. If we didn't clear and salt the roads, most people would not be able to drive to work in the winter.

The solution for cycling is the same - clear and salt the bike lanes. Perhaps provide some more covered bike stations for lockup.

Seriously, have you ever been to Copenhagen? Somehow the cold weather doesn't seem to be a problem for the Danes...

If Copenhagen is too European for you, try Minneapolis. If you build the infrastructure, they will come.

Edit: Also, Montreal. Toronto is not a special snowflake. With proper snow clearing, winter cycling is just fine in Toronto, as it is in other cold cities.

In fairness, Copenhagen's winters are more rainy and dark than snowy; when they do get snow, it's a moderate amount by Toronto standards but it's cleared from the bike paths and roads (in that order) very quickly. Other Scandinavian cities that get more snow and are colder are starting to realize that there isn't really any excuse not to clear the snow and what's really holding them back is that they didn't build the infrastructure that Denmark did; they have the space but didn't do much more than divide up sidewalks with lines of paint.

You could say the same thing about driving. If we didn't clear and salt the roads, most people would not be able to drive to work in the winter.

The solution for cycling is the same - clear and salt the bike lanes. Perhaps provide some more covered bike stations for lockup.
When the roads are cleared, I'd say pretty much the same number of cars are on the road, especially during the commute. I agree we should clear the bikes paths and sidewalks, but to suggest that clearing the paths would have an equal affect on bike use is at best inaccurate. As a young adult I cycled in all weathers and simply rode on the curb lane.

Back